Gibson Brands Forums

I got a 'new' vintage archtop. What year/model is it?

whaledog

Hi,

I'd like to introduce myself with a question.

The most unbelievable thing happened today. My dad shows up at my job today and announces that he wants to give me something. He goes into the back of his car and comes back with this vintage Gibson archtop.

28295905.jpg

Apparently it's been sitting in a closet for the last 30 years and the owner just gave it to my dad. This is now my guitar and I have my first Gibson! How awesome is that?

The neck has been shaved, the pick guard is missing and the tuners will need to be replaced. Who cares!

The only 'problem' is that I can't tell what year or model it is. I'm not interested in selling, but I would like to know what I have. There are no markings inside the guitar, and the only writing (other than the Gibson logo) is "Patented July 19, 1910" stamped on the tail piece.

Can any of you tell what it is?

26295325.jpg

70755142.jpg

63184075.jpg

24877693.jpg

75018158.jpg

19689426.jpg

84410444.jpg

71249379.jpg

90852936.jpg

77303849.jpg

Thanks for the help!

That is a pretty plain jane guitar so I am guessing - with the white silkscreen logo' date=' dot markers, and burst finish, - it is an L-30 made between the mid-1930s and early 1940s. Just a guess though.[/quote']

That was my original thought, but the L-30 has a flat back. Since it doesn't have the pickguard, it could be an L-30 or L-37. Both had burst tops at one point in their lives, and seventy years of aging has probably changed its tone.

Of course, my idea was very wrong.

Wow, that's a beauty.

And looking in good shape for sitting in a closet for 30 years. <*gotta check grandpa's closet and attic*>

Archtop and back with f-holes, body binding and a diamond on the tailpiece.

It's about a 1936 L-50

In 1935 the L-50 picked up an arched back and f-holes and in 1936 the diamond tailpiece was added.

Check it here - http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson2.html

Scroll down to the L-50 section.

If you change the turners, save the originals.

Thanks for all the info and the warm welcome.

I have to change the tuners, unfortunately, because they "unwind" themselves when you try to tune a string. But I will definitely keep the originals.

I'm probably going to install these Waverlys since they should screw into the existing holes and they are as close as I can get to looking like the originals:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Waverly_Guitar_Tuners/Waverly_Guitar_Machines_with_Ivoroid_Knob.html

Can I be your dad's son? Wait, I'm probably older than your dad.

That's a beauty and it looks like it has been waiting a long time to be played and will be grateful to be played again and should reward you with a great sound. Enjoy!!

Good choice on the Waverlys.

And Zombywoof's got a good idea - if you replace the pickguard' date=' you can install a floater pup.

I'd love to see more pics after you get her fixed up.

[/quote']

I know next to nothing about floating pickups. Can you point me to an example I could mount with a pick guard but without drilling new holes?

I wouldn't think tuners would get looser with age. Could be the spur gear screws could be tweaked. Judging by a couple boogered up slots, I'd say the previous owner had to do this as well. Probably best to get a replacement for the #5 spur gear retainer screw before you lose the gear. Whether or not you replace the OEM with new tuners, you'll not want to lose that gear. When your grand kids put the old tuners back on, if the gear is lost, a replacement could cost as much as those Waverly's.

I wouldn't think tuners would get looser with age. Could be the spur gear screws could be tweaked. Judging by a couple boogered up slots' date=' I'd say the previous owner had to do this as well. Probably best to get a replacement for the #5 spur gear retainer screw before you lose the gear. Whether or not you replace the OEM with new tuners, you'll not want to lose that gear. When your grand kids put the old tuners back on, if the gear is lost, a replacement could cost as much as those Waverly's.

[/quote']

Good advice.

I guess the best thing to do would be to unscrew one of the other retainer screws, go to a hardware store and find a match. It's worth a shot.

The only thing I wouldn't like about the Waverly's is that they look so new. I wish they would come in an aged finish' date=' like the Golden Age Restoration Tuners Stew-Mac also sells.[/quote']

I think if that guitar or anything old like it turned up on my doorstep I would wait a while and keep searching all the vintage parts sellers etc. Some of them charge stupid money for old parts but you do find some realistically priced stuff eventually. I'd give it a go for a couple of months, stuff turns up when you least expect it. It's worth a try.

A quick update: I took the guitar to my neighbor's house (he's a vintage guitar collector). He's pretty sure that his luthier can get the tuners in working order, so I'm going to call the guy and give it a shot.

The thing is that I originally took the guitar to McCabe's guitar shop (a well known music store near my work) and their luthiers did not want to attempt to work on the tuners. They said flat-out that the tuners need to be replaced. So, it'll be interesting to see what this other luthier can do.

Archived