Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations for Practice amp with Line Out

Artie Owl

Hey Gang,

I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to rocking out or keeping friendly with my neighbours in the apartment, I'm more for the latter, because while rock and loud are important, roof and food are more-so (to me anyway).

It's ok during the days; most people are at work or school and as it is a shared living space there is some expectation of noise.

So, since my only amp right now (Blues jr) doesn't have a Line out for headphones, I need some recommendations for a practice amp I can hook into with my guitar and headphones when it's too late or early in the day for everyone else to hear me practice.

I figure power isn't really important here since they'll be going through headphones, and it's only limited based on the quality of the phones you're using is that right?

Price Range 1-300$

My neighbor has one of those, while it is an interesting little convenience I find I like it more just playing acoustically. the tone that comes out of it, is what you get for the $ but if you really have the urge to crank it up, go ahead. I'd use it every now and again when I really wanted some noise.

I had one of those headphone amps and it was NG.

I recommend the Fender VibroChamp XD - $200.00.

It's a 5 watt Class A hybrid tube amp with a bunch of different voicings. It is very much a tube amp and sounds like it. It has an external speaker jack and has a direct out that you can use for headphones or recording.

It sounds great and it's super versatile. There's nothing else as good at that price.

ever think about the "Line 6 Guitarport" ?? I use it with head phones, its got an online thing you can join and use their backing tracks and artist tones, I can also jam along with head phones to any online backing tracks or even youtube and use the gearbox tones, several amp simulators and effects too, it works for me when I dont want to rattle the place or there are a bunch of kids over here and I just wanna jam

Line 6 Guitar Port

I had one of those headphone amps and it was NG.

I recommend the Fender VibroChamp XD - $200.00.

It's a 5 watt Class A hybrid tube amp with a bunch of different voicings. It is very much a tube amp and sounds like it. It has an external speaker jack and has a direct out that you can use for headphones or recording.

It sounds great and it's super versatile. There's nothing else as good at that price.

I second that choice.

Ideally, I'd love to have a decent second amp to jam with a friend when they come over, preferably a Marshall to add to my collection, but my credit card needs to be paid off before I start making more purchases first. The comment about line 6 boxes inspires me to dig mine out and learn how to use the damn thing.

You know' date=' I never thought of that, I have a mac, and I have a guitar port line 6 box thing I never got into using, maybe I'll give that a try as a go between. Thanks[/quote']

if you already have the guitarport you are there, download the free gearbox software, it just gives you a little more variety of choices,, its far from ideal but for jammin with headphones it works fairly well [biggrin]

Let's put it this way: My little Kustom acoustic with 30 watts is good for headphone practice or using a line out to go direct into a computer with an inexpensive USB conversion interface; it's even small gigworthy and has separate input channels through which one might plug both guitar and mike for a solo gig.

The versatility is why I like it; I'll leave arguments of near perfection through small tube amps to others. Mine cost me under $150. The price probably's up nowadays.

m

Archived