Gibson Brands Forums

Are Standard Gibson USA guitars Pleked?

BoyVader

I think it varies depending on which line you're asking about. Les Paul Standards are plek'ed.. I believe the Traditionals are too. The Studios are not. I don't think SG Standards are, but someone else might know for sure.

:- Miscommunication: we're not trying to determine whether LP Standards are Plek'd -- we're trying to determine which (if not all) Gibson USA guitars are Plek'd.

What does "plek'd" mean, exactly?

I've seen references on the Gibson site as to nuts being cut by the Plek machine - but it doesn't go on to say the frets (or anything else) is blessed by the pleker.

Henry said it.

The Plek machine is the biggest process improvement in the guitar business in a decade or more. We started using them at the Custom Division (Rick Gembar always smells out the very best stuff) and very soon became the biggest buyer of these very expensive German machines. The difference in playability with this process is so great any player will feel it instantly -- but this is not cheap. It is an expensive computerized machine that requires highly skilled operators and a lot of maintenance and set up. It adds cost with more process time per guitar, much higher capital costs, factory space cost, and higher cost of maintenance. The cost of getting your guitar Plek'd at a dealer is around $250, and we Plek every product at our Nashville division, including the Melody Maker.

Ok here's the info:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

November 16th, 2009

Production Number: 327

So it was plek'd?...:) It's not a Custom so I'm not 100%?:-

I thought it felt sweet so wanted to know if worth the hype...there is a luthier in Sydney that uses one...he used it recently to setup a couple of LP's for Slash no less, so thought I'd check it out...

Thanks..

Archived