Gibson Brands Forums

Buffing out a J-45 TV VOS Finish

mwilliams

Not buffed out a VOS Gibson finish, but I have done the top of my CJ. When I pulled the pickguard the finish had that little dimpley stuff going on where an uncured finish reacts with the guard adhesive - yuck. Got out the 1500 sandpaper, a small wooden block and a little saucer of water. Sanding with a few drops of water and with the grain I smoothed out all the rough stuff where the guard had been, then polished it back out with some Meguiar's automotive polishing compound until it was mucho glossy once more. Lastly I used Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover (another automotive product) to remove any trace of the job having been done. I suppose you need not do the sanding step, but automotive polishing products work great on guitar finishes. Just go slow and only as far as you need to to achieve the desired effect. It's going to be tough working around the end of the fretboard, bridge, etc. A box of Q-Tips might come in handy working those areas.

It's my understanding that the VOS finishes are VERY much thinner than a regular glossy finish. IF this is confirmed to be true, you run the risk of rubbing it out right down to the wood.

Similar to Buc, I use motorcycle polishing products for restorative guitar finish work. My favorite is Mother's Aluminum and Mag Polish. If it doesn't leave scratches or swirls on chrome, it sure won't on a guitar.

Whatever you do, be very careful.

Now why would you want take it from that nice, laid-back, low-maintenance, low-stress

finish to something that's gonna show every little ding & scratch?

But...

Just a thorough job using a good guitar polish & polishing cloth is going to naturally increase the gloss a little every time, say, you do a string change. Bear in mind that

the TV finish has already been knocked down a bit... Looks like they already worked it

with that 1500 grit that Buc was suggesting. Notice the very fine sand scratches parallel

with the grain, stopping just short of the binding. That sand scratch & swirl eliminator that he was also suggesting would be a good idea; it'll microscopically fill those scratches, and give a flatter reflective plane, which'll then appear a bit more shiny.

Anything more aggressive, & you risk going into that nice Gibson sunburst!

Folks...thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

62burst, you raise an interesting and valid question. Truth be told, the J-45 TV will be delivered this Thursday so I haven't seen the finish in person yet. I'd prefer to not have to touch the finish, I was just curious about the process "if" I decided to go throught with it. It seems like a project, and my heart's not really into the potential of screwing it up. I wasn't even aware the VOS treatment was standard on the TV...it's my understand this is fairly new (it's not even mentioned on the Gibson website). It's really tough to get your arms around all the variants of the J-45 TV out there. Gibson's doesn't make it easy [lol]

Mike

Folks...Ideas and suggestions from those of you that buffed out your J-45 VOS finish would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Mike

I used Gibson Pump Polish which is safe for nitro finishes' date=' a soft microfiber cloth and some patience. The finish still has plenty of micro scratches in it so the "old" guitar look is maintaned quite nicely. My VOS finish was very rough and hazy to start out with...too much so in my opinion.

[img']http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt190/tony2wheels/IMG_1446.jpg[/img]

I used some 0000 Steel Wool to lightly knock down some of the finish on a Martin 000-15S Guitar I once owned. I followed up with about 4 rounds of Maguiar's Mirror Glaze #7. It turned out to be quite glossy starting from a Satin finish. I used the Steel Wool in an up and down motion as I didn't want to leave any swirls. Did the same with the Mirror Glaze. The Mirror Glaze is silicone free and you definitely want to use a silicon free product. I found the job to be quite a bit of work but the results were great. Never tried this method on a Gibson.

Thanks folks...really apprecite the replies! As of this writing (and if I find I don't like the VOS finish...really didn't know it was even going to be on there to begin with), my plan is to go with Virtuoso Premium Polish and Cleaner, then the Gibson Pump Spray for regular maintenance. Pics soon (before and possibly after).

Have a great day!

Mike

... Also wanted to mention the amount of gloss on the TV's varies. from guitar to guitar. So does the degree to which the darker, outer part of the burst comes in towards the center. The one on ebay last week was mostly dark!

Good ol' Gibson... some come with a higher degree of gloss than others, etc, etc.

L5: Larry, do you really use Mother's mag cleaner/polish on guitar finishes? That's pretty harsh stuff. Chrome is a metallic finish that's polished without scratches because as the Mother's is worked, it breaks down & is gradually less gritty (imho).

ASkrivan the Adirondack top on your guitar (with firestripe pickguard) is one of the most outrageous I've ever seen on a TV. I bet that one sounds great.

Ok folks...took possession of a 2010 J-45 TV today. Some thoughts:

The VOS finish is either extremely light on this J-45, or just not there! Seriously, no buffing required...and I'm a bit relieved. The fit, finish and quality is as good as it gets. Not one flaw that I can see, and I looked hard. The brown/pink case is a beast, 6 latches and smells like the guitar, not noxious fumes. The orange label says J-45 TV.

While I haven't really put it through it's paces, I already love the thing. It's exactly what I was hoping for, but rarely get to experience sight unseen. I'm thrilled to own a quality Gibson acoustic again and thank you all for your replies the last few days.

Mike

L5: Larry' date=' do you really use Mother's mag cleaner/polish on guitar finishes? That's pretty harsh stuff. Chrome is a metallic finish that's polished without scratches because as the Mother's is worked, it breaks down & is gradually less gritty (imho).[/quote']

Which is EXACTLY why it works great to restore guitar finishes. RESTORE is the operative word here, I didn't say polish your guitar with it, although you could.

Forearm haze..a little Mother's ....gone

Sticky neck syndrome...gone

pick and fingernail scratches...gone

Not to mention the chrome and nickel plated parts.

DO NOT USE MOTHER'S ON GOLD PLATED PARTS, I did find this out the hard way.

I have a 2007 J-45 TV with the Sitka top. Does this guitar have the VOS finish and the thin layers as you all are discussing? I like the finish just fine, but would like to know if this TV has the same as the recent J-45 TV guitars being sold.

Archived