Gibson Brands Forums

the quest for the best distortion

keepracticing

I just got the SG Special II EMG Edition, I love it to death. But I feel like I’m not putting those sweet EMG's to good enough use. I mean the guitar sounds and plays great, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide on the best distortion tone. Right now I playing through a Line 6 Flextone 3 with the treadplate pre-amp, no gate with the mids dropped and the bass and treble high. Then I routed the whole thing through a Boss Metal Zone petal, I get good building feedback with the Mzone on, but also get a lot of buzz. Natural and pinch harmonics are a breeze with SG but they only sound really brutal with he Mzone on, and I’ve only been able to get the sound I want with the lead pick up on. I also have a fender strat squire (I know...crappy first guitar) but I got okay sounding distortion with a 3, 2 mix. I guess I just need some advice on unleashing this beast of a guitar, without all the noise and adding deeper but still cutting clear tone.

musiciansfriend.com has sound samples on some of their stomp boxes.

They might have a sample of the Jekyll & Hyde up.

If not then just try to google it.

Or maybe go on the Proco website and they'll have some sound samples of the RAT.

But yes, I think the best way to find a good stomp box is too actually try it out at Guitar Center. They will let you hook any pedal you want up to just about any amp, usually.

• 4 years later...

Sorry, but having had and sold that amp a long time ago tells me the number one frustration. I'm a Boss GT 100 fan and a Fender Tube amp fan. I currently use the Hot Rod Deluxe into a Marshall 4x12 and can fill any room with big, sweet Gibson crunch (and cleanies). The pedal you own into a loud, clean tube amp should do it.

Archived