Gibson Brands Forums

Tele + Big Muff + Champ = pretty cool

Dub-T-123

I'm getting a pretty sweet raunchy fuzz tone out of this combo.

photo-47.jpg

(really crappy pic I know)

My friend left his Champ at my house so I was playing around with it. It's pretty cool but the tone is really weak. I wanted a little boost but I don't have an OD so I just busted out the Big Muff.

Pretty awesome sounding. The little champ is of course cranked to the max and I turned the tone on the BM to noon for some old school sticky fuzz.

I wish I could post some sound clips cause this tone is actually really cool!

The Russian Big Muff (what I have) is sortof more distortion sounding than fuzz. Some of the other Muffs are more of a true fuzz. I like the Russian because it seems to have a bit more clarity and it was also really cheap when I got it.

It took me a long time to learn how to coax that fuzz sound out of it but now I've got it.

What I do is set the amp to overdrive and turn the tone down on the Muff. It seems that when I crank up the volume on the Muff it makes it more fuzzy sounding. I just don't want to crank up the volume too hard on this tiny amp because it will break and it's not mine.

I really like this pedal though. It goes from Black Sabbath to Hendrix to White Stripes. I don't use it in my band but it's fun to play with. (sorry for being so long winded)

WARNING: Rant beginning.

Can I just clear something up? No cut against the Big Muff, but it is no more a fuzz pedal than my Maxon OD808 is a distortion pedal. Fuzz pedals have Ge or Si transistors. Think Big Cheese, Fuzz Factory, FuzzRite, Vox Tone Bender, Fuzz Face, Super Fuzz, and Yardbox.

Same for the Swollen Pickle. Just like the Big Muff it is a distortion box.

end rant

WARNING: Rant beginning.

Can I just clear something up? No cut against the Big Muff' date=' but it is no more a fuzz pedal than my Maxon OD808 is a distortion pedal. Fuzz pedals have Ge or Si transistors. Think Big Cheese, Fuzz Factory, FuzzRite, Vox Tone Bender, Fuzz Face, Super Fuzz, and Yardbox.

Same for the Swollen Pickle. Just like the Big Muff it is a distortion box.

end rant

It's technically a Distortion/Sustainer. The 'fuzz' title comes from peoples perception of the sound it produces, not a mathematical examination of the components, nor was it ever marketed as a Fuzz box. People will call it whatever they think it sounds like, and sound is all that really matters, isn't it?

Yes and it sounds like distortion.

To you.

Like I said, the Big Muff was never marketed as a Fuzz Box, so that analogy is based solely on peoples impression of the tone from it. Therefore, it sounds like a Fuzz to the point where thats how it's generally referred to.

Aw man' date=' I love the Russian version of that pedal. I have the USA model too, but the Russian one sounds better to me anyway.

[/quote']

Yeah when I got it I tried all of the pedals I could (including a zvex Fuzz Factory) and I thought this sounded the best. Basically I'm sure the Fuzz Factory sounds awesome but when I was test driving it I couldn't figure out how to use it. I've heard it's a great pedal but I didn't know how to use the controls.

Evol.. I know what you're talking about. I've said myself it mostly sounds like a distortion pedal. But with some tweaking I can get distinctly fuzzy tones out of it. Especially with single coils. I know it's not a fuzz face or something.

I kinda want to get a Danelectro French Toast. Very cheaply made but sweet tone.

And just when I thought this Champ couldn't sound any cooler....... I plugged in the SG.

Oh my goodness.... That neck pickup with the tone at zero has the most awesome lead tone. Switch to bridge at full treble for rythym..

dem00n... You gotta come check this out.

Well the way I have it set right now with my SG is sounds like Tony Iommi and Jimi Hendrix got together and produced a litter of high quality angel babies and they're running on little hamster wheels inside the Big Muff.

I don't have a computer. I just use my iPhone to go on the forum so pics is about the most I can do.

A tele + a champ with or without a pedal is an awesome combination.

I have a big Muff pedal but I don't use it much.

I really like those zvex pedals, but I don't think they are that easy to use.

I would like a really good fuzz pedal, but haven't come across anything that I really like recently.

The Champ is cool but not great IMO. It seems to take pedals like a.... well.. like a champ.

It just seems to have a week clean and a weaker OD. I think it's the size of the speaker. The low end is not really satisfying me. I'm just spoiled with the super deep loud clean of my ac30.

I'll tell you what though this thing rips when you use some pedals. Also the single knob is nice. The level of treble is really good but I could use some more low end.

I really like those zvex pedals' date=' but I don't think they are that easy to use.

[/quote']

You sound like me. I generally avoid amps and pedals with more than two or three knobs so it was a huge stretch for me to go with a Fuzz Factory, but this is a sweet pedal. You do have to spend time with it to dial in the sound you want. The pedal comes with suggested settings which help a lot. Based on that Velcro fuzz I wanted it would probably have been better for me to just get a PepperMint Fuzz (which I still want to do). Oh well. It is still a sweet pedal.

I would like a really good fuzz pedal' date=' but haven't come across anything that I really like recently.

[/quote']

The best advice I can give is to spend the cash and get a boutique fuzz. AnalogMan has a potpourri of delicious fuzz pedals. His Sun Face fuzzes are probably the most common.

Archived