Gibson Brands Forums

Left handed Gibson SG Special Faded

rockman82

Does anyone know who still sells left handed specials? I've wanted a worn cherry or worn brown left handed for so long. But if i can't find one, i'll have to settle for a standard. There's nothing wrong with standards, but i like the finish of the special and the sound isn't as bright.

I've checked MF, GC, Music123, i can't find them.

I know what you mean about the finish - the guitars with the Faded or worn finishes are more expressive. I saw it with an SG Special I used for a while, my Melody Maker, and a whole rack of Gibsons at the HOG today.

I just checked Southpaw Guitars and they had nothing.

One of my friends is left-handed all-around (rather than only for writing, like me), and tried guitar briefly. I've played hers a few times with limited success - but if I tried for more than a few minutes every few months I could probably do it.

Thanks Twiz. Even though I'm a (almost) pure lefty, i started playing guitar right handed. I didn't know left handed guitars even existed until i saw Tony Iommi. That's why i switched i guess. That and it was easier for me to pick up.

I'm kinda scared to go back to right handed since i've been playing lefty for so long. I guess i'll play my Epiphone SG until it can't be played no more.

That's probably the route I would go since there doesn't seem to be a plethora of left handers for rockman.

The only problem with a converted Righty is that the knobs can get in the way, since that's pretty much where your arm rests. I suppose it depends on how your guitar is situated when playing, however.

For me it gets in the way, whether I'm standing or sitting, and it's extremely irritating. I only having one lefty-conversion; it was my first, so I didn't know any better. I rarely use that godforsaken thing.

The only problem with a converted Righty is that the knobs can get in the way' date=' since that's pretty much where your arm rests. I suppose it depends on how your guitar is situated when playing, however.

For me it gets in the way, whether I'm standing or sitting, and it's extremely irritating. I only having one lefty-conversion; it was my first, so I didn't know any better. I rarely use that godforsaken thing.[/quote']

Yeah I'm not too big on conversions either. I like a guitar that's made left handed. I'll go without before i flip a guitar like a Gibson.

I think i can settle for the standard when i have enough money saved up. I'm getting ebony though, becuase i don't like the bright finish they have now on the cherry.

• 4 months later...

I probably will. I'll just have to wait and see.

I would get a standard as well. The special just feels sort of cheap compared to the Std.

Another viable option for a lefty is a converting a right handed Flying V. I've converted one and I'm about to do a second one. It works quite well.

Archived