Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite picks?

bluefoxicy

What's all your favorite picks? I favor a Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm but I've been looking into having an extra heavy around for a bit stronger attack (my guitar ALMOST sounds like Slash's now with the right volume on the Valve Jr.). I've also found recently that I favor a copper-zinc penny for a really nice bright tone; while using a pre-1983 penny (pure copper; drop one on the table, it'll ring versus a newer penny that just has a flat sound and no sustain) produces a really mellow tone.

... talking about American pennies here, not Canadian.

1mm Dunlop Ultex (Gold ones), .88 Dunlop (Green), and a 2.0mm Pickboy Jazz pick. Sometimes I change to a .75 Dunlop Ultex for rhythm.

My fingers are calloused and dry. I have been known to use "tacky finger", the stuff office workers use to handle papers. It puts a little moisture in the fingers so you can grasp the pick. I carry it in my gig bag.

Some article I read quoted Billy Gibbons talking about a pick he made from a mexican peso. He ground it to to the exact shape of his dunlop picks. It gives him the squeals that he's famous for even better than using a thick Dunlop.

Archived