Gibson Brands Forums

60 reissue LP Classic

Josh James

It's a "Reissue" according to Gibson's marketing department. But, yeah, at $1,500 you should have no problem talking him down to at least $1,200-$1,250

I got mine (an '01 Classic) for $1,250 (original asking price was $1,400). If it's in good condition, I'd say go for it.

ok fair enough' date=' you don't think it would be much of a upgrade to my BFG? Of course that is a opinion based decision I understand. I might just be better off getting a traditional pro..hmmm

J[/quote']It would be a HUGE upgrade from the BFG! The Classic is basically an LP Standard w/a slim-taper neck, and ceramic (490R/498T) pickups.

Why do you think it would be upgrade? the BFG does produce some nice sounds and has high end pup's. Is it the wood, more sustain that makes it a better guitar. Will I notice a huge tonal difference between the two? The only other Les Paul I have played was a VOS 60 reissue, which was like 3500 bucks..and it was magic, but I cannot afford that.

J

It's not an upgrade unless you think it looks better than the BFG. Geometrically it's pretty much identical. With the same pickups installed, there will be no difference in sound. If you're looking for tone improvement - buy a new amp.

It would be a HUGE upgrade from the BFG! The Classic is basically an LP Standard w/a slim-taper neck' date=' and ceramic (490R/498T) pickups.

[/quote']

Actually the Classic pickups are 496R/500T.

IMHO the BFG is better looking, I can't handle the p!ss green inlays on the Classic.

I agree that something around $1200 would be good. Consider that you very well may want to change the 486r & 500t pickups. I really don't care for those pickups. And most agree.

Your BFG will sound better and the Classic will look better IMO.

It's not an upgrade unless you think it looks better than the BFG. Geometrically it's pretty much identical. With the same pickups installed' date=' there will be no difference in sound. If you're looking for tone improvement - buy a new amp.

Actually the Classic pickups are 496R/500T.

IMHO the BFG is better looking, I can't handle the p!ss green inlays on the Classic.

[/quote']True and +1. And the pickups on early Classics were/are 496R/500T. From 2000-2008 they had 496R/498T, which is what's in my '01 Classic.

You are on to something, I think? =) It was sold already..boo. I really just want a "real" les paul. I have had many people say that my BFG is not a real les Paul and is not comparable in quality or sustain. I'll just keep savin' my chedda' till then.

J

You are on to something' date=' I think? =) It was sold already..boo. I really just want a "real" les paul. I have had many people say that my BFG is not a real les Paul and is not comparable in quality or sustain. I'll just keep savin' my chedda' till then.

J[/quote']

Forget them. It's made by Gibson isn't it? It's a the LP shape and design. It's just a little stripped down but is is still a Les Paul. at least according to gibson.com

Don't mean to offend any 496r 500t fans. I can see how they would be great for certain styles. They just don't work for me and I don't think they really belong on a guitar called a "Classic". Just my opinion.

I didn't know they did them with 490r and 498t though. I would be happy with that.

Don't mean to offend any 496r 500t fans. I can see how they would be great for certain styles. They just don't work for me and I don't think they really belong on a guitar called a "Classic". Just my opinion.

I didn't know they did them with 490r and 498t though. I would be happy with that.

I have a 2007 Classic... It came from the factory with the 496r 500t installed... I love them. They bite really hard and if you need them to be a bit cleaner just lower them down and the clean up nicely...

Guest rogerb

The Les Paul Classic was intended to just give the flavor of an LP made in 1960 (60's neck profile, single cutaway, etc) it isn't historically accurate. Historic reissues are left to the custom shop historic division. The 496R and 500T are very hot ceramic magnet pickups getting into the super distortion range, definitely won't be everyone's preference.

Archived