Gibson Brands Forums

Cool birthday present...no, not a guitar, well kinda of

dleth

its my 48th birthday today and my inlaws (probably my best friends) gave me an album full of hockey history. All stuff collected by a collector over many years. I got an autographed hockey stick from the same collector about 10 years ago signed by Rocket Richard and Jean Beliveau. 2 of the Montreal Canadiens all time greatest.

Just having a great day and wanted to share a bit. Oh yeah, the R0 in my avatar was an early birthday present in that my wife didn't want to kill me for buying it. Actually she was really cool about it.

Dave

Happy birthday!.....shall I send you a Leaf jersey? lol

Actually more of a Senators fan now. Grew up with the Habs though. as a kid it was a choice of Montreal or Toronto and my brother was and is a leafs fan. poor misguided soul that he is, so I had to go with the winners. Not that there's anything wrong with the leafs except...

Dave

Hockey history and collectable all I could think of was teeth [lol]

Congrats on the birthday and sounds like a good one although I will admit that I don't get hockey seems kind of silly as a game after all how many other pro sports can end in a tie. Growing up in California and Arizona hockey was never much of a draw I have only been to one game and they tied. I did learn an important lesson about seat location though we were in the sixth row which seemed like a good location until we found out it was basically the top of the glass so a puck came off the ice barely cleared the glass and then smacked the person three seats over in the forehead knocking the poor guy out cold and splattering blood all over the rest of he people near him. adding insult to injury the crowd then fought for the puck over the poor guys unconscious body [cool]

So I would add two additional rules if I could

1. NO tie games - in professional sports somebody should win.

2. If anyone in the crowd is knocked out cold by a puck, they should get the puck they should put it on their chest as they take them out in the gurney that way even though they miss the end of the game they have a souvenir and if they are in a coma the hospital could put it on the bedside table to reduce the number of people saying poor bastard what happened to him?

I do think hockey rules would be good in everyday life just imagine how polite everyone would be. Can't you see it if somebody does something rude smack the hell out of them or even hit them with a stick and you have to go sit in a corner for five minutes and then all is forgiven, that might be a cool way to settle the rude society we all live in now.

:-

Hey Retrosurfer,

Your opinion is quite valid as are others. I grew up playing hockey for 20 or so years and it was a great thing. You learn teamwork, loyalty,work ethic among many other things, and most of all, it kept me and many of my friends out of serious trouble. Still some trouble, but nothing serious.

Great memories.

Dave

Hey, thanks to everyone for the kind wishes. It really was a great day. Know what? Most days are.

I exagerated a little saying my wife didn't want to kill me for buying the R0. She actually encouraged me to do so.

Ain't she the greatest?

Dave

Archived