Gibson Brands Forums

$30 Preamp makes the VJ "Shine" and boosts the volume and gain too!

Here's the test results from testing my ART TUBE MP with my VJ head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

240191.jpg

WOW. It really does BOOST the VJ's volume and gain. By boosting the INPUT and OUTPUT levels it adds much more of both - you can overdrive the tube easily. It also has a +20db gain button (right below the green led) that slams it like a tubescreamer. The extra "noise" isn't that bad really with the VJ (noticed it more with my computer when using it as a DI in Logic)... It adds a true TUBE warmth that isn't bad at all - I'm probably going to order another one and keep this lil' baby hooked to the VJ.

It not only boosts the overall volume for clean & wide open "dirty" but it will make it louder and Dirtier too even dimed. I love it and for $30 it's a great addition to the family. I'm gonna take it apart tonight and try an EH 12AX7A I have in my drawer. Another bud of mine in a guitar forum says changing the tube really helps it "shine". I recommend this baby to anyone as a cheap "boost" and a great gain boost too at lower volumes. It works like a Tubescreamer! BUT A REAL TUBE Tubescreamer. I'm loving the differences I'm getting from it. It's a great "mod" and doesn't require soldering anything or drilling, etc. You'll love it :-#

Glad to hear that Strange, after we talked about it in the other forum a new topic seemed like a great way to pass on the info. I guess that settles it for me as well. Got a promotion code from MF for 10% off and free shipping. Now I know what I'll use it on.

It has a tube in it.

What I meant was, is there a obvious added benefit soundwise? I love my tube amps. But I generally use overdrive/boosters pedals to kick the signal in the balls. So this 30 bucks box has gotten me slightly disturbed.

What I meant was' date=' is there a obvious added benefit soundwise? I love my tube amps. But I generally use overdrive/boosters pedals to kick the signal in the balls. So this 30 bucks box has gotten me slightly disturbed.[/quote']

I'm not convinced that the tube actually does anything, other than sit there and look cool.

Some info here:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

The Behringer was copied from the ART mic pre:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-49043_6_200.html

From this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/49043-6-behringer-disturbing-article

I'd like to see a schematic to verify that the tube is actually in the signal path and actually contributes to the circuit in some way.

tung

Only one easy way to know for sure... Dive in!

Check the voltages on the tube while listening for the taps at the output. Confirmation could be as easy and simple as removing the tube and checking for audio output. More confirmation could come from feeding the MP a signal, and using a patch cord and coupling cap to tap the signal directly from the tube and route it to an external amp input.

Gil...

@Tunghaichuan. Disturbing read indeed!

I'm gonna take it apart tonight and try an EH 12AX7A I have in my drawer. Another bud of mine in a guitar forum says changing the tube really helps it "shine".

Can you enlighten us Strangedogs?

it's NOT a pedal - won't give you DEATH METAL or anything like that - it adds a tube "warmness" and also a bit of a boost... both volume and gain too when you overdrive the tube in it (turn the OUTPUT knob up). Bad thing is there's no ON/OFF switch - you have to unplug it - there's no bypass to it.

I'd want it so I could drive the preamp a bit harder. with real tube tone..

so that I could have a little more dirt at a little less volume..

and I'd also like to thicken up the clean sounds.

and it sounds to me like the art would do that pretty nicely.

given a little volume boost as well is also cool.

I've got a digitech rp7 with a 12ax7 tube in it. but that's still a ton of circuitry as well..

the bypassed sound is close. but still affects dynamics..

and tube or no tube for the rp7s preamp.. the dynamics pretty much are gone. even without the compressor.

that circuit just isn't as good as the vj..

hopefully the art would be different.. tone addition, and dynamics left alone..a little more gain.. a little more oomph.. but TUBE nothing else..tube tone tube character tube response..

monkey may see, but monkey wont do.

for me. *S*

I've never actually used one of these, so I"m not entirely "in the know" on the subject, but I did do a helluva lot of reading on various mic preamps while I was putting together my digital studio a few years ago. Generally, the consensus amongst those who were in the know at the time, was that, for the money, these aren't horrible mic preamps. However, the better choice was deemed to be a $100 solid state M Audio offering at the time, so that's what I went with.

The tube in this ART box isn't doing a whole lot. It's a starved plate design circuit, so there's no actual tube amplification going on there. It MIGHT be providing a TINY bit of color, but nothing that you couldn't get from transistors.

The sound improvement you're hearing is due to the boosting of the signal. And, while it would surely be possible and simple to build a bypass loop for this device and use it as a guitar pedal, the fact is that there are at least several dozens of highly qualified, guitar-specific boost/buffer pedals that would do the same thing.

I think you'd be far better off throwing together one of Jack Orman's incredibly simple miniboosters or his mosfet boost, personally. For probably less money than this mic pre, you could have an incredible guitar signal booster. If you just want a clean boost, the mosfet is your circuit. If you want some grit as you turn up the knob, the minibooster is the one. Both circuits are phenomenal boosters, and have literally launched more than one booteek pedal company.

I'd like to see a schematic to verify that the tube is actually in the signal path and actually contributes to the circuit in some way.

tung

At least in the Behringer VT911 (tube overdrive) the preamp tube does contribute to the sound. The 12AX7 in there responds the same way to mods as it does in a tube amp.

At least in the Behringer VT911 (tube overdrive) the preamp tube does contribute to the sound. The 12AX7 in there responds the same way to mods as it does in a tube amp.

That appears to be a tube driver clone, and if so, you are correct that the tube contributes to the tone. However, it's more akin to how clipping diodes in a T/S or Rat contribute to tone than anything that happens inside a tube amp.

Maybe I could build my own... ideas?

If you're referring to a tube driver-type circuit, standard voltage warnings apply. There is a PCB available from GGG, among other places, I'm sure, but it comes with a warning that the circuit is prone to being noisy.

If you're referring to a SS booster/buffer, which would be significantly better, go visit Jack Orman's site and read up. Both the minibooster and the mosfet boost are fantastic guitar devices. You can't go wrong with either.

Archived