Gibson Brands Forums

Songs that can stand the test of time

Silenced Fred

Jax...

I don't think "Yesterday."

I think "Happy birthday to you" would better qualify. It ain't the fanciest piece of music, but if you wanna talk "classic," it certainly fills the bill...

I also find it interesting that current rock is considered so much "songs that can stand the test of time" when there ain't been nearly as much time as some of the "jazz standards." Then there are some blues standards that date back over a century. Scott Joplin might almost be considered "classical music" in a sense. And how about such as Beethoven's "Moonlight sonata" or Liszt's "Liebestraum?"

m

The subject of the thread is "Songs that stand the test of time"-----According to the Guiness Book of World Records- Yesterday by the Beatles is the song with the most cover versions ever recorded...

But according to Rolling Stone Magazine the 500 most popular albums list show the top 20 break down as;

1•Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

2•Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys

3•Revolver, The Beatles

4•Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan

5•Rubber Soul, The Beatles

6•What’s Going On, Marvin Gaye

7•Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones

8•London Calling, The Clash

9•Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan

10•The White Album, The Beatles

11•The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley

12•Kind of Blue, Miles Davis

13•The Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground

14•Abbey Road, The Beatles

15•Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

16•Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan

17•Nevermind, Nirvana

18•Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

19•Astral Weeks, Van Morrison

20•Thriller, Michael Jackson.

Jax...

I think it's ASCAP that "owns" the common version of "Happy Birthday to You." If one considers how often it's sung...

Now if you said "pop" songs... <grin> Hey, I'd go for a lotta stuff. Yesterday certainly meets a lot of age groups' thoughts and inclinations, though, and I will wager it will stand the test of time for sure.

m

Bohemian Rhapsody for sure - simply a masterpiece that I never tire of ( despite it being played to death during the Wayne's World era)

Welcome to the Jungle ( and really all of Appetite) - It sounds as heavy today as it did in 87

Those are two just off the top of my head. When someone says the song "stands the test of time" I interpret that to mean the song does not sound "dated". Bohemian Rhapsody does not sound like it came out of the 70's (or the 80's or the 90's or 60's) to me. It just sounds.... awesome!

Same with Welcome to the Jungle. It does not sound like a song from the 80's ( or 90's or 70's, etc.) to me. It just sounds like a killer, in your face rock song.

Jax...

I think it's ASCAP that "owns" the common version of "Happy Birthday to You." If one considers how often it's sung...

Now if you said "pop" songs... <grin> Hey' date=' I'd go for a lotta stuff. Yesterday certainly meets a lot of age groups' thoughts and inclinations, though, and I will wager it will stand the test of time for sure.

m

[/quote']

Ah..But is having groups of people around the world sing "Happy Birthday to You" at party's and offices considered a cover? <grin>

Apparently ASCAP thinks so - which is why a lotta restaurant/bar franchises have their own "happy birthday" songs.

Yeah, I think I'd consider it a "cover" in a sense.

I guess too I never much liked the term "cover" in a lotta ways. In the swing era, for example, just about everybody ended up playing pretty much the same music with their own arrangements and I think folks tended to think of it as different bands' "versions" of a song rather than a cover.

But then it was kinda considered that the song as written and the "version" as arranged were different creatures.

m

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently ASCAP thinks so - which is why a lotta restaurant/bar franchises have their own "happy birthday" songs.

Yeah, I think I'd consider it a "cover" in a sense.

I guess too I never much liked the term "cover" in a lotta ways. In the swing era, for example, just about everybody ended up playing pretty much the same music with their own arrangements and I think folks tended to think of it as different bands' "versions" of a song rather than a cover.

But then it was kinda considered that the song as written and the "version" as arranged were different creatures.

m

+1 I try and work on arrangements of songs. I don't like to do a straight cover, note for note, I like to make it my own.

Archived