Gibson Brands Forums

A creaky sound???????????

duane v

As some of you may know, I'm a string bender. But I've noticed that my Gibby MM makes a random wood creaky sound when I bend more than a full step....

Now I'm assuming it's creaky wood, certainly it can be something else...... Does anyone else have this anomaly with any of their guitars?

Nope. But I guess all you can do is try to replicate it with your left hand and feel around with your right. If it were a Fender I'd be looking in the neck pocket but that doesn't work here. I'd be looking in weird places like the bridge/tailpiece studs, looking to see if the tuners are tight to the headstock, even wondering if the truss rod is shifting in it's rout.

One of the bass players I play with can replicate a creaking mast on a pirate ship on his old Jazz Bass. The first few times it happened by accident, then he figured out how to do it on demand. It turns out to be his leather strap rubbing the body of the bass.

Does your MM creak without a strap attached?

And... I was going to ask how much you hear it amplified vs. unamplified...

That can offer a clue.

I know I had problems with a pick guard on a hollow once. Buzzed like the very devil and I blamed everything you could imagine for it. The it turned out it was a pick guard buzzing on the bridge pickup assembly. Added a little bit of the felt you put on the bottom of stuff you put on a shelf and voila!

I also have had buzzing in my guitar/office at home where it's stuff on the amp. <grin>

Could be the nut, too, on the side on which the string is going when you bend it - or just a little something on the bridge.

Sure the frets are smooth in that direction, too?

m

I get that sound sometimes, your fingertip may be making too much contact with the fretboard while you are bending.

That is my guess especially if you are bending slow. It does sound like the creaking of a pirate ship mast.

Now if it was this guitar the creaking would make sense:

normal_Johnny-Depp-guitar.jpg

Archived