Gibson Brands Forums

Do it....RS GuitarWorks

Bluemoon

If you are thinking of replacing your wiring, pots, and caps in your Les Paul...it is worth it. I did it on my Les Paul Standard (used the RS vintage kit) and it made the tone pots way more responsive.

Here's an added incentive.

---------------------------------------------------------

RS Guitarworks Memorial Day 20% Off Sale!

From Friday, May 28th at 11:59pm Eastern, until Monday, May 31st at 11:59pm Eastern, we will offer all items at a 20% discount!

We will not honor any special orders or special shipping. Only items offered on this site are on sale and we will only accept discounts for orders placed online ONLY!

I did it to my Explorer and it is a great improvement if you go with the volume "superpots" @ 500k, the response is very linear.

I am thinking about doing it to my R8 but I am undecided since the stock pots are already 500k pots and for what I understand the taper is better since 2008 so I am not sure but it is time to decide with a 20% on the table.

I am thinking about doing it to my R8 but I am undecided since the stock pots are already 500k pots and for what I understand the taper is better since 2008 so I am not sure but it is time to decide with a 20% on the table.

Since '09. The '08s still had linear taper pots. The new pots first came with the 50th anniversary R9s. I don't know if you'd notice a difference by swapping your pots but RS pots are better in the sense that they're more consistent. You might get a slightly warmer tone if you replace the caps; really depends on the guitar. Worst case scenario' date=' it's the placebo effect and you sleep better knowing your R8 has PIO caps. [biggrin

Thanks Tim, my R8 is a 2009 and has the nylon nut and wireless bridge so I am sure it has the new pots. They are still "torky" just hard to turn.

Those superpots for the volume position from RS are something else though, they work like a pot should 1-10 IMO. I will think about it.

I have a few PIO caps I will be trying out this weekend, I am changing the wiring to 50's style and using some alligator clips and trying out those caps I already have.

They are real - they're real paper in oil caps; just like the original Bees but these Luxe Bees are brand new reproductions. I have several old Bees and no, they're not dried up.

...and before anyone asks - Luxe Bumblebees and Luxe Grey Tigers are the exact same capacitors. They just look different and the Bees cost an extra $2.

tell me more about these kits guys, Ive got an '01 SG Special, Im sure it has the 250k V pots, what will dropping a kit in from those guys do and what do you recommend ? I was on their site and looks pretty good, how are these kits installed ? any soldering ? I assume you have to solder the PUP wires on right ? Thanks for your input

Archived