Gibson Brands Forums

Let it go or run my mouth? (ebay)

ksdaddy

Moral/ethical quandary here.

I bought a rough old Applause on ebay on 5/16. Ten bucks. Yep, ten lousy bucks. A week later it hadn't arrived. No biggie. I emailed and asked (nicely) when it was shipped and if they had a tracking number, would they share it with me? No repsonse. On 5/28 I opened a claim with ebay for an item not received. This morning (6/2) I got an email from them with a tracking number, stating it was being shipped today... or went out today (whatever). They gave some lame excuse about losing their full time shipper and how that caused delays. Didn't stop them from adding more items to ebay every day though.

One side of me says let it go. I'm swamped with projects already so if that tupperware takes a couple extra weeks to get here (and join the queue) then it's no big deal, especially given the tiny money involved.

Another side says, wait a second.... it's my duty to leave feedback. What if it had been a birthday gift or textbooks or concert tickets or some other scenario where time was a factor? What if someone paid $15,000 for a vintage guitar and there was no communication for 16 days?

I'm truly not hurt by this sloppy transaction but someone else might have more at stake.

Turn the other cheek or let others know?

Be patient.

Wait another week.

Then act.

I bought an Andre Either Rookie Card from someone in Canada. Paid for it on May 17. Still haven't received it. After contacting them twice now, I've decided to wait until June 17 before opening a claim. One month is certainly reasonable. I'm in no hurry.

Depends on if he's got loads of other bad feedback for the same thing. Is it worth potentially ruining someone's online business if they legitimately had a problem with their full time guy?

I would be upset too if my item didn't arrive, as I'm not a patient person, but my advice would be to look at his feedback and really think if it's worth screwing with it if you believe he was geniunely in a bind with his employees.

Also, if it WAS something time sensitive don't you think they'd take more time with it rather than a 10$ item? Did you email them to tell them it was time sensitive to you?

Iunno, things to think about.

Be patient.

Wait another week.

Then act.

I bought an Andre Either Rookie Card from someone in Canada. Paid for it on May 17. Still haven't received it. After contacting them twice now' date=' I've decided to wait until June 17 before opening a claim. One month is certainly reasonable. I'm in no hurry.[/quote']

Now I know why I get lousy service from sellers with 99%-100% positive feedback... Look folks if we don't scold those who provide poor service, that is exactly what we will all get... Poor service...

There have to be consequences for being lazy and incompetent...

Be patient.

Wait another week.

Then act.

I bought an Andre Either Rookie Card from someone in Canada. Paid for it on May 17. Still haven't received it. After contacting them twice now' date=' I've decided to wait until June 17 before opening a claim. One month is certainly reasonable. I'm in no hurry.[/quote']

That makes sense - it often takes 3-4 weeks for merchandise to make its way across the borders these days....you don't always know when its the sellers fault vs Homeland Security....look for the post mark date before you complain when dealing over borders I say....

wait the 45 days. (per ebay policy)

Leaving a negative feedback is the wrong thing to do, especially for ebay sellers that have no recourse for leaving negative feedbacks for buyers. If the sellers has a good feedback rating, give them a chance to make things right or refund your money.

Now I know why I get lousy service from sellers with 99%-100% positive feedback... Look folks if we don't scold those who provide poor service' date=' that is exactly what we will all get... Poor service...

There have to be consequences for being lazy and incompetent... [/quote']

Absolutely. I work in retail marketing, and I treasure the negative comments we get on surveys and reviews because they are our best clues about where to focus on getting better. No merchant should get to protect their reputation at the expense of a customer. It should be a simple matter of whether they lived up to their promises or not.

I think I've just still got a little case of redass from a transaction back in March. I sold a banjo resonator for $30 and shipped it the very next day, parcel post, no delivery confirmation. I think I charged him $10 or $11 shipping, and it took all of that. He *****ed I should have been able to send it by priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance and a big effin' blue ribbon on it for that money. A month went by and the guy claimed he hadn't received it. My word against his, period. I took the high road and gave him his money back, which some would say I was a sap to do.... okay, I'm a sap, but a sap who shipped promptly and emailed him and told him so as soon as it went. He was abusive and borderline threatening in his emails and I just figured, 'let the baby have his bottle'.

So you can see why I'm a little miffed at the lack of communication by this seller, who takes a cavalier attitude towards the whole transaction. Still, I don't drop the 'negative' bomb unless there's downright fraud.... thus the quandary.

Well, I ain't gotten into the ebay buying or selling thing for roughly this same sort of reason.

OTOH, it seems to me that since email is free, it's not that hard to keep a file and email people when something comes or goes, at least not when there's money and property involved.

m

".... losing their full time shipper..." [biggrin]

What the devil does that mean? UPS? FEDEX? Bobby Jo down the street who drives a jitney? The guy who boxes and tapes it up?

Either way, His problem shouldn't be YOUR problem. Communications were definitely in order and weren't done. After you get the tupperware, tell Ebay what you know and leave it go at that. How else are they gonna learn?

Agreed....2 weeks of no communication is HORRIBLE. I would never buy from someone who didn't return emails or send a proactive email to all their customers expecting shipments telling them that they've lost their Full Time shipper and delivery would be delayed.

Its really that easy yous guys....

KSDaddy - I'll bet you have 100% feedback. Why - because you always give better service than is necessary or even expected. That's the key to keeping your good feedback rating. If you're always the good guy, then you'll always have good feedback. The people who want to teach the bad guys a lesson are the ones who get into disputes.

I sold a speaker about three weeks ago. The guy didn't pay and wouldn't respond to like 5 emails. So who cares. BFD!!

I just resold the speaker and went on with my life.

Plus, like you said, it's only ten bucks. No sense making any more trouble than you already have.

[biggrin]

Just a thought.

If I were a disreputable sort... I'd set my sights for a heavy Ebay user with a 100% satisfaction rating. Why? Anyone with more than 1000 transactions and not one single, solitary, negative feedback... is definitely doing whatever possible to protect that 100% rating.

Sometimes I think like a disreputable sort. [bored]

Archived