Gibson Brands Forums

Dr. Demento

Californiaman

is leaving radio for the internet.

I remember when I was in high school during the late 70s early 80s and listened to Dr. Demento.

I can still remember some of the crazzyass songs he played on his radio show. One of the songs, Monty Python's "Sit On My Face," was played regularly. One day a local radio station was giving away tickets to the Stranglers and I won because I was able to sing that song live on the radio.

He would play songs like "Larry," and "Shaving Cream," and all kinds of crazyshit. That show played a lot of Zappa also.

Anyway

Did the internet kill the radio show? [blink]

Did the internet kill the radio show? [biggrin]

Nope' date=' Clear Channel did it all on their own. [i']Hey, if this programming/format/playlist works in L.A. it'll surely work in Omaha, Detroit, Atlanta, Seattle, and DC! [/i]

And the fifty plus years of payola we have had didn't help.

Commercial radio is long dead. And now I hear satellite is catching that disease.

btw, great post. Loved Dr. Demento growing up. We used to get into so much trouble singing those naughty songs.

Yes!

It was the center of my universe.

Pat Kelly' date=' Jim Ladd, Dusty Rhodes, and the gang.

Do you remember, "Hyng-dida-foing?"[/quote']

Yep - and that was "Paraquat" Kelly...

Although it was Mary Turner and Christine Foxx that were my favorites.

How about' date=' "The Seventh Day" with Uncle Joe Benson on KLOS. Used to play Entire Albums from start to finish every Sunday.[/quote']

Funny, I never much listened to KLOS - because KMET was always on.

Back on topic - Dr Demento was on on Sunday night...

Radio is dying a slow and painful death - low profits and trouble selling adds a few more years and kids will be asking what was FM radio mom?

That's like being a life long two pack a day smoker and then saying, "If I get cancer you won't see me around much longer". You're ignoring the root of the problem. Profits and advert revenues are low because listenership is down. Listenership is down because they are pushing a craptastic product. Commercial FM radio has dug it's own grave. I hope Clear Channel, Live Nation, and Ticket Master die a slow and painful death.

And I thought monopolies were illegal. Silly me.

I hope Clear Channel' date=' Live Nation, and Ticket Master die a slow and painful death.

[/quote']

I wish they'd go out in big fast bang.

Then the locals could fill the gaps with what people want to hear.

The only time I listen to FM is on the weekends - NPR on Saturday (yes, I subscribe) and KPFK on Sunday - great Gospel tunes before 8:30, then some Alan Watts until 9:00. During the season, I'll listen to the Metropolitan Opera on Sundays, but not always (I like the favorites...)

Otherwise, no FM at all.

I wish they'd go out in big fast bang.

Then the locals could fill the gaps with what people want to hear.

I do like your idea better.

...NPR on Saturday (yes' date=' I subscribe)...[/quote']

Me too. We are blessed to have one of the best public radio stations in the nation. A lot of programming is produced here including Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, Sound Opinions, and The American Life. Outside of that we have 88.7 WLUW, community radio. Their locale music show called Radio One is ace.

Funny' date=' I never much listened to KLOS - because KMET was always on.

Back on topic - Dr Demento was on on Sunday night...

[/quote']

That's too bad, they had a Show called "Get The Led Out" where they played Three Zep Tunes, one of which was usually Boot Legged. The Seventh Day was on right after Dr. Demento.

That's too bad' date=' they had a Show called "Get The Led Out" where they played Three Zep Tunes, one of which was usually Boot Legged. The Seventh Day was on right after Dr. Demento.[/quote']

But Alan Watts came up on KMET after Demento... I still listen to that every chance I get.

The one thing I do remember about those days, though, was how absolutely saturated the airwaves were with Led Zeppelin. I recall looking forward to the day when I wouldn't have to listen to that over and over again

Oh well.

I've been buying Led Zep CDs from ebay because I kinda miss it now.

That's what was so cool about "Get The Led Out", they played B Side and Obscure Bootlegs. You'd never hear "'Rock n Roll" or "Stairway". They'd play "Tea for One" or "Out on the Tiles". I even recorded a version of them doing "Train Kept A-Rollin'" off of that. I will say that KMET had better programming the rest of the time, but on Sundays and at 5 o' Clock weekdays, it was KLOS time.

Where have I been? Didn't know Dr. Demento was even still around.

Loved it back in the 70s. Get a couple of cases of beer and a carload of friends and just go out somewhere and park listening to the classics . . .

They're coming to take me away ah ha

They're coming to take me away oh ho eh he ah ha

To the funny farm . . .

Archived