Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner upgrade for a 61' SG Reissue?

jlowrie33

I bought a 05' SG Reissue (love it) but it has a tuner that is bad.

I can get a new set of tuners but first was wondering about you opinions on upgrading them instead of replacing them with the originals. The LOOK cool but are these tuners really that good? I keep hearing different opinions on the quality of the stock tuners.

If I DO upgrade them, with what?

I was looking at these Kluson locking tuners (vintage style)..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-KB3L-Keystone-Locking-Guitar-Tuning-Machines---3-Per-Side-Bolt-Bushing-300225-i1374087.gc

I don't want any tunes that will need any mods.. the ones above are drop-in.

Opinions?

Guest BentonC

Hi, and congrats on your new guitar (new to you at least!)

Not sure about a direct replacement, but it's always a good idea to check with the folks a guitar parts suppliers first- i.e.:

www.allparts.com

www.stewmac.com

www.warmoth.com

www.wdmusic.com

etc...

You'll probably get some good recommendations there...

Check with a Luthier, or Gibson repair service tech. They usually have spare tuners,

that would be a direct and original spec part. That way, you only have to replace the

one that's bad! Unless, you don't like the original tuner's looks, etc. They are decent

tuners. As has been stated ad nauseum, most tuning issues are in the nut, not the

tuners. A "broken" tuner, can be easily replaced. You can even call Gibson's CS...

Right, Benton?? LOL They've been good, about replacing defective parts (for me),

in the past. As long as it's a Made in USA Gibson, there should be no problem.

Also, check the "Bargain Bin," at (most) Guitar Centers. I've replaced defective tuners,

from sets, that were broken up, and the remaining tuners, were sold individually, through

the bargain bin.

CB

Personally I think you would do well to replace them with a set of Grover Mini-Rotomatics. Those will drop right in. Locking tuners are EXTREMELY overrated and very clumsy to deal with in my opinion.

I bought a 05' SG Reissue (love it) but it has a tuner that is bad.

I can get a new set of tuners but first was wondering about you opinions on upgrading them instead of replacing them with the originals. The LOOK cool but are these tuners really that good? I keep hearing different opinions on the quality of the stock tuners.

If I DO upgrade them' date=' with what?

[/quote']

Personally I think you would do well to replace them with a set of Grover Mini-Rotomatics. Those will drop right in. Locking tuners are EXTREMELY overrated and very clumsy to deal with in my opinion.

BUT...doesn't the Mini-Rotomatic, have an offset anchor screw...so you'd have to drill

another pilot hole. IF, you want to maintain the "look," of the originals...Grover does

make "Tulip Tuners," that are like what's on there already. I'm not even sure, that the

Gibson tuners aren't Grover's, to begin with.

CB

Grover's are cool. I'd make sure that the replacement tuners you select have mounting screws that match up with the original tuner's mounting screws. -That way you don't have to drill new holes into the headstock. I guess it's not that really important, but to me, it looks better.

Grover's are cool. I'd make sure that the replacement tuners you select have mounting screws that match up with the original tuner's mounting screws. -That way you don't have to drill new holes into the headstock. I guess it's not that really important' date=' but to me, it looks better. [/quote']

Yeah I agree, plus the fact of having to drill holes into my sg (even the epiphone) would give me nightmares.

The gibson deluxe tuners are fine, if there is a problem, its most likely the nut. If there is a problem with the nut, and its a new guitar, a gibson dealer should be able to fix it for free IIRC

I ended up going to a shop and picking up a used tuner. It's a gold tuner (my guitar has nickle) so now my guitar has a gold tooth smile. I guess it adds character. I don't care.. it plays perfectly now

Later I'll end up getting some locking tuners but I'm in no hurry. Thanks for all the advice.

I like grovers also but I'm afraid they won't just drop in. You would probably have to drill a hole or two. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. As far as locking tuners I only usually put them in when I have a trem. on the guitar.

Rewd.

Archived