Gibson Brands Forums

How do you unwind?

daneman

We all have THOSE days where nothing much at all goes right,and for me at the end of a day like this,I'm just glad I've got my trusty guitars!!!I know some guys crack open a cold frothy beverage,and some might even unwind with a nice fat cigar,I'm just curious what makes us able to slide off the residual crap still klinging to us,and roll back the stress level to a point we feel human again.

So guys how do you unwind??

Here's one of my favorite ways.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W3tXBJhfP2Q

So lets hear about how you guys shed the stress!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Nick,and I must confess the 1st minute or 2, I was trying to think of something to play.But man that clean tone just sparkles I think I'll be playing clean more often,even tho everything you do wrong is really brought out!! With no delay compression echo its just bare fingers and wood.Wasn't there a thread a day or 2 ago.....?

If you make it past the 2 minute mark on my video some of the playing is better I just played rythm parts so as to capture the tone I was getting,so I could listen when I wasn't playing,thought dang that's relaxing,and hence this thread.

Nickblues wrote:

"I do the same just grab one and start to play. "

Just like yesterday....and I get on my knees and pray....we won't get fooled againo:)

Sorry couldn't resist.

We all have THOSE days where nothing much at all goes right' date='and for me at the end of a day like this,I'm just glad I've got my trusty guitars!!!I know some guys crack open a cold frothy beverage,and some might even unwind with a nice fat cigar,I'm just curious what makes us able to slide off the residual crap still klinging to us,and roll back the stress level to a point we feel human again.

So guys how do you unwind??

Here's one of my favorite ways.

[youtube']http://youtube.com/watch?v=W3tXBJhfP2Q

So lets hear about how you guys shed the stress!!!

I must have played a million hours of Diablo II...

As far as playing goes, we all have good days and bad days. It really does not matter what others think when your playing just for your own enjoyment. It's the effort that counts.

Just think of all those who have tried to play and gave up. Just think of all the money they save by not buying new stuff. Just think about all those deals on guitar equipment when they sell the unplayable things to us. That's what matters.:-

Meditation reminds me....years ago whenever I had a particularly bad headache at work, I'd go home, put on some headphones, get out "Rice Pudding" by Jeff Beck and turn it up as loud as the headphones would allow. Headache gone, every time. ](*,)

You know, I was thinking about this the other day, and it sounds strange, but working on guitars really relaxes me... Even the pain the *** stuff that nobody likes to do, like intonation or neck adjustments, or fret filing, etc... Not to mention the fun stuff like mods and upgrades! I just loose all sense of time and get absorbed in it...

Yeah guys all those are great ways to unwind!!

If you sat thru my whole vid,I think you can tell at what point I'm starting to relax,not worrying if some young gun will think my playing sucks,and really starting to enjoy it!!! When I recorded that,it had been a really stressfilled day at work,auditors from proctor and gamble were running all over our factory. I can play pretty well if relaxed enough,next time beer first!!

I think tonite,2 or 3 to start off!! Then we'll see if I want more.

This brutal week is over for me,now its time to unwind!!!!

Daneman, hey how's it going? I read further down this thread that you were having a rough workweek (Proctor & Gamble auditors at your warehouse). I've had several this past month (I work for IBM's Business Continuity & Resiliecy Services as a Technical Architect for the AS400/iSeries/System i platform supporting the Mktg Reps and Business Partners...talk about a major headache). Yeh, after I've put in my umteem hours (that's why I haven't been on the forum much lately), I go get my guitar (electric or acoustic depending on my mood) and do some lickin' and pickin'. I think I get more stress release when I'm playing with my band though, so I'm doing something constructive. Not to say that sittin' down on my own playing isn't constructive because that's how I work out some of my playing ideas, when I'm not just noddling while watchin' TV or something.

On a different note, I had to take my Sheraton II for an adjustment. I had to try out a new techie as my old guitar tech passed away not too long ago. Anyhow, I called the guy up today to see if my baby was ready (I've been playing my drummer's Fender Tele all week; BTW he needs to bring his guitar to the shop). Well he tells me he just finished up and said that this is one of the sweetest Sheraton II's he's ever worked on and played. He said he's worked on a number of them, some good, some bad, but mine's been the best he's ever come across. I thought that was really nice of him to say that. I would have picked it up today, but it's been snowing like crazy here in lower New York State. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning. I have a gig with the band tomorrow night so I'm looking forward to getting my Sheri back and making some great music. :D

Archived