Gibson Brands Forums

picking up a faded epi sg with binding

rainbowgirl22

i thought it was so cool to find a g400 with binding and cool inlays ... so cool infact that im about to make her mine. my question is is, this a rare epi? i know it's off their faded/vintage line but all the others in the series have no binding. is there any difference in specs? anywho i can't wait to bring her home . this will be my first sg. i love the tone much brighter than an lp, and the neck feels really comfy .the pickups are probably the best i've heard from the epi line.

I have a faded G-400 with neck binding and couldn't be happier with it - the best $300 I ever spent on a guitar. The pickups are surprisingly hot and much brighter than an LP or the bolt-on G-310. Love the satin finish on the neck as well.

Some will say this is an increasingly rare model but I can't confirm or deny that. I CAN confirm, especially if it's a EE or EA serial, you'll be very happy with it =D>/

The thing is, apparently, there are two different models here. Originally, there was the "vintage" G-400, with neck binding, faded finish, aged inlays and one piece neck (no scarf joint at the headstock). Then there is the current "faded" G-400, which may or may not have all these features, particularly the neck binding.

Still, I'm sure they cranked out thousands of the original vintage G-400s so it's not like they are hella rare, although I suppose they will be harder to find than the standard glossy G-400. I've got one sitting in its original box waiting for me to do nasty things to it.

The thing is' date=' apparently, there are two different models here. Originally, there was the "vintage" G-400, with neck binding, faded finish, aged inlays and one piece neck (no scarf joint at the headstock). Then there is the current "faded" G-400, which may or may not have all these features, particularly the neck binding.

Still, I'm sure they cranked out thousands of the original vintage G-400s so it's not like they are hella rare, although I suppose they will be harder to find than the standard glossy G-400. I've got one sitting in its original box waiting for me to do nasty things to it.[/quote']

Interesting - I never heard of a Vintage G-400 or thereabouts. I'm not at home so I can't check for the scarf joint, but now that you mention it, I've never noticed it on that guitar. It's got a rosewood board and the body is definitely one piece, for what it's worth. Other than the binding, are there any other key differences? Pickups or neck material?

Wow, thanks - definitely learned something today. That's mine alright, everything down to the orange toggle switch (tho mine's the walnut finish). I wonder what they went for on the streets? I found mine locally a few months back for $299 and knew after about 30 seconds it was a steal at that price.

When they were originally released they were going for about $100 over the cost of a regular G-400 in Canada... Somewhere around $500 Canadian. I really have to get my arse in gear an start stripping mine down... guess I'll finish this LP Studio first though. Sigh. So many projects, so little time.

It's kinda confusing. In the 2007 Epi catalog, here's a note about the "Vintage" SG with neck binding being replaced by the "Faded" model, which doesn;t have the binding on the neck. If it is discontinued,

that's too bad. I was looking around for a faded-brown one, which seems rarer than a red one and those have gotten pretty rare.

It's kinda confusing. In the 2007 Epi catalog' date=' here's a note about the "Vintage" SG with neck binding being replaced by the "Faded" model, which doesn;t have the binding on the neck. If it is discontinued,

that's too bad.[/quote']

This happens a lot with Epiphone catalogs as well as on their web site... they tend to hang on to old pictures that don't match the current specs. The vintage G-400 originally appeared in the 2003 catalog; when the faded G-400 debuted in the 2006 catalog they basically used the same pic from the 2003/2004 catalogs. So even though they are selling the faded G-400, the pic in the catalogs is of a vintage model. They have a more up-to-date pic on the web site though.

This happens a lot with Epiphone catalogs as well as on their web site... they tend to hang on to old pictures that don't match the current specs. The vintage G-400 originally appeared in the 2003 catalog; when the faded G-400 debuted in the 2006 catalog they basically used the same pic from the 2003/2004 catalogs. So even though they are selling the faded G-400' date=' the pic in the catalogs is of a vintage model. They have a more up-to-date pic on the web site though.[/quote']

MF is still showing a pic of the faded g-400 as a vintage with the bound fingerboard. I am assuming you would get one with out the bound fingerboard if you ordered it from them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669

N.B. AFAIK' date=' EE = Epiphone Electric and EA = Epiphone Acoustic...[/quote'] afaik, EA and EE(beginning letters of serial numbers) guitars are from the Qing Dao (spelling??) Chinese plant - don't believe it has anything to do with "Epi electric" or "Epi acoustic."

Well, the thing is, the plant at QingDao is the only true Epiphone plant, hence the "E" in the serials as opposed to "QD". QingDao is merely the name of the city it's located in. All other plants belong to subcontractors such as Unsung, Saein, etc.

JC Willow...is the model in your Avatar still available? I see them in the stores (occassionally) but not in the Epi catalog. Another model I'm confused about.

They aren't availbable any more. Every once in a while they show up on Ebay, but unfortunately there is a feeding frenzy for them and the price of a used one goes for close to what a new one used to. My guess is that eventually the frenzy will die down and you should be able to find one at a fairly reasonable price.

They aren't availbable any more. Every once in a while they show up on Ebay' date=' but unfortunately there is a feeding frenzy for them and the price of a used one goes for close to what a new one used to. My guess is that eventually the frenzy will die down and you should be able to find one at a fairly reasonable price.[/quote']

I've been watching every '57 Junior that comes through eBay since my 2 failed attempts to get an undamaged one from MF, and I can tell ya, they're going for crazy money! BROKEN ones are going for the price of a new one... Used ones are going for like $100 or more over..

PROSPERO i will endeavor to post some pics:) really i should take a family photo of all my gits. starring my new sg of course. let me just say that this guitar has the most comfortable neck out of all of the guitars i own, and the piuckups are really awesome . very high output, but i do see myself swapping them in the future. the pafs are a great suggestion

Archived