Gibson Brands Forums

Crazy Heart

jimmiJAMM

Jeff Bridges playing an aging, alcoholic country singer. Yes, it's been out for a while but I just saw it. Pretty powerful performances and great music as well. Anyway, he plays a sweet burgundy semi-hollow Gretsch in it. Anyone know which model it is?

bridgesgr.jpg

Jeff Bridges playing an aging' date=' alcoholic country singer. Yes, it's been out for a while but I just saw it. Pretty powerful performances and great music as well. Anyway, he plays a sweet burgundy semi-hollow Gretsch in it. Anyone know which model it is?

[img']http://www.fender.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bridgesgr.jpg[/img]

'58-59 Country Gentleman (Single Cutaway), with dual selector switches, on the upper bout.

1 for pickups, 1 for tone...AKA "Mud" switch.

Gretsch site says it's a 59, but they're own reissue '59 has only 1 selector switch on the upper

bout, and their '58 has the same 2, that his has. Of course, back in those days, their

spec's were all over the place, seemingly. My '66 CG has '64 and '66 specs...appointments.

And it's dead stock! So...???

CB

I don't think it really had much to do with music.

About as much as The Wrestler had to do with wrestling. Kinda reminded a bit of that movie, actually. Similar down and out characters, rough around the edges but both with big hearts.

Crazy Heart is a GREAT movie. Jeff Bridges totally deserved all of the accolades he received for his performance. That guy is one of the most underrated actors in history.

It's a great movie, Bridges did a great job, the music was dead on...good camera work.. And I liked the Gretch.

It was ok. It was pretty slow' date=' and I don't think it really had much to do with music.[/quote']

I agree.

I like Jeff Bridges a lot as an actor, he's great at most any character he plays, but don't see what all the big stink over this movie was. I was expecting much more but it didn't live up to all the hype.

I really liked the movie. It reminded me a lot of Robert Duvall's movie "The Apostle" in its ability to capture the private side of a public character. I thought Jeff Bridges nailed it. The music was good enough that I bought the soundtrack.

Archived