Gibson Brands Forums

Best String Gauge/Type for 56 LP Gold Top?

sjhill9859

Been playing the 56 LPGT for about 9 months. First electric guitar in 20 years (I'm primarily a bassist) I've been using extra light strings to go easier on my fingers and because I like the bright, jangly tone. However: The soft nature of this gauge coupled with the large very round frets on this guitar cause bending over the fret that gives it a sharp discordant sound. The obvious fix is heavier gauge strings (and more practice)

To get to the point: If you play the Epi LPGT, what is your favorite string gauge/type and why? For the time being, I loaded up on 4 sets of the Gibson Vintage in a 12ga. but I'm gonna wear out my other 2 sets of extra lights first.

Interesting' date=' Memphis - I like to go lighter on my strat.

EB Regular Slinky's on LP, Super Slinky's on strat. I'm actually thinking of changing to ST/HB Slinky's on my LP. Anyone use those?[/quote']

i love me some SRV ad he used like a mixed match set of 13's i think... so if it worked for him.. i can make it work for me..lol

i love me some SRV ad he used like a mixed match set of 13's i think... so if it worked for him.. i can make it work for me..lol

Yup heavy strings tuned down was part of his tone....you just can't get that puch with whimpy strings...and he also beat the snot out of his guitars.

That's true, I remember reading that somewhere...

Despite having his 4-CD collection and listening to it all the time, I still haven't gotten into playing his stuff yet. I think it's because I'm not good enough and don't feel comfortable butchering his songs!

One of these days, though. One of these days...

Yup heavy strings tuned down was part of his tone....you just can't get that puch with whimpy strings...and he also beat the snot out of his guitars.

add small strings to the sound of a strat just dont do it for me... thats why i liked the 12's on it they sound like they have some balls now but AGAIN thats my 2 cents

I'm a diehard fan of those Light Top Heavy Bottom sets, 10-52. Basically a hybrid of a regular 10-46 and a medium 11-52 set, you get those powerhouse bottoms but the tops are still easy to bend. Regular Dean Markley or D'Addario XL, occasionally Ernie Balls... I'm not really a brand fanatic. I also tried a set of Thomastik Infelds on my LP and they're pretty nice but @#$%^& expensive.

I've been experimenting lately with a wound .018 in place of the solid .017... not sure how viable this is. They bend easily enough but the effect seems less audible... you push like crazy but the pitch only seems to go up a little.

Guest Silence Dogood
I'm a diehard fan of those Light Top Heavy Bottom sets' date=' 10-52. Basically a hybrid of a regular 10-46 and a medium 11-52 set, you get those powerhouse bottoms but the tops are still easy to bend. Regular Dean Markley or D'Addario XL, occasionally Ernie Balls... I'm not really a brand fanatic. I also tried a set of Thomastik Infelds on my LP and they're pretty nice but @#$%^& expensive.[/quote']

I've been toying with that idea myself. I think I'll try that on my next change, LP and Strat. I've been using the hybrid 9-46's, but they're just a little too light.

I'm a diehard fan of those Light Top Heavy Bottom sets' date=' 10-52. Basically a hybrid of a regular 10-46 and a medium 11-52 set, you get those powerhouse bottoms but the tops are still easy to bend. [/quote']

borat_wideweb__470x335,0.jpg

I'd prefer Ernie Balls but I buy GHS sets instead, because their price here is only a third of the EB's.

Archived