Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Different models, Different Specifications.....????????

onewilyfool

Im sure it has been discussed here before,but the specimen I recieved from the BigBox store says J-45 on the label, not J-45 TV . I think this is rather peculiar as I would expect if I'm paying a lot of money at least the label would say J-45 TV ! My car says "Honda---Accord" not just plain Honda. How bout the rest of you guys? Does your label say TV ? and are you concerned if it doesn't ?

I have discovered by accident that Gibson made a special sku of guitars especially for Guitar Center,Muscians Friend,etc. The salesperson called Bozeman Montana and confirmed that these guitars do not have hide glue. I have returned my specimen,although it was a nice guitar, I want a True True Vintage. Sorry to be so particular but Im the one thats paying.

I have discovered by accident that Gibson made a special sku of guitars especially for Guitar Center' date='Muscians Friend,etc. The salesperson called Bozeman Montana and confirmed that these guitars do not have hide glue. I have returned my specimen,although it was a nice guitar, I want a True True Vintage. Sorry to be so particular but Im the one thats paying.[/quote']

Well, it's nice to know that this was simply a matter of GC & Co. trying to pull a fast one. I guess Gibson did what it could by not labeling them "J-45 TV" even though they were based on the TV. They're not J-45 Stds and they're not J-45 TVs, but they are J-45s of some sort, so that's what the label says. Hate to say it, but, advertising these guitars as J-45 TVs without mentioning that they're stripped-down? ... Well, that's GC & Co. for ya!

I guess that there's something to be said for Martin's any-change-to-an-HD-28V-makes-it-a-custom-and-if-it's-a-custom-then-it's-going-to-be-labeled-"Custom"-not-"HD-28V" policy. But then a large proportion of the J-45s coming out of Bozeman would then be labeled "Custom" rather than "J-45", and that might be even more confusing (if that's possible).

-- Bob

I bought mine in 1951 or 52. From looking at different pictures, I feel it is probably a J 45. However some thought it is a LG1. Bought it because

I liked the guitar and was not that interested in the model.

Couldn't agree with you more Bob. I now have the "REAL DEAL" ordered. Won't be here until August. But I can wait. I still love Gibson's !

Do you also realize that the new J 45 TV's are coming with the VOS finish? Some people are quite offput with this finish as is looks fairly nasty being all scratchy and cloudy. I recently bought a new one too and buffed it out so it looks much better now.

Affirmative on the 3 plate tuners' date=' hide glue and adi top. Orange label which denotes [b']J-45 TV[/b]. Vintage case with pink interior.

As for the tone....purely magical with a huge sound and sustain they goes on for days.

Oh, and the smell....intoxicatingly delicious [biggrin]

I'm getting confused.....

I have a 2009 J45, model no RS4GCAVSNH1 and it sure looks like a True Vintage (and was sold as such). Positive it has an adi top and the braces look like they could be too.

It came with the brown case and pink lining but only says J45 on the label. Tuners are individual white button.

Interestingly, the serial number on the label and neck block are different with 2 digits swapped round i.e. 01689016 on label and card but 01869016 on neck block. Significance?

Pete

P.S. it sounds amazing whatever it is!

I have a 2008 J45 TV VOS and a 2009 SJ TV. Both have orange labels that simply say either J45 or Southern Jumbo--no True Vintage.

It was explained to me that the labels lack "True Vintage" after the model name because that's the way the vintage Gibsons that inspired the TV line were marked back in the day. This is also the reason they do not have a serial number or "Made in the USA" embossed on the back of the headstock, and why they have an orange label in the first place (Gibson switched to white labels for most models a few years ago).

The above are all features found on various 40's and 50's Gibsons, and the True Vintage line is a mash up of them, and not a slavish reissue of any particular guitar. To the best of my knowlege (and maybe jt can confirm this), no J45 would have even had the x bracing shifted as far to the front as a TV (in the AJ position); the braces were gradually shifted further away from the soundhole while the model was still the J35.

My J45 TV VOS has single, white button tuners, and for some reason, a Custom Shop decal on the back of the neck. The SJ has single tuners, too, but no sticker. Both came in the tan and pink case. The white warranty cards that came with both have TV in the model number, I believe. I will check on that...

Red 333

Really, like Martin, they should really label any guitar that is not stock issue, CUSTOM.....then with the serial number, you can get all the specs through customer service. Martin is great that way. They send you a sheet of every item on the guitar....

more differences between the TV and MC model (we still use these designations); graphite nut and tusq saddle on the MC model, bone nut and saddle on the TV model. The MC model also has the big sky radiused fingerboard, for better playability.

The pickup on the MC model is the EAS element, from LR Baggs:

http://www.lrbaggs.com/EAS.htm

The J-45 legend 1942 recreation is for anyone who really would like to have the replica from back then.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

Gibson is all over the place with these models. Incredibly annoying.

My '08 True Vintage has a madagascar board and bridge, hyde glue, black case, orange label that reads J-45 VOS, plaque of authenticity, etc.

It also came with a useless Gibson fanboy jacket!

It was explained to me that the labels lack "True Vintage" after the model name because that's the way the vintage Gibsons that inspired the TV line were marked back in the day. :^o

With due respect, that one should go down in history along with "the dog ate my homework". [biggrin]

I believe the great Gibson company is above this kind of chicanery, but I'm not so sure about the big box music companies. If I decide to buy a used TV, I will only be interested in one with "TV" on the label. IOW, in my mind, if it don't say TV................it ain't one.

Recieved email today from Gibson Customer Service. copy and pasted below.

There are several versions of the J-45 TV. The Guitar Center version comes with the following specs:

Black case

Wood glue

Adirondack Red Spruce top

VOS finish

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

It was suggested by me to Gibson that GC advertising is rather confusing. At least,now we know. One spec for Guitar Center, and other Big Box stores,another spec for guitar boutique's. Everybody's happy !

I've got a 2008 J-45 MC. At the time I could've bought a J-45 TV for $600 more.. and I wish I would've done it.

Sure I'd had to spend more money to put the electronics in, however, it was a very light and well sounding guitar.

Am I happy with my purchase of J-45 MC? HECK YES. It does everything that I want it to do.

It barks very well.

I've played 4 J-45 MC's when I bought it and picked the one that really spoke to me. [blush]

There are several versions of the J-45 TV. The Guitar Center version comes with the following specs:

I've decided to buy a used TV and this is confusing to me. How will I know for certain that I'm getting the REAL TV, made with Hide Glue? [blush]

I've looked at the Martin Authentic series which is currently out of my price range, but ALL of them are made with hide glue and the specs are identical, regardless of the vendor.

So, is it the ones that have TV on the label?

It's too easy to get caught up in the specifics of the actual build. (As has almost always been the case with Gibson, it can be almost impossible to absolutely determine those specifics anyway.) Regardless, a person could more than likely identify a TV model while blindfolded — they're built light as a feather. The heavy duty brown/pink case with the leather handle is definitely a nice touch, but it doesn't make the guitar sound any better.

If you're a player, go for the tone. A great guitar sounds great, regardless of the specifics.

If you're more of a collector, you might consider finding out if you can special order directly from Gibson to have them include some sort of a certificate including the detailed build specs.

All the best,

Guth

Archived