Gibson Brands Forums

ES-137 Classic vs Custom

booismycat

Trying to identify the differences that justify the price difference in the ES-137 Custom over the Classic.

As I see it:

On the Custom, you get 57 Humbuckers, a varitone switch and the split-diamond inlays and head stock.

On the Classic, you get 490R and 498T Humbuckers, no varitone switch and the standard perloid inlays with the 'C' inlay at the 12th fret.

This is based on all the literature I can find related to both models. Hardly justifies the $700+ price tag for the Custom. Granted, the split-diamond design is nice but, the humbuckers are a $150.00 upgrade and one 'could' add the varitone switch to the Classic model.

Reason for my question is I just have to get my hands on the Bluesburst and would love to have the Custom for the inlays... sad to say, the Custom doesn't come in the Bluesburst color.

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...
On 1/21/2008 at 4:53 AM, booismycat said:

Trying to identify the differences that justify the price difference in the ES-137 Custom over the Classic.

As I see it:

On the Custom, you get 57 Humbuckers, a varitone switch and the split-diamond inlays and head stock.

On the Classic, you get 490R and 498T Humbuckers, no varitone switch and the standard perloid inlays with the 'C' inlay at the 12th fret.

This is based on all the literature I can find related to both models. Hardly justifies the $700+ price tag for the Custom. Granted, the split-diamond design is nice but, the humbuckers are a $150.00 upgrade and one 'could' add the varitone switch to the Classic model.

Reason for my question is I just have to get my hands on the Bluesburst and would love to have the Custom for the inlays... sad to say, the Custom doesn't come in the Bluesburst color.

It's called greed.

Yep different pups and a Varitone may be $250 at most.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 3/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's called greed.

Well... no you see.. when Gibson makes these Custom models, they use specially cured wood,  only select types, with trees cut down on the first full moon after the summer equinox, at night...  very dangerous..  

And the magnets that go into the picks, well those are also quite special, those come from raw materials that are only found in certain elevations in the Himalayas.   There's only a hand full of Sherpas that can reach those places.  Very expensive. 

Now mind you these  are just two examples of the extraordinary lengths Gibson will do to provide a genuine  and unique "Custom" instrument for it's loyal customers..... 

So it's really chump change when you think about it.

Hey,, after you buy the guitar, come talk to me a bout a bridge I'm selling..  Good deal.. prime opportunity..   Don't MISS it..

11 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Well... no you see.. when Gibson makes these Custom models, they use specially cured wood,  only select types, with trees cut down on the first full moon after the summer equinox, at night...  very dangerous..  

And the magnets that go into the picks, well those are also quite special, those come from raw materials that are only found in certain elevations in the Himalayas.   There's only a hand full of Sherpas that can reach those places.  Very expensive. 

Now mind you these  are just two examples of the extraordinary lengths Gibson will do to provide a genuine  and unique "Custom" instrument for it's loyal customers..... 

So it's really chump change when you think about it.

Hey,, after you buy the guitar, come talk to me a bout a bridge I'm selling..  Good deal.. prime opportunity..   Don't MISS it..

I'm not in the market for a bridge, but if you got some swamp land in FLA I got cash to spend, and its to object.

• 2 weeks later...

In general, the pups in both are righteous depending on your preferences, I like my custom quite a bit and for my purposes prefer the custom. 

Something else, the same price uplift generally applies to LP standard and custom models,  but LP custom models are very available. If "rarity" and the visual appointments float your boat, then the custom  is worth the buckazoids. 

On 3/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, gnappi said:

In general, the pups in both are righteous depending on your preferences, I like my custom quite a bit and for my purposes prefer the custom. 

Something else, the same price uplift generally applies to LP standard and custom models,  but LP custom models are very available. If "rarity" and the visual appointments float your boat, then the custom  is worth the buckazoids. 

Its more than that to me. The ebony board will survive my fingers. The rosewood would rut and erode.

Its still one hell of a price hike though!