Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Drozd's of the flaming Lips uses an Epiphone

Martin101

Steve Drozd of the flaming lips uses an Epipjone double neck for a couple of songs. He calls the guitar a cheapie, but he likes it better than the double neck that Gibson gave him.

Here is a link to him performing with the guitar:

Epi's double neck G-1275 isn't bad I'm told. Heavy like a giant brick though. I can't imagine ever playing a guitar like that!

I would love to get my hands on a normal Epi but like a Les Paul 12 string or such. A 12 string strat would do it for me too. The sound is beautiful but I bet it's a totally different instrument and much harder to play (how do you bend 2 strings???)

I would love to get my hands on a normal Epi but like a Les Paul 12 string or such.

Epi had a 12-string Les Paul for a while back around 2000. As to bending, well, a 12-string is pretty much a uniquely rhythm instrument, you don't hear too many flaming solos on them... just some basic riffs such as by the Byrds on 'Tambourine Man'...

Epi had a 12-string Les Paul for a while back around 2000. As to bending' date=' well, a 12-string is pretty much a uniquely rhythm instrument, you don't hear too many flaming solos on them... just some basic riffs such as by the Byrds on 'Tambourine Man'...[/quote']

Jimmy Page does a pretty mean solo on the movie "Song Remains The Same" on the 12 side of that rig...

Epi's double neck G-1275 isn't bad I'm told. Heavy like a giant brick though. I can't imagine ever playing a guitar like that!

I think you'd be surprised. I thought the exact same thing. Even sitting down with it in your lap is relatively easy.

Epi had a 12-string Les Paul for a while back around 2000. As to bending' date=' well, a 12-string is pretty much a uniquely rhythm instrument, you don't hear too many flaming solos on them... just some basic riffs such as by the Byrds on 'Tambourine Man'...[/quote']

Don't know... this guy right here, he knows his way around a double-neck or two.

DSC_2329.jpg

DSC_6463.jpg

are those p-94s in that double-neck' date=' and who is the guitarist? [/quote']

That's Gordie Johnson (formerly of Canada's Big Sugar, currently of Texas' Grady.) Those are Gibson P94 pickups on his signature custom double-necks. (You can see his signature on the truss-rod covers, although when Gibson released his signature guitar it was an SG with P94s, not an EDS-1275, despite being better known for playing the double-neck.)

Th Flaming Lips are amazing. Especially live here in Oklahoma City' date=' since theyre from here. I love how his 12 string has an iPod tapped to the end of it.[/quote']

Cool.

I saw that movie 'Fearless Freaks'-The Flaming Lips

You could probably walk right up to Waynes door and talk to him.

It was pretty Scary watching Steve fight off that addiction

I hope he's maintaining 100% clean these days.

He looks much healthier now.

Archived