Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Brown Hardshell Case w/ Pink Lining - Have Pictures of One?

Pickax

I've read about the Gibson Brown Hardshell Cases with the Pink linings, coming with the J-45TV's. Does anyone have some pictures of such Case to post here? I've not seen one and I'm curious as to what they look like. Thanks!

Thanks for that link. Does anyone know how much they cost if one were able to buy a new one?

My guess is, if you could buy one -- which you can't -- the price would be in the neighborhood of $350-400 list/$250-300 street. They're even a little sturdier (and heavier) than Martin's 500-series "Geib-style" cases, which are just a little less expensive than that. Definitely a step up from the Gibson high-end red-lined cases.

-- Bob R

My guess is' date=' if you could buy one -- which you can't -- the price would be in the neighborhood of $350-400 list/$250-300 street. They're even a little sturdier (and heavier) than Martin's 500-series "Geib-style" cases, which are just a little less expensive than that. Definitely a step up from the Gibson high-end red-lined cases.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

Clearly, we need to take this case to a higher court!!!

Forgive the question here - why can't you buy one? Are they only available with a new and specific Guitar purchase - like a J-45TV?

That's it. They're vintage reproduction-ish "California girl" cases that are only sold with specific vintage reproduction-ish guitar models. Gibson does this a fair amount: the Red Line cases that come with Legends' date=' the 60's alligator case (which is [i']really[/i] a tank!) that comes with the Lennon J-160E, etc. I've never even seen the fancier, red-lined, arched-back cases with the padded handle sold separately, just the standard blue-lined ones.

That said, there's no prominent Gibson logo on these cases. If you try calling Cedar Creek -- the TKL custom shop -- they can probably build you something pretty darn close.

-- Bob

That was my first thought when you said I couldn't buy one. From the picture on the Ebay site, it looks like a Martin Geib Vintage Case with the 6 latches, padded handle, etc. These latches actually look sturdier than the ones on the Martin Geib. I like the Case better without the large Gibson logo. The small Gibson plate by the handle is just the right touch. A very cool looking case! Now I must have one[biggrin]

That was my first thought when you said I couldn't buy one. From the picture on the Ebay site' date=' it looks like a Martin Geib Vintage Case with the 6 latches, padded handle, etc. These latches actually look sturdier than the ones on the Martin Geib. I like the Case better without the large Gibson logo. The small Gibson plate by the handle is just the right touch. A very cool looking case! Now I must have one[biggrin']

Hey Pickax! That small metal plate by the handle is buffed out to a mirror finish, which is hard to see in the pic. Also, the leather tab on the storage compartment inside has the Gibson logo as well. It also comes with a key so you can lock the case. I must say, this is one tough case. Extremely well built. Solid, very sturdy. If you can locate one, it's well worth every penny!

By the way, like I keep telling my fellow musicians, IT'S LAVENDER, NOT PINK!!!!!!

As far as I know Gibson never offered those cases for sale - you could only get one with a guitar. Also, I may be wrong but I believe Gibson stopped using those cases last year. At least I know 2009 was the last year you could get them with a Les Paul.

Here is a mid-level Lifton (with the felt instead of the poodle fur) made in 1960 (as was the guitar). This one has the Gibson medallion inside on neck rest while the older Lifton case which houses my SJ has a plain brass Gibson medallion on the front near the handle. Best part on the 1960 case is the original leather strap handle is still in tact

1960GibsonJ200.jpg

Great cases guys.

And Tennroots -

Man' date=' that's a beauty of an archtop.

And a sweet case to boot. [cool

Yes it is in really great shape, there's a few little dings and scratches on it but hey it's 60 years old.

It was a lucky find.

Archived