Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Different models, Different Specifications.....????????

onewilyfool

I went out to buy a J-45 and it is confusing I admit-I bought the standard issue MC with the soundhole fishman pickup.

If you are at a certain pricepoint stick to it-fancy spruce top woods,rosewood sides and backs,upscale tuners,it just goes on and on can wind up adding thousands to your purchase price-mine is a standard MC and with case came to about $2100 dollars-I have seen some J-45 as high as $9000-out of my range.Buy the std-your basic 45 that is a beautiful sounding instrument with all the fluff-leave the signature models to the collectors-by the way it is the best sounding acoustic I have ever owned and I have been buying guitars since the 1960s-just go out and find some guitars and play a bunch of them-when you find the one that has the tone and feel you want,buy it! hand assembled acoustic guitars all sound a little different but I found the right one and I now own it-

Don't know what designated a J-45 to be a Modern Classic to be honest - I think nowadays the MC is the 'standard' anyway. So you just have Standard, Standard RW, and TV.

The TV has a lot of features over the standard which make it, a lot of people would say, better. Adi top, hide glue, thinner overall - lighter anyway, I personally like the finish more (inc. banner headstock which is a nice touch). I haven't played 10s or 100s of J-45s but people who have say the TV is worth the extra cash. The shop I got mine from were selling the TV for something like £200 more than the standard, so I snapped it up.

The TV models are a small upgrade over the MCs as far as I recall. The Legend model is/was(?) hide glue and a strong attempt to reproduce the original ones. TVs got a fancy case, green knob tuners, a red label, and we all sort of hope they got a better choice of woods too but I don't think Gibson ever said that was so. The Adi top used on some TVs may be the biggest distinction between TVs and MCs and they aren't using the TV/MC model nomenclature any more.

J-185 TVs got Madagascar Rosewood fingerboards and bridge but not an Adi top. I love mine and prefer Sitka tops anyway so I am not disappointed there.

I think the person typing the labels to stick inside the guitars just gets bored...

Ditto.

If Gibson changed the shape, scale, or bracing on the guitar, it wouldn't be a J-45 anymore.

That essentially leaves possible avriations in cosmetics, electronics, tonewood, and price.

The TV models are a small upgrade over the MCs as far as I recall. The Legend model is/was(?) hide glue and a strong attempt to reproduce the original ones. TVs got a fancy case' date=' green knob tuners, a red label, and we all sort of hope they got a better choice of woods too but I don't think Gibson ever said that was so. The Adi top used on some TVs may be the biggest distinction between TVs and MCs and they aren't using the TV/MC model nomenclature any more.

J-185 TVs got Madagascar Rosewood fingerboards and bridge but not an Adi top. I love mine and prefer Sitka tops anyway so I am not disappointed there. [/quote']

Er... they do still have the J-45 TV line

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-True-Vintage.aspx

I'm not sure what the TV was like before, but I know in 2009 they changed it to what's at the link above, which is why I got one.

Here are the different J-45s you can get (not including sig models):

Standard - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-Standard.aspx

Custom - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-Custom.aspx

TV - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-True-Vintage.aspx

Legend - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/1942-J-45-Legend.aspx

I haven't read all the specs but I think custom is just fancier, TV is 'better', and Legend is 'better' still. There's quite a lot of info there though to help you make a choice if you're looking to buy.

The Custom has rosewood back and sides and fancy abalone inlays, but I noticed that they don't specify what wood they are using for the fretboard any more...it used to be ebony.

Anyone know for sure if the are making a RW "Standard"?

Mine is a 2005 "Historic", which I think is what they called the standard one back then.

As far as I know the only differences to today's MC are the tuners (mine are small white kidney shaped ones), the soundhole label (mine's orange & says "Historic" collection), the pick-up (mine was rubbish & I've replaced it) & truss rod cover (mine does NOT have white pinstriping).

Scale length on most Gibson models have been known to change without much fanfare. Usually 25" or 24.5". Some shops may have both in stock, one being NOS. I have heard about these differences on Hummingbirds. I can believe it could happen on any model.

If you are particular about scale length, make sure you play and / or measure one before you buy it.

The Custom has rosewood back and sides and fancy abalone inlays' date=' but I noticed that they don't specify what wood they are using for the fretboard any more...it used to be ebony.

[/quote']

Jeez, I just bought a Custom and I can't tell ya about the fretboard. In fact, I can't even remember what's on the top. I'd guess spruce. Shame on me. Whatever it is, it sure sounds awfully good.

Time to do a little research...

I just found out that SOME TV's were made with Sitka spruce.....SOME have Madagascar fret boards, and SOME have EI Rosewood. SOME, have the big dark burst covering most of the top, and SOME have it on the edges only. SOME have aged finish, SOME have gloss.....SIGH......lol....like comparing apples and oranges.....except they both have the same name....

The last RW I saw in a catalog had a rosewood board and bridge. Mine has ebony.

[angry]

Yeah' date=' I have a 2008 MC with RW back and sides, it has ebony too. And as other forum members have mentioned, it has those heavy, ugly, gold Grovers (we know better - pretty is as pretty does [angry)!

Hmmmm...curiouser and curiouser.

OWF,

I shared these thoughts on a J-45 related thread earlier this year:

I love my J-45 "TV", but I've also heard a number of "simply" regular issue J-45s that sound fantastic. If I had my wish, Gibson would return to simply making regular ol' J-45s and just do the best job with it that they can — settling on things like the bracing type and other build factors that sound the best to the luthiers. Basically putting out the best guitar possible for the price they charge. They could offer them up with optional tuners, electronics or topwoods if the purchaser wanted to pay an upcharge, but they'd all be called a "J-45". No signature models, no TVs, etc. — just J-45s. Same would go for SJs, Hummingbirds, etc. And while I'm living out my little fantasy here, the J-45 RW would be given a different model designation (such as J-42 or or Rosewood Jumbo, whatever). I realize that there's probably more money in the way they're going about it right now (I'll admit that I really hate marketing sometimes), but hey, I can still dream.

All the best,

Guth

And as other forum members have mentioned' date=' it has those heavy, ugly, gold Grovers (we know better - pretty is as pretty does [wink'])!

I like my Gold Grovers. They are aging nicely and work great.

Er... they do still have the J-45 TV line

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-True-Vintage.aspx

I'm not sure what the TV was like before' date=' but I know in 2009 they changed it to what's at the link above, which is why I got one.

Here are the different J-45s you can get (not including sig models):

Standard - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-Standard.aspx

Custom - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-Custom.aspx

TV - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-True-Vintage.aspx

Legend - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/1942-J-45-Legend.aspx

I haven't read all the specs but I think custom is just fancier, TV is 'better', and Legend is 'better' still. There's quite a lot of info there though to help you make a choice if you're looking to buy.[/quote']

Thanks for clearing that up - they have more info on the website than they used to it seems and, as a J-185TV owner, I don't follow the J-45 as close. It is funny to read all the info on the 3-4 models of J-45 they now make- basically they put the same info on each webpage and noted a very few differences- tuners, pickguard, not much else. Bracing descriptions are the same, body woods, too, no mention of hide glue, so in the end we don't really know very much about what distinguishes the TV from the Legend other than about $6k.

Thanks for clearing that up - they have more info on the website than they used to it seems and' date=' as a J-185TV owner, I don't follow the J-45 as close. It is funny to read all the info on the 3-4 models of J-45 they now make- basically they put the same info on each webpage and noted a very few differences- tuners, pickguard, not much else. Bracing descriptions are the same, body woods, too, no mention of hide glue, so in the end we don't really know very much about what distinguishes the TV from the Legend other than about $6k. [/quote']

No problem. I only know because I looked long and hard before buying my J-45 TV! Although the Legend was never in focus as it's out of my league price wise.

On the features page (link at the top right of the page) there is more information such as hide glue, adi top, .... well that's pretty much it..

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-True-Vintage/Features.aspx

I still don't really know what the difference between the TV and Legend is, to justify the price difference anyway.

Newbie here,

Just purchased a J-45 TV from one of the Big Box stores and I understand it does not have hide glue,has the single gotoh tuners instead of the three on a plate,and was dissapointed to recieve the generic balck Gibson case instead of the brown with pink interior. I'm considering returning the guitar.

What appointments does your TV have ? Three on a plate tuners? Brown Case? Hide Glue ?

Thanks

Hi TrueVintage,

I assume mine has hide glue, I doubt there's any way to tell without trying to un-glue it.

Three on a plate tuners.

Brown case/pink lining.

Is yours new? Sounds like it could be a pre 2008 one.

Yes it is new a 2010 model. I am not use to a company(Gibson) making different guitars for different retailers if that is the case. I feel that the specs should be all the same. There is a 2007 trueVintage on Ebay now with the separate tuners.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120581120503&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hi TrueVintage,

I have a 2008 J-45 TV. Mine came with separate tuners and the heavy duty light brown case with the salmon pink (for lack of a better description) lining.

All the best,

Guth

Archived