Gibson Brands Forums

What FX do you use?

Syrma

I use chorus, echo, reverb, crunch, wah, and occassionally tremelo, but all are built into my Vox. I would like to hear opinions on the best under $300 multi-effects unit. I have a Zoom 707 but don't really like the fact that you have to stomp stomp stomp to get from one effect to another. I can save settings to custom positions, but still have to stomp 3 times to get from one to another. I'd like to have a good programmable unit that has at least 4 pedal buttons that I can program sounds to.

Paul Stanley once said; " If you can't [get] the sound you want from your guitar and amp than you need a new guitar and amp ".

:-) To certain extent this is very true. Lately I find it very challenging getting a good tone playing unplugged(on a electric). I like thick fat saturated gains, but they do nothing for my technique...

Also nothing will reveal a guitar's true character more than playing it unplugged.

I use chorus' date=' echo, reverb, crunch, wah, and occassionally tremelo, but all are built into my Vox. I would like to hear opinions on the best under $300 multi-effects unit. I have a Zoom 707 but don't really like the fact that you have to stomp stomp stomp to get from one effect to another. I can save settings to custom positions, but still have to stomp 3 times to get from one to another. I'd like to have a good programmable unit that has at least 4 pedal buttons that I can program sounds to.

[/quote']

ME-50 can have a seperate footswitch to swap between patches, giving you access to 6 banks easily... Tho as said. I think the Wah pedal is a bit on the poor side...

I use a Zoom G1X. Or I guess I should say I under-use a Zoom G1X.

I use it as a direct box to my PA and I basically use 3 settings:

1) Twin Reverb Emulation

2) Acoustic Emulation

3) Wah Wah

4) A distorted Blues setting (modifying a factory preset)

For the majority of what I play in The Sophisticats (which as you can see from our song list is MOR music for baby boomers with a few "art" songs for us thrown in), I use the Twin Reverb emulation, which is clean with a touch of 'verb.

Acoustic emulation every once in a while for Folk-Rock or Country songs

Wah Wah for Disco things.

Blues setting for a few songs like Jumpin' Jack Flash, but we don't get to play those as much as I'd actually like O:)

---------

You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, or you can play for the general public. In most cases (if you are good enough) you will get the audience you asked for. (My quote modified from something I heard a long time ago)

A guitar and a cranked up amplifier

AMEN! Although...I do, on occasion, use a compressor/sustainer (mostly, for the Rickenbacker 12-string)

and a bit more "overdrive," wah-wah, and rotary speaker pedals. But, just a "Cranked" amp and

a good guitar, is SO SWEET, alone....provided, of course, that you can "crank" the amp to it's "sweet

spot," without deafening folks. Pedals (and, smaller amps, of course) can help, in cases

where that's not possible.

CB

AD50VT

Most of the time I play using my channel 2 tweed 4x10 setup which is slight tubey distortion that cleans up when the guitar volume is backed off 1/4. Channel 1 is set up clean on the twin model.

From time to time I will reach back and flip to chorus if the song needs it or to compression if I want l-o-n-g sustains.

If the vox had switchable programming to more than the 2 footswitches, I' d' never consider a pedal other than my Fender Tuner pedal.

Dang that was hard to type on my Blackberry keyboard (grin)

DOD Milkbox compressor -->

BBE Green Screamer overdrive -->

Boss Metal Zone distortion -->

BBE Sonic Stomp maximizer -->

Marshall Echohead delay -->

Marshall Valvestate 40W and Park 25W amps.

...and you should see the list of stuff I'm NOT using.

I just picked up a MXR Zakk Wylde overderive. It's pretty cool. Can't wait to get a wah pedal next.

Don't know what that setup will do for you and I haven't gigged for many years, but in the early '70's I just played an SG into a Twin Reverb, but for small clubs I was getting too loud to get the sound I wanted. So, I got an MXR dyna comp, added a Thomas Organ Wah pedal and then I bought a NU-FUZZ made by Rosac which my mates tagged The ***** Box... When adusted correctly, I had all the overdrive for any venue or song/piece we played. Looks like you're going for the same sound......J

Archived