Gibson Brands Forums

What famous guitar player do most guitarists love to hate??????????????

Yeah, what's up with that? I noticed several threads are gone, most of which were still "active."

Why don't they delete ones that are way past being discussed? People are people, and topics

will "stray" now and then, but we always seem to get back on track, somehow. So..???

CB

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"and I personally don't think it takes anything away from what he's done musically"

Not tryin to pick a fight but I don't think he's ever done anything I would call "musically" outstanding at all....and that's being nice. He's an a$$hole to boot......just my opinion of course.

Didn't say it was "outstanding", but, and I'm not pickin' a fight either, my point was that his music, to me, doesn't really have anything to do with his views on things. Some people would think otherwise, but that's the nice thing about opinions, everyones entitled to one, and Tulsaslim, I meant no disrespect, my hats off to you Vietnam guys, I will never know firsthand what that hell must have been like, I can only imagine. That said, I stand by my Hammet thing, the guy does nothing for me at all, christ, if ESP's gonna do a sig guitar for that fool, they should do a Joe Schmoe sicko Stratothingy sig guitar for the intermediate player that would no doubt blow anything he's got out of the water.

Didn't say it was "outstanding"' date=' but, and I'm not pickin' a fight either, my point was that his music, to me, doesn't really have anything to do with his views on things. Some people would think otherwise, but that's the nice thing about opinions, everyones entitled to one, and Tulsaslim, I meant no disrespect, my hats off to you Vietnam guys, I will never know firsthand what that hell must have been like, I can only imagine. That said, I stand by my Hammet thing, the guy does nothing for me at all, christ, if ESP's gonna do a sig guitar for that fool, they should do a Joe Schmoe sicko Stratothingy sig guitar for the intermediate player that would no doubt blow anything he's got out of the water.[/quote']

Didn't say it was "outstanding"' date=' but, and I'm not pickin' a fight either, my point was that his music, to me, doesn't really have anything to do with his views on things. Some people would think otherwise, but that's the nice thing about opinions, everyones entitled to one, and Tulsaslim, I meant no disrespect, my hats off to you Vietnam guys, I will never know firsthand what that hell must have been like, I can only imagine. That said, I stand by my Hammet thing, the guy does nothing for me at all, christ, if ESP's gonna do a sig guitar for that fool, they should do a Joe Schmoe sicko Stratothingy sig guitar for the intermediate player that would no doubt blow anything he's got out of the water.[/quote']

Yeah man I hear you...I missed the point sorry.....I hate the political BS too! I never intended to make a politcal comment or one that could be taken that way.....an *** is an *** regardless of his gun stance. I know a bunch of players who influenced me too and aren't technically great players by any strech but they were there at the time...and you relate to that...I did too.

Malmsteen, Malmsteen, Malmsteen!! The finest in musical masturbation... The guitarist for whom the term "wank" was coined... Couldn't stand him when I was teenager and I don't know why ANYBODY's still talking about him now! His 15 minutes should have expired 20 years ago!

Ritchie Blackmore was also a ****-head, but at least he was MUSICAL... Now he's a playing minstrel music at renaissance fairs..

Ted Nugent? You have to reach back to the Amboy Dukes to hear something original from him... Personal politics aside, I think everything he does is contrived and formulaic..

ANYBODY in Nickleback.... I just don't like Nickleback.... A lot!

Paul Stanely..... I don't really need to explain that... He's not a guitarist, he's a fey fashion model... He should teach Fabio how to play bass and form another band..

Might as well mention the Space Ace while I'm at it... He should teach Paul Stanley some more chords and be their...... uh...... I don't know what else he could do...

Jason Mraz... While not really known as a guitarist.... I just don't like him... Actually, at first, I liked his clever rhymes... Until he started writing clever rhymes about how clever his rhymes are... (I still can't call them lyrics..)

And I know I this'll ruffle some feathers, but.... SLASH. Ok, the guy can play, but come on... I think he's just a tad overrated...

Malmsteen' date=' Malmsteen, Malmsteen!! The finest in musical masturbation... The guitarist for whom the term "wank" was coined... Couldn't stand him when I was teenager and I don't know why ANYBODY's still talking about him now! His 15 minutes should have expired 20 years ago!

Ritchie Blackmore was also a ****-head, but at least he was MUSICAL... Now he's a playing minstrel music at renaissance fairs..

Ted Nugent? You have to reach back to the Amboy Dukes to hear something original from him... Personal politics aside, I think everything he does is contrived and formulaic..

ANYBODY in Nickleback.... I just don't like Nickleback.... A lot!

Paul Stanely..... I don't really need to explain that... He's not a guitarist, he's a fey [u']fashion model[/u]... He should teach Fabio how to play bass and form another band..

Might as well mention the Space Ace while I'm at it... He should teach Paul Stanley some more chords and be their...... uh...... I don't know what else he could do...

Jason Mraz... While not really known as a guitarist.... I just don't like him... Actually, at first, I liked his clever rhymes... Until he started writing clever rhymes about how clever his rhymes are... (I still can't call them lyrics..)

And I know I this'll ruffle some feathers, but.... SLASH. Ok, the guy can play, but come on... I think he's just a tad overrated...

PERFECT!!

=D> =D> =D>

I don't actually hate the man' date=' but I have absolutely NO respect for Ray Benson after the remarks he made several years ago about Duane Allman and Dickey Betts. [/quote']

He's the Asleep at The Wheel guy isn't he? Excuse my ignorance but what did he say about Duane and Dickey?

Ray Benson is/was a prettty good guitarist from Asleep At The Wheel fame. He did an interview in Guitar Player magazine back a long, long time ago. (the mag was printed in black and white back then) I still have the issue. He pretty much said Duane and Dickey didn't impress him at all, and that the only thing that they could do was a double lead. What a tool.

Ray Benson is/was a prettty good guitarist from Asleep At The Wheel fame. He did an interview in Guitar Player magazine back a long' date=' long time ago. (the mag was printed in black and white back then) I still have the issue. He pretty much said Duane and Dickey didn't impress him at all, and that the only thing that they could do was a double lead. What a tool.[/quote']

Well those "double leads" are what got me into guitar playing and they hold up as some of my favorite guitar playing to this very day....so FU Ray Benson! That felt good!

I've believe you are forgetting one: Kurt Cobain.

I like him (the "i was a teenager then and now i can't get emotionaly detached from that" factor)' date=' but A LOT of guitarists hate him. they don't even consider him as a "guitar player"...[/quote']

I'm with you on that... to be fair, the guy wasn't a great guitarist, but a great songwriter, and frontman... He defined the 90's in a way the beatles did in the 60's..

Well' date=' Dylan was never considered much more than adequate, as a guitarist (even by his own admission), BUT...

Songwriter....Amazing!

CB[/quote']

I would have to throw Kristofferson in that group as well, Johnny Cash - oh no, do I see another one coming soon ?

OR "Lennon & McCartney" if the truth be told! Both were good guitarist...probably better than most realize.

In fact, Lennon was a damn good "rhythmer" (his term)...IMHO! And "Macca" is no slouch, either. Just not

commonly thought of as "Guitar Gods!" (Editorial Statement)...I always hated that WAY overused term, anyway!

CB

Kind of like the Benson thing, I read an interview with Duane Allman (a reprint, obviously) where Duane was ragging hard on Neil Young, saying stuff like 'he needs to stick to playing chords'. Whereas Neil is no Joe Satriani, by any means, he's got more 'soul' than 90% of the players out there. The original Cowgirl In The Sand is still one of my favorite guitar songs. (BTW, Danny Whitten's rhythm part on that song is one of the most tasteful I've ever heard in my life. Still gives me chills).

Kind of like the Benson thing' date=' I read an interview with Duane Allman (a reprint, obviously) where Duane was ragging hard on Neil Young, saying stuff like 'he needs to stick to playing chords'. Whereas Neil is no Joe Satriani, by any means, he's got more 'soul' than 90% of the players out there. The original Cowgirl In The Sand is still one of my favorite guitar songs. (BTW, Danny Whitten's rhythm part on that song is one of the most tasteful I've ever heard in my life. Still gives me chills).[/quote']

Oh man I don't know....I kinda side with Duane on that one....Neil Young's lead playing gives me chills but not the good kind...Sorry but I just ain't a fan of his. I know different strokes and all...but I gotta be honest.

Just re-watched the 30th Aniversary tribut to Bob Dylan (DVD), and there's (a couple) of songs that Neil Young does,

where he get's a bit "carried away" in the moment, much to the other player's amusement! So, he has

a good time, and "gets into it," still...seemingly. Can't be all bad.

CB

Oh man I don't know....I kinda side with Duane on that one....Neil Young's lead playing gives me chills but not the good kind...Sorry but I just ain't a fan of his. I know different strokes and all...but I gotta be honest.

Gotta say, I'm a fan, but never took him as a lead player by any means !

Gotta say' date=' I'm a fan, but never took him as a lead player by any means ![/quote']

I think he's a talented writer and I liked him in CSNY...but lead playing...not so much...maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff?? I'm game if anybody has some recommended tracks?

I can understand your point of view about Neil. I know other players who feel the same way about him. And I'll admit he's not particularly 'slick' or technically slick by any means but he does put more passion in his leads than most players.

And another thing I found out when I tried to do some of his songs: he's so damn unorthodox that it's actually quite hard for me do play his licks. He certainly doesn't seem to do anything 'by the book'. I mean, I've tried doing some songs 'note for note' & have played them in just about every 'position' commonly used by most of us and man, believe it or not, it's hard. He just doesn't seem to do things in a bizarre way. He must use some really fubar fingerings.

I can understand your point of view about Neil. I know other players who feel the same way about him. And I'll admit he's not particularly 'slick' or technically slick by any means but he does put more passion in his leads than most players.

And another thing I found out when I tried to do some of his songs: he's so damn unorthodox that it's actually quite hard for me do play his licks. He certainly doesn't seem to do anything 'by the book'. I mean' date=' I've tried doing some songs 'note for note' & have played them in just about every 'position' commonly used by most of us and man, believe it or not, it's hard. He just doesn't seem to do things in a bizarre way. He must use some really fubar fingerings.[/quote']

Now that I can understand...Zappa is ...sorry was very similar in that regard. Just listening vs watching him play it ...doesn't always come across. I'll try and be more aware of that...there's certainly more than one way to play these things!!

And another thing I found out when I tried to do some of his songs: he's so damn unorthodox that it's actually quite hard for me do play his licks. He certainly doesn't seem to do anything 'by the book'. I mean' date=' I've tried doing some songs 'note for note' & have played them in just about every 'position' commonly used by most of us and man, believe it or not, it's hard. He just doesn't seem to do things in a bizarre way. He must use some really fubar fingerings.[/quote']

"Fubar Fingerings!" I love that! IT's true, too! Neil definitely has his own style, but I too, am a fan!

Dylan's not everyone's cup of tea, either, but I'm a big fan of his, as well....

CB

Archived