Gibson Brands Forums

World Cup...why?

deepblue

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you there.

The last time I saw a full game of football was during the last World Cup. And the last game before that was the World Cup before that. I don't understand one of my friends who has taken all his holiday allowance in order to watch every single match!!! He's even bought a pair of hard-drive TV recorders to record any games screened at the same time as others so he can watch them later!

In 2006 our neighbours (obsessive England fans) warned us politely that they were going to host a party to watch England play Portugal.

After a hasty tete-a-tete my wife and I decided we'd rather take the car through the Channel Tunnel for a week-end in France to get away from the certainty of a sleepless night.

Unfortunately for us, France were scheduled to be playing the same night. Against Brazil - the best team in the world. We didn't know until we arrived in Lille.

We realised that we couldn't escape the inevitable and watched it on the giant diamond screen set up in the public park. Happily, France actually managed to win...

Unhappily, with all the car horns, we ended up having a sleepless night after all...

I don't watch soccer much either but the World Cup happens, it is one of the most watched events in TV in the world, they don't have the World Cup for the US or Canada. It is not all that popular here for sure.

A friend and fellow guitar player is a big fan, he travels to every World Cup. Really cool trips for him.

The only soccer I watch is when I hang out with a British friend and his group of friends.

Hey I think Hockey sucks too, I find it painfully boring.

Hey I think Hockey sucks too' date=' I find it painfully boring.[/quote']

Are you talking about Ice-Hockey or, errm, Hockey hockey?

Boring it may be. It's certainly a painful game to play - especially 'mixed' matches! I played at High-school and the girls were lethal with their sticks.

I don't feel it's 'rammed' down our throats. No more than the Super Bowl or World Series (which by the way really is not) is rammed down Europe's throat.

This forum is an international community and if some of us want to talk about the International Goat Roping Championship, then so be it.

Ice Hockey, I go to Predators games once in a while and I can barely sit through a game.

It is just boring as hell to watch. To me is like the soccer league here in the US in that the majority of players are foreign. It seems like like an imported sport.

But well this thread is about soccer.

I live in Toronto which has a huge Italian and Portugeuse population....as well as many other nationalities...

These people are the soccer (football) fans...I'm not much of a fan and I REALLY hate all the driving around and honking with their flags waving at 2 in the morning...

It's a sport people!!

Haha you're bored at those games because they're Nashville games.

It's so popular around the globe because all you need to play soccer is two somethings to make posts out of and a ball, or ball substitute, unlike most other sports (except rugby) that require gear.

It's a bit crazy here in London.

It seems like all the cars have sprouted a pair of flagpoles from their roofs with the flags of St. George's cross fluttering in the breeze.

Some of the exterior house decorations have to be seen to be believed...

When will the world realize that soccer isnt that popular a sport in north america.

Every four years its rammed down our throats....its going to be a looong summer. :(

It does not really matter how popular' date=' what does matters is how much we slaughter the USA on Saturday! [biggrin[crying][biggrin]

It does not really matter how popular' date=' what does matters is how much we slaughter the USA on Saturday! [biggrin'] [biggrin][crying]

Well; that's put the 'Murray Walker Pronouncement of Death' on that one...

[biggrin]

Oh yes Soccer is so popular with other nations however, I find it real boring. The world cup actually moved the Tour De France to another date because it gets in the way of the World Cup.. I don't know about you people but cycling is more exciting to watch than a few guys playing with their balls lol

When will the world realize that soccer isnt that popular a sport in north america.

Every four years its rammed down our throats....its going to be a looong summer. [biggrin]

I disagree wholeheartedly.

My family has been involved in the game since I was a child.

FYI Tens of Thousands of families across America love soccer.

Sorry it's not as popular as football (which I love dearly) and not as endearing as America's game (baseball, which I love and have been involved with on the youth level for four years in a row now).

While soccer may not be woven into the fabric of this nation like other sports, there are youth and adult teams across this nation playing nearly every day and every weekend.

As for it being rammed down our throats.

Not so.

Turn the channel. There's plenty of other sports you can watch. Better yet, take up golf.

Soccer is actually a fast growing sport among the younger folks. Kids who are not big enough or have an aversion to pain flock to soccer as a way to get involved in sports. Little league soccer is easily as popular here as little league football.

For me personally, add soccer to the games/sports that I love to play, or watch live, but have a hard time watching on TV.

Oh yes Soccer is so popular with other nations however' date=' I find it real boring. The world cup actually moved the Tour De France to another date because it gets in the way of the World Cup.. I don't know about you people but cycling is more exciting to watch than a few guys playing with their balls lol[/quote']

nothing wrong with playing with ya balls...jus sayin [biggrin]

Archived