Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Hey Guys, Any of you use a Imac computer? I know how to use camera on front of it, it always reverses the image for some reason, I want to use it when I hopefully receive my Burst on Friday.

I know how to send a picture thru email as a attachment, but I don't know how to send it up thru to this forum as I never have tried... If one of you can put up in simple laymen terms you can p.m. me, I only see how to put on with a pc.

And I am NOT going THAT route..... I would appreciate it very much.. Thanx. Scott [confused]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys, Any of you use a Imac computer? I know how to use camera on front of it, it always reverses the image for some reason, I want to use it when I hopefully receive my Burst on Friday.

I know how to send a picture thru email as a attachment, but I don't know how to send it up thru to this forum as I never have tried... If one of you can put up in simple laymen terms you can p.m. me, I only see how to put on with a pc.

And I am NOT going THAT route..... I would appreciate it very much.. Thanx. Scott [confused]

I have a MacBook. I think you're using PhotoBooth for the photograph, right? Drag the image from the PhotoBooth image to your desktop. Double click and it will be opened by Preview. Go to Tools and drop down to Flip Horizontal to reverse the image to normal. Save As jpeg to save the reversed image. Give it any title you want. After you've opened the Reply window in the Forum, click on Choose File and your saved image should be in the Desktop window. Choose the file as an attachment. Click Attach This File and a tiny thumbnail should appear. Then click on Add Reply. If all is well (this is actually the first time I'm doing this) you should have your picture posted. I don't have my CB yet so I've (horrors!!) attached a thermal pic of my modded Lead I.

post-16159-024229300 1283473138_thumb.jpg

Mine arrived today courtesy of Sam Ash in Richmond, VA. Pickguard kind of scratched up, neck pickup was at an odd angle. Tried adjusting it and moved it some but it still doesn't seem to sit right. There's a tiny chip in the finish bewteen the toggle switch and the neck pickup...about the size of matchstick head. Also has the same sloppy part in the finish where the neck seam joins the body mentioned previously.

How are the controls supposed to be wired? Upper controls work with the neck pickup when toggle is in the up position, lower controls work with the bridge pickup when toggle is in the down position. I get that and it's all good. Middle position has me stumped. Only works with the upper controls when in the middle position. Is that how it's supposed to be or do I have a problem?

What else is supposed to come in the bag? Mine came with a warranty card, owner's manual and an inspection checklist. Expected a truss rod tool but guess not so much anymore.

Really love how it plays and sounds through my Mesa. I'm not so concerned about the neck seam issue. You have to really look for it and then you go..."oh I see what he was talking about". The wiring may or may not be messed up and if it is, should be an easy fix and covered under warranty if it comes to that. I just wish it didn't have the little chip. There doesn't appear to be much I can do about that and it's not like I can send it back for another one. I know I'm lucky to have gotten my hands on one thanks to some of you on this forum after getting cancelled from MF/M123. I just need to decide if I can live with the small imperfection in the finish.

If I could get some scoop on the wiring issue and the middle toggle position, would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rob

I have a MacBook. I think you're using PhotoBooth for the photograph, right? Drag the image from the PhotoBooth image to your desktop. Double click and it will be opened by Preview. Go to Tools and drop down to Flip Horizontal to reverse the image to normal. Save As jpeg to save the reversed image. Give it any title you want. After you've opened the Reply window in the Forum, click on Choose File and your saved image should be in the Desktop window. Choose the file as an attachment. Click Attach This File and a tiny thumbnail should appear. Then click on Add Reply. If all is well (this is actually the first time I'm doing this) you should have your picture posted. I don't have my CB yet so I've (horrors!!) attached a thermal pic of my modded Lead I.

Thanx, I will try that when I get a few minutes. Yes I use photobooth. I am receiving the new ipod very soon, 4th gen. It ships next week some time, it has 720 p back pics. and video plus a front one as well.

I think that might work as well, I wonder if that's done the same way?? I think my IMAC I7 is the same as your photobooth.. Thanx [smile]

Thanx, I will try that when I get a few minutes. Yes I use photobooth. I am receiving the new ipod very soon, 4th gen. It ships next week some time, it has 720 p back pics. and video plus a front one as well.

I think that might work as well, I wonder if that's done the same way?? I think my IMAC I7 is the same as your photobooth.. Thanx [smile]

My PhotoBooth can do simple movies (in reverse) and I use it for instantly saving ideas that might pop up while I'm noodling around. How many times have been playing around and take off on an idea only to forget what it was about later on? PB is not hi-fi but it's push button easy and works well for simple recordings/music sketches.

Mine arrived today courtesy of Sam Ash in Richmond, VA. Pickguard kind of scratched up, neck pickup was at an odd angle. Tried adjusting it and moved it some but it still doesn't seem to sit right. There's a tiny chip in the finish bewteen the toggle switch and the neck pickup...about the size of matchstick head. Also has the same sloppy part in the finish where the neck seam joins the body mentioned previously.

How are the controls supposed to be wired? Upper controls work with the neck pickup when toggle is in the up position, lower controls work with the bridge pickup when toggle is in the down position. I get that and it's all good. Middle position has me stumped. Only works with the upper controls when in the middle position. Is that how it's supposed to be or do I have a problem?

What else is supposed to come in the bag? Mine came with a warranty card, owner's manual and an inspection checklist. Expected a truss rod tool but guess not so much anymore.

Really love how it plays and sounds through my Mesa. I'm not so concerned about the neck seam issue. You have to really look for it and then you go..."oh I see what he was talking about". The wiring may or may not be messed up and if it is, should be an easy fix and covered under warranty if it comes to that. I just wish it didn't have the little chip. There doesn't appear to be much I can do about that and it's not like I can send it back for another one. I know I'm lucky to have gotten my hands on one thanks to some of you on this forum after getting cancelled from MF/M123. I just need to decide if I can live with the small imperfection in the finish.

If I could get some scoop on the wiring issue and the middle toggle position, would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rob

I wouldn't get too worked up about the chip. I have a 2009 Cherry Burst Faded Maple Studio that, despite being treated very well, has several chips in it already. For comparison, I have a 25 year old Les Paul that has been refretted but the finish still looks great! The faded Gibbys have VERY thin finish. I think that may be why Gibson is pre-damaging them. Worn look = Limited Liability :-k

I wouldn't get too worked up about the chip. I have a 2009 Cherry Burst Faded Maple Studio that, despite being treated very well, has several chips in it already. For comparison, I have a 25 year old Les Paul that has been refretted but the finish still looks great! The faded Gibbys have VERY thin finish. I think that may be why Gibson is pre-damaging them. Worn look = Limited Liability :-k

Re: Pickup selection: I would expect all four controls would be active with the pickup selector in the middle position. Can you tell a significant difference between neck and middle position tones? What you describe leaves out the volume and tone for the bridge pickup. Anyone else have this arrangement?

Re: Pickup selection: I would expect all four controls would be active with the pickup selector in the middle position. Can you tell a significant difference between neck and middle position tones? What you describe leaves out the volume and tone for the bridge pickup. Anyone else have this arrangement?

I thought so as well but when neck volume was on zero, there was no sound with toggle in the middle position.. Also bridge tone had no effect on the overall tone when in middle position. Is this how it was in the 50's?

Just a heads up. Adam from the SamAsh in Hollywood, Ca called me this afternoon to let me know my GT had shipped out. When I spoke to him, he was fairly certain he was getting a few more 50's Tributes in tomorrow. He expected at least one of them to be a HoneyBurst. If you are interested give him a call tomorrow.

Controls work just as a regular Les Paul. In the center postion both volume and tone controls should work on their own PUP; but if one volume is turned all the way down, it mutes the guitar. Until the 1 is turned up to 3 or so, it still dumps a bunch of the other PUPs sound, even if that one's volume is at 10. More or less the lower set one can overide the other for both PUPs, especially at the lower settings (because that pot's center lug (where the switch/output is connected) vs. ground lug becomes the lowest resistance path for the combined signal).

The Tribute is wired only slightly differently then a Traditional, but it should work the same. On the Tribute, a piece of brown wire connects the PUP input at the volume pot outer lug to the tone pot outer lug, then the tone cap comes off the center tone pot lug and goes to ground on the back of the pot. On a Traditional, the tone cap connects w/the PUP input at the outer volume lug to the tone pot center lug directly, and the outer tone lug gets grounded directly to the pot (no extra wire).

Anyway, I changed mine to 50s style w/independent volume control wiring, as I like the extra treble & the better volume control in the middle position. This moves the switch/output to the outer lug of the volume controls w/the cap, and the PUP input to the center, so no matter what the vol is set at, there is always the full resistance of the pot to keep the combined output signal from back-feeding through 1 pot to ground (you are dumping the input from 1 PUP to ground, not the combined output).

NEWS FLASH!!!

For those who are still looking to get theri 50s tribute, I have great news again. I just spoke to Sonny at Sam Ash Hollywood, CA and they are getting in one more GT. They have TWO Honeyburst on hand as I speak. He also told me as he was looking at his computer, that there are no GT left in the CA chain. Yes, all the GT has been spoken for in CA. Call Sonny NOW before they close at 9PM PST.!!!!

Just a heads up. Adam from the SamAsh in Hollywood, Ca called me this afternoon to let me know my GT had shipped out. When I spoke to him, he was fairly certain he was getting a few more 50's Tributes in tomorrow. He expected at least one of them to be a HoneyBurst. If you are interested give him a call tomorrow.

Hhehe....we both are like news correspondence for Sam Ash, Hollywood [biggrin]

NEWS FLASH!!!

For those who are still looking to get theri 50s tribute, I have great news again. I just spoke to Sonny at Sam Ash Hollywood, CA and they are getting in one more GT. They have TWO Honeyburst on hand as I speak. He also told me as he was looking at his computer, that there are no GT left in the CA chain. Yes, all the GT has been spoken for in CA. Call Sonny NOW before they close at 9PM PST.!!!!

What I have noticed with the shipments is, more guitars on the west side of country, then east coast, it appears the midwest is getting less for some reason??

Just my observation for what it's worth.

What I have noticed with the shipments is, more guitars on the west side of country, then east coast, it appears the midwest is getting less for some reason??

Just my observation for what it's worth.

Has anyone checked the Sam Ash store in Ohio? Closest one to me, but I've got mine already... (GT came from NYC).

Here is another video I found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83-pmQIT2g

still waiting for my HB to arrive here in germany, btw. sweet guitars you got there guys! Some more soundsamples or videos would be awesome! [thumbup]

Okay, if GC can't give me a date today I'm looking elsewhere for one of these. This is a good sound sample: various tonal positions, different pickups. Sounds great.

Okay, if GC can't give me a date today I'm looking elsewhere for one of these. This is a good sound sample: various tonal positions, different pickups. Sounds great.

I think you maybe too late. As others have already searched out the elusive 50s tribute and found many of them at Sam Ash. All the 50s tribute in the local Sam Ash stores maybe gone by this memorial day weekend. I heard that GC, MF and other vendors may get theirs by late Sept at the earliest. You should of jumped on the leads when many who got thier tributes from their Sam Ash stores and posted valuable info on which Sam Ash still has them.

You are located in CA, and there were so many Sam Ash in CA that had them.

I think you maybe too late. As others have already searched out the elusive 50s tribute and found many of them at Sam Ash. All the 50s tribute in the local Sam Ash stores maybe gone by this memorial day weekend. I heard that GC, MF and other vendors may get theirs by late Sept at the earliest. You should of jumped on the leads when many who got thier tributes from their Sam Ash stores and posted valuable info on which Sam Ash still has them.

You are located in CA, and there were so many Sam Ash in CA that had them.

Well, I've got a pre-paid cherry burst that will eventually show up at G.C., so it's not a crucial situation for me. But, I'll look around anyway. Gibson dropped the ball on this one. It's like having a room full of kids and randomly passing out candy to a few of them and asking the rest to come back in a month (or two!). And, of course, those who actually paid up front and didn't get any will be disappointed. But, the guitar looks like a keeper no matter when it comes.

Well, I've got a pre-paid cherry burst that will eventually show up at G.C., so it's not a crucial situation for me. But, I'll look around anyway. Gibson dropped the ball on this one. It's like having a room full of kids and randomly passing out candy to a few of them and asking the rest to come back in a month (or two!). And, of course, those who actually paid up front and didn't get any will be disappointed. But, the guitar looks like a keeper no matter when it comes.

I had a pre order also from my local GC, and the Sam Ash just across the street from them had the GT. I purchased the GT and walked across the street to GC and showed them and I said "Canel my pre order"! They refunded the $849 back to my GC card with no hassle and they were apologetic and was stunned that Sam Ash had theirs already as date promised on 8/31.

You could of done the same IMHO as these elusive 50s tribute are hard to get, specially the GT colors. You could of saved yourself the wait and uncertainty and have the guitar already. Pre order does not guarantee you will get a guitar.

Well, those of us who paid up front didn't pay Gibson. We paid the retailer. And I can't see it as Gibson dropping the ball. They had to deal with the flood, otherwise the entire run would be in peoples hands (and hanging on store walls) right now. But they delivered some to a chain (can't speak on the order of delivery, I have no idea how they determine that- Did Sam Ash order theirs first? Could be, we have no way of knowing). The alternative I suppose would have been to hold them all in the Gibson warehouse and only ship when the entire run was ready to go. That would just be foolish. But I see what you mean about the kids and the candy. Just the way it's going to be I guess. I don't see how they could reasonably have prevented it.

Well, those of us who paid up front didn't pay Gibson. We paid the retailer. And I can't see it as Gibson dropping the ball. They had to deal with the flood, otherwise the entire run would be in peoples hands (and hanging on store walls) right now. But they delivered some to a chain (can't speak on the order of delivery, I have no idea how they determine that- Did Sam Ash order theirs first? Could be, we have no way of knowing). The alternative I suppose would have been to hold them all in the Gibson warehouse and only ship when the entire run was ready to go. That would just be foolish. But I see what you mean about the kids and the candy. Just the way it's going to be I guess. I don't see how they could reasonably have prevented it.

T Bone,

On your QC slip that came with your GT, what date was it inspected? Mine was 8/24/10. The Sam Ash store I purchased it from on 8/31 got the guitar on 8/30. So there was a 6 day time frame when it left Gibson to Sam Ash. That was pretty fast IMHO.

I had a pre order also from my local GC, and the Sam Ash just across the street from them had the GT. I purchased the GT and walked across the street to GC and showed them and I said "Canel my pre order"! They refunded the $849 back to my GC card with no hassle and they were apologetic and was stunned that Sam Ash had theirs already as date promised on 8/31.

You could of done the same IMHO as these elusive 50s tribute are hard to get, specially the GT colors. You could of saved yourself the wait and uncertainty and have the guitar already. Pre order does not guarantee you will get a guitar.

If I pre-paid, put my money where my order was, then I should be guaranteed a guitar. There should be no question on that. I'm not in dire need of the guitar, otherwise I would have called around the country like the others on this forum to try to track one down. I am interested in whether your guitar has the same arrangement on the controls as another poster here: Do the volume and tone controls for the bridge pickup work when the pup selector activates both pickups, middle position?

I disagree. After waiting two or three months the first person offered this limited edition 'sold-out' guitar by Gibson is a brick and mortar walk-in? Gibson should have looked a little bit ahead and given a date when the production would be complete and then sent the guitars. Nonetheless, it still looks like a keeper to me.

Do the volume and tone controls for the bridge pickup work when the pup selector activates both pickups, middle position?

Answered this on page 55 #1087.

"Controls work just as a regular Les Paul. In the center postion both volume and tone controls should work on their own PUP;..."

If I pre-paid, put my money where my order was, then I should be guaranteed a guitar. There should be no question on that....I disagree. After waiting two or three months the first person offered this limited edition 'sold-out' guitar by Gibson is a brick and mortar walk-in?

Talk to your dealer - they took the order. I don't think Gibson knows (or cares really when shipping) what buyers/fans/customers ordered what, only what dealers, up to the limit. My local guys had pre-floods way back when, then recently got in a white and SB, but supposedly have 20 GTs on order! And those are NOT pre-orders, but they had their order in, and Gibson is supposed to honor it.

Glad they are moving them, and their other products, out ASAP when ready...saw a couple nice new Gibsons I wouldn't mind grabbing - lets me think hard about getting another 50's! Anyway, I have to imagine Gibson can use the cash flow! (not sure how that all works though!).

Archived