Gibson Brands Forums

White Hummingbird

Wild_Rose

Gibson should really start making white Hummingbirds!!

But they do make them: any dealer who wants a white (or black or red or ...) Hummingbird can order one. Gibson makes whatever dealers order (and nothing else). So, if you want to see a white Hummingbird at some dealer, it's the dealer, not Gibson, you should be trying to convince.

That said, white does seem to work pretty well on a stage guitar!

-- Bob R

But they do make them: any dealer who wants a white (or black or red or ...) Hummingbird can order one.

it's just that I've never seen a white one' date=' except for this one [angry

Gibson gave it to him for Madonna's Confessions Tour. The drums, the keyboards, the amps and 3 guitars were all white!

whitehumm.jpg

whitehumal.jpg

I prefere a Hummingbird Black

ooh those are great too!! Madonna has one and Monte has a black Dove [-(

I'm just saying that it would be cool if Gibson would offer a couple of color choices for their acoustics [bored]

Guest rogerb

Visit your nearest authorized Gibson dealer to custom order a white finish Hummingbird. That would be striking on stage!

I may be way off base here....but doesn't paint covered by clear coat, actually hinder the top's ability to vibrate? I mean for stage work, where pickups are used, perhaps it doesn't matter, but just for sheer sound enjoyment, wouldn't it be better to have a natural or burst top? Just wondering...

It's not actually paint. They add a dye to the laquer. I don't think the opacity of the lacquer affects the tone.

Ed

I did not know that. Very interesting!!

:)

I have a white J200 made in 1990 and the finish is definitely paint and quite thick which probably explains the severe checking all over the guitar. The colour has aged to a greeny yellowish cream and I'll post some pics when I get it back from a friend who's looking after it for me at the moment.

I wanted to look at the guitar' date=' but the singer's absurd outfit, makeup and hair was such a car wreck, I couldn't focus. Was the guitarist wearing bunny ears?[/quote']

Now that's funny!!

[biggrin]

onewileyfool: yes, they can tint lacquers. If the tint is translucent they are called stains; when they are opaque they call the tints toners. They can be any color, black, white, pink. Sunbursts are made with toners and stains; from opaque black to translucent yellow/orange.

Google "tinting lacquers" and you will see evidence of this.

It is not paint, i.e. acrylic, latex, etc. It is just colored lacquer.

From woodweb.com discussing toners added to lacquer.

"There are two types of toners that are used in finishing. One is referred to as a “tinting toner stain,” which can be either a translucent or transparent colorant that allows the wood’s characteristics and natural colors to show through. The second toner is an opaque colored coating that actually hides the characteristics and changes the wood’s color. The latter is called a “tinting toner.” It “hides” the wood and blocks out its natural look in the same way paint does."

Archived