Gibson Brands Forums

Epi or Gibson

ysottot

I got this 2006 Gibson SG Special for $729Cdn, less than the faded special new. It has the glossy finish which was a bonus for me and it included the plush Gibson hardcase rather than the gig bag provided with the faded. The 490 pickups sound great and with a few tweaks of the neck, bridge and tailpiece it plays great too.

DSCN4676.jpg

DSCN4681.jpg

I gotta say that if he goes the G400-Epi LP route he probably won't be disappointed. Whereas neither guitar is a 'Gibson', they are both very well made, solid, instruments. And if he really wants bang-for-buck he can upgrade the pickups in both and have two guitars that play and sound (to all but the most sophisicated audiofiles) nearly identical to the Gibs.

Guitar World had an article a couple of months ago called '50 Years of Epiphone' in which the Pres. of Gibson commented that the typical Epi owner has 'at least 5 or 6 instruments'. I think he's probably right. For me, anyway, I'd rather have 4 'good' guitars than one 'great' guitar but that's just me. Variety is the spice of life. One of my truest best pleasures in life is being able to come home from work every night, look at my 30-or-so guitars & say 'now which one am I gonna play tonight'?

Before you go 'wow-30 guitars' let me say that what I've paid for all 30 comes to about 3/4 of a Harley. (I remind my girlfriend of that every time I buy another one. Followed shortly thereafter with 'I'm much less apt to get killed playing my guitar than riding a Harley'.

Works every time.

Have you ever considered a Hagstrom Swede? I was in the market for a Les Paul that wouldn't break my wallet and was lucky to stumble upon a blem gold top reissue Swede at a killer price on the bay. Sounds absolutely fabulous, like a Les Paul but with more bite. Would still leave you with more than enough loot to spend on an Epi SG.

Swede_GOT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

PErsonally I dont buy with resale value in mind...its just not a priority for me, I buy a guitar to keep and play, not to sell later...

If it were me I would get an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard and same the extra $1000...you could get an elitist Les Paul and an elitist dot or g400, both for the price of one new Gibson Les Paul and the differences will be minimal, not worth the extra 1k

Well my $$$ went down a bit. My retro active pay raise will not be a lump sum but spread out over the year. Bummer.

I ended up getting the Gibson SG Classic with P-90's. I think it will make a nice addition to my Fender Strat and Epi (Made by Gibson) PR359S acoustic.Now I just have to keep my eyes open for some Estate sales just in case a rare find shows up.

Thanks to all who gave their opinion. Appreciate the input.

Now I just have to keep my eyes open for some Estate sales just in case a rare find shows up.

Don't walk in expecting anything....

All last summer, I was sure I would find a great deal, and was disappointed every time. I did manage to pick up Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs for $.75.

If your a "Gibson" man...as your wife implied, I'd get the Gibson. There's not a thing wrong with Epiphones,

especially Elitist's, and that's in your price range. But, if you shop around (Try E.M. Shorts, for one), you can

get a Gibson SG Standard, well within that price range. If, however, you want more than one, for that price,

then Epi's are the way to go!

CB

Before you go 'wow-30 guitars' let me say that what I've paid for all 30 comes to about 3/4 of a Harley. (I remind my girlfriend of that every time I buy another one. Followed shortly thereafter with 'I'm much less apt to get killed playing my guitar than riding a Harley'.

Works every time.

That is shear genius.

I'm gonna steal that if you don't mind.

I'm with TWANG and the others. 2 guitars in different styles is always a better bet IMO. I'm probably one of the few here that think that many Gigsons are overrated and the converse with Epis. I'd go for the 2 epis without hesitation. I've owned several Gibsons through the years and honestly haven't cared much for most of them with the exception of an ES-175TD that was stolen many years ago.

Nahhhhhh... IMO two mediocre guitars does not equal one good guitar. If you've got $1000 or so to spend, look for that Gibson deal, lots of options. Don't try to be greedy and get two guitars out of it; just concentrate on getting one really good axe, either an Elitist or a Gibson.

I have a Gibson LP Studio in Wine/Gold and it's a screamer with the 490/498 pups. It's just a little too conservative in looks. If the sunburst

had been available in 1992 I would have gotten that.

My Epi LP custom flametop after changing out the pups to SD Pearly Gates is a screamer also and plays a little better IMHO than the Gibby.

I've never been afraid to mod the Epi. After all, it's a guitar that begs for mods. The Gibby is as stock as the day I bought it new.

Don't worry about the Epi logo. Your friends will be impressed with the quality, looks, and sound, especially if you buy the Elitist. I'd buy

more Epis before I'd buy Gibsons.

I looked at almost every acoustic there was before buying an Alvarez. The quality was there at a much lower price. It's amazing what

you can get from China in terms of quality vs price.

Archived