Gibson Brands Forums

Big Bends Nut Sauce

tlwwalker

I got a new 2009 ES-335 Satin. I changed the strings & kept getting a "ping" when bending the G & B & E steel strings. I changed strings again - same problem. Using Gibson Brite Wires .010's as factory furnished. I tried the pencil lead graphite in the nut slots - very small improvement. I went to the Nut Sauce. first in the nut slots. Another tiny improvement. Then I put it under the strings at the bridge saddles. Problem solved. I'm pleased with both the guitar and the Sauce.

Any other opinions on that problem & my solution?

I use Big Bends Nut Sauce too. Have not tried it on my bridge saddles, but next string change I will. I have had weird tuning issues in the past and this stuff helps a lot.

Switching to light picks helped too. They call me hands of cement.

Every few months or so, I take a pocket knife and scrape a very small amount of pencil lead into the string slots on my guitars nuts. It works pretty well (if you don't have any of that Big Bends stuff on hand). Note, using the pencil lead trick will cause the nut to look a little gray (if you use too much).

Every few months or so' date=' I take a pocket knife and scrape a [u']very small[/u] amount of pencil lead into the string slots on my guitars nuts. It works pretty well (if you don't have any of that Big Bends stuff on hand). Note, using the pencil lead trick will cause the nut to look a little gray (if you use too much).

Nothing wrong with grey nuts. [-(

:P

I wonder sometimes if the nut binding issue is over-thought. I stretch my strings. Tune up slightly sharp, stretch it one final time. the string typically settles right in with no binding. Bend hard in songs and never falls out of tune. No nut sauce no graphite.

I wonder sometimes if the nut binding issue is over-thought. I stretch my strings. Tune up slightly sharp' date=' stretch it one final time. the string typically settles right in with no binding. Bend hard in songs and never falls out of tune. No nut sauce no graphite.[/quote'] maybe, but I can definitely say I had some guitars that always gave me pinging/binding at the nut until I put some lubricant in them, or until I brought them to my setup guy and he set up the nut properly.

A nut properly cut for the gauge strings you use should not ping at all.

I will say that Johnny A told a small audience during a clinic in Nashville that he has no issues with binding on his Gibsons, Bigsby or not. He did add that he applies a little nut sauce from time to time. So although I've never felt the need for this product, this is what I would use if I felt the nut binding issue was affecting my playing.

Archived