Gibson Brands Forums

Beginner question

Rap

I've been playing an acoustic guitar for a couple of years and lately started wanting to take it electric. So, last week when I saw the Muscian's Friend Stupid Deal for the G-310 and Valve Jr. amp, I decided to make the jump. Now that I've had a couple of days to fool around on the Stupid Deal, I have a stupid question. Is it normal for the pitch to change on an electric guitar just by pushing down (not bending) harder on a given fret? On the lower frets, I'm getting as much as a half step difference just by using more pressure, and even on the high frets I can hear a difference. Since I've never known this to happen on my acoustics, I'm feeling frustrated by the lack of control I seem to have on the electric. I'm wondering whether this is just something I need to get used to, or is there something in the action or intonation I need to adjust on the guitar. Right now, I'm mainly just learning scales, but I can see this becoming a bigger issue as I progress. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Yeah, that's possible, especially if your action is on the high side. You shouldn't need to press as hard on an electric since the strings are smaller. You're probably applying the same pressure that you're used to on your acoustic; you need to lighten it up a little.

I recently re-entered the world of electrics after playing acoustic for many years. One factor is the bigger (taller) frets found on most of today's electrics. So, acoustic-like heavy-handedness must be replaced with a lighter touch. Same thing goes with lighter gauge strings found on most electrics, although you can opt for heavier strings. A common problem area would be that the height at the nut is too high; that would need a precision adjustment.

I agree with spud. I played the acoustic for 15 years before switching to electric. I've been playing for almost 2 years and still have to remember sometimes not to press too hard on the string. What happens is you press so hard you actually move (bend) the string a little. Like I said, it still happens to me. We just have to lighten up!

Some players tell me to use that for vibrato' date=' and they favor extra-jumbo Dunlop frets to make the effect more pronounced. I'm not sure how hard to press, and want to concentrate on playing rather than massaging the neck.[/quote']

Isn't it kind of hard to play the guitar when you're massaging someone's neck? #-o

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the helpful answers. Bluefoxicy, are you talking about achieving vibrato by varying the pressure you apply to the string? I guess at some point I might be ready to work on that as a technique, but right now I'm with you. I just want the notes that come out to be the ones I'm expecting.

I like my electrics to be a little lighter than my acoustic. I use 12's on the Alvarez and 10's on the electrics. You can get vibrato by varying the pressure on the frets, but you are better off to develop a wrist action and bend the string up and down slightly. Watch some youtubes of BB King for this technique. Your strings may be a little light on the electric. If you are using 09's and are used to the acoustic, you would be better off using 10's. To stay in tune, develop a habit of fretting right behind the fret, not in the middle between the frets. That will lessen the tendecy for the note to go sharp.

Well, I never had a problem like that on my electrics until the LP-100 stupid deal I picked up on. It's driving me nuts, but at least now I know its a fret problem and a common one. Have to be honest though, I do like what I can do with the sound with these higher frets, but feel it's cheating and that I should be using the traditional bending and vibrato techniques. No doubt when I go back to my other guitars, this option won't be there and I'll be having to re-adjust my playing technique again.

I've been playing an acoustic guitar for a couple of years and lately started wanting to take it electric. So' date=' last week when I saw the Muscian's Friend Stupid Deal for the G-310 and Valve Jr. amp, I decided to make the jump. Now that I've had a couple of days to fool around on the Stupid Deal, I have a stupid question. [b']Is it normal for the pitch to change on an electric guitar just by pushing down (not bending) harder on a given fret? [/b]On the lower frets, I'm getting as much as a half step difference just by using more pressure, and even on the high frets I can hear a difference. Since I've never known this to happen on my acoustics, I'm feeling frustrated by the lack of control I seem to have on the electric. I'm wondering whether this is just something I need to get used to, or is there something in the action or intonation I need to adjust on the guitar. Right now, I'm mainly just learning scales, but I can see this becoming a bigger issue as I progress. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

This is quite normal. Especially after you mentioned the fact that you have been playing only acoustic previously. There are a few factors that come into play here...

1. height of action and frets

2. your fret hand (as well as your pick hand) are used to the rather "harder-to-press" acoustic strings. So naturally, your hand would also press the electric guitar's strings the same way it does with the acoustic.

Just give it a week or even a few days and you should be fine.

I rarely play acoustics anymore for that very reason. It totally throws off my touch for electrics.

I always tell beginners "if you're going to be an electric player then start off playing electrics. Playing acoustics only gives you a bunch of bad habits you're going to have to break when you switch to electrics".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived