Gibson Brands Forums

Gig Problem

ARATSTJ

Playin a gig at a local hotel.

Having a problem with the management tho.

Anyone care to offer sage advice?

They won't let us put up our sign out the front saying we are here tonight!

Name of the band?

Free Beer!

Sign?.

"Free Beer here tonight!"

I would venture it is NOT false advertising! [biggrin] [biggrin] #-o

Cheers

(P.s. yes - we are on a percentage of the door takings)!

Look at it from their side. They have a business (the Hotel) that they have invested time and money to develop. What do you think will happen if you were to put up the Free Beer sign? What kind of clientele to you expect to attract? Do some research. What is the history of events of this nature? Your best bet is to seek a compromise and see if you can get your band's name posted. Give up the idea of the Free Beer sign.

And if you are giving away free beer, watch yer gear by the end of the night. [cool]

What Ken said. Additionally, you guys should try to come up with a better name; "Free Beer" is one of those band names that somebody ALWAYS suggests when a group is trying to decide on one, kind of like "Van Zeppelin" or "Led Halen." Everyone has a chuckle then moves on to other ideas.

Doh, I didn't get the band name joke. But my comments still stand.

Funny story. Back in the early 70's a group I was in wanted to re-tool, play hipper music and come up with a clever name. One of the guys, probably in a drug induced haze, suggested we call the band Sh?t (replace the ? with i). He said "then when people come in the club and say, they sound like Sh?t, our buddies could say, "yep, that's them". We fired him. [blink]

Sage advice?

Change your name. It's cute but it's deceptive.

I wouldn't let you put a "Free Beer" sign in front of my establishment.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

This site is the greatest...

WOW thanks for the links' date=' Notes_Norton! I asked a question about "backing tracks" in the 'recording room' on this forum and received some advice. Helpful but I needed the "Making Backing Tracks for Dummies " version.

BUT having just read your Norton music site about how you make tracks has provided that "eureka" moment for me.

I noticed your article on backing tracks was written in 2007 do you have any advice as to current available BIAB versions and midi sequencers ? What about dedicated laptops? any current recommendations? I'm starting from scratch.

Thanks Notes_Norton

[blink

PS didn't mean to hijack this "free beer" thread.

Notes_Norton you could respond to my queries in the Recording Room of this Forum.

Thanks again.

Recording room "backing Tracks" ?

Perhaps if the sign CLEARLY indicates it is a band and not a promotion?

"LIVE TONIGHT at "Insert Name of Bar"

- FREE BEER-

onstage at 9 PM."

or whatever and see if the manager will go for it.

Or change the name.... which is the best idea. It will be more trouble than it's worth, I think. Besides, it is likely taken by the morning radio duo "Free Beer & Hotwingz", anyway.

Other band names that might create a similar issue:

Closed For Remodeling

Condemned For Health Code Violations

Home For The Criminally Insane

Band names you might consider, that would likely solve your problem and allow you to keep the name despite all the excellent advice to the contrary:

Fri Bier

Friebier

Free Bier

Freebere

Fre Ber

Oh, and for the record, AXE® is the only one I know qualified to give "Sage" advice....

get it?? Sage advice??

/chuckle.

Its a put on. He ain't even in a band.

In that case, I regret removing the section of my post where I accused him of doing bong hits and eating cheeseburgers while naming the band.....

:)

Archived