Gibson Brands Forums

What famous guitar player do most guitarists love to hate??????????????

I suppose this could be viewed as a negative thread, but I mean it to be fun and quite frankly, I'm just curious.

I've been playing sax for many years, and there have always been famous sax players that the majority of sax players always hate. Most of us think we can play as well or better than they can are are jealous because they are famous and we are not.

In the old days it was Boots Randolph. If you listen to his albums, you will hear pure kitsch. It is simplistic and uninspiring. (What most sax players don't know is he was a great sax player, hearing his session work on other people's recordings or hearing him live at a jazz fest his talent was obvious and stunning).

For the past two decades it's been Kenny G. Just the mention of Kenny G on a sax forum will start a very long, mostly negative thread. I've heard Kenny is actually a good sax player but not on his signature recordings (I haven't had the opportunity to hear him live).

So I guess they are the ultimate sell-outs -- which I can't find fault with -- given the chance to make millions of dollars, I'd sell-out in a heartbeat (in fact, when I play the tired, war-horse songs for my audience, even though I enjoy it, I suppose I'm doing the same thing).

Vocalists have always had their "vocalists that singers love to hate" category, Fabian, Madonna, M.Jackson, Bob Dylan, Britney, etc., singers with no style or poor intonation -- famous singers without excellent vocal chops.

Basically what we are talking about is a famous person, revered by the public, that hundreds of musicians (including singers) in bar bands can put in their back pockets and how this applies to guitar players.

But since I've only been seriously applying myself to the guitar for a year (after many years of treating it as a toy), and I haven't been hanging around guitar forums very long, I wonder....

... Is there one or a few universally accepted very famous guitar players that the majority of the guitar community love to hate? Famous people that you think don't deserve their fame? A guitarist that is very famous with the general public but not that talented?

Just curious.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob - Interesting thread............. I'll really have to think on this for a minute. I imagine that it will turn into people's fav guitarist that they think is dissed by others - not that different. I'll get back to you later. Alot of fun stuff here lately !

Easy one for me Ying-yang ..(Yngwie) Malmsteen.....never have I seen a player so in love with himself' date='playing purely for himself.[/quote']

+2 - don't care for him at all, personally. I'm still thinking tho....

Generally I'd say the most famous guy. For being famous or other non-music related matters.

Good example is Yngwie Malmsteen - Innovative neo-classical shredgod to some. Pompeus *** hairmetal loudmouth to others.

Personally I like his playing, and don't care about the attitude. I only listen to the guy. The Steeler album is one of my priced possessions.

Malmsteen does it for me. Just don't like the attitude.

One other comes to mind. Steve Vai. I'm sure alot of people consider him to be a great guitar player. I know I could never recreate his audio acrobatics. I just don't like the attitude.

John Mayer has been the subject of a lot of dissing lately. While some of his pop material is truly heinous, and his penchant for self-promotion via dating tabloid starlets is cringeworthy, as a guitarist, the guy's got some chops.

With guitar, it's easier to think of players who don't get the recognition they deserve than those who are over-valued.

Oh wait, I've got one! Lenny Kravitz -- to me he's WAY overrated.

"Love to hate," because they're jealous of his REAL & NATURAL talent....Eric Clapton. I have never seen such stupid comments, made about a great player, as I have seen on OTHER forums, about Clapton. Personally, he's MY MAN! But, there are others' that either really can't stand him, OR...just like to get us, that love him, "riled!" It's totally OK, not to care for someone's style, etc. But, to get into name calling, "Lawn Pisser," being one, or "No-Blues Hack" another, about someone that's not only a great, great player, but dedicated to his craft, and who gives back, as much a Clapton is/does...that's just ludicrous!

So...."Flame Away!" LOL!

CB

Mr. layboomo,

Now that was great. (The google video)

Charlie B.

No argument here. Clapton is one of the greats. Maybe that is why I have a hard time thinking of the players I don't like. I just don't waste the time. I would rather listen and learn from the ones I do like.

"Hate" is a rather strong' date=' and probably not appropriate term, but the greatest guitarist for whom I never particularly cared is Stevie Ray Vaughan.[/quote']

Yeah, Stevie Ray, I liked a LOT....BUT, I always felt he was just so derivative of Hendrix!

Of course, that's not a BAD thing, necessarily...but I (personally) preferred Jimi...as being

the "original," that way. Again, just a personal opinion.

CB

Zakk gets a bad rap and for good reason IMO.

Yngwie although too much shred at times for me does possess some Very impressive skills and has kept pace with his debut playing quite well.

EVH is a easy target but I Think EVH half in the bag is better than 95% of everyone else honestly.

Yeah' date=' Stevie Ray, I liked a LOT....BUT, I always felt he was just so derivative of Hendrix!

Of course, that's not a BAD thing, necessarily...but I (personally) preferred Jimi...as being

the "original," that way. Again, just a personal opinion.

CB[/quote']

See, I liked SRV too, but I always felt he was derivative of Albert King (AND Hendrix, at times). That's my main problem with John Mayer, to my ears, he's too derivative of SRV, instrumentally and vocally. But I do like some of his stuff, as well.

I never got into shred metal, but I don't really hate any guitarists who play that style. I just don't care for them.

And the people who say that Jack White is one of the greatest guitarists living...well, that just makes me scratch my head in wonderment.

Notes--I can't stand Kenny G either, but I've heard him play the tenor sax, and he's much more palatable on that instrument. However, he is one guy I do despise, because of his electronically created "duet" with Louis Armstrong on "What a Wonderful World". Yuck.

Electronically created...LOL! Yeah, Natalie Cole, with Father Nat, was fun. But, after that...it seemed like other's

had to try their hand...Celine Dion with Frank Sinatra (All The Way)??? She has a "Thing" for older guys, alive or

dead, apparently. LOL!

CB

I know alot of guys who would say Jimmy Page. But' date=' I don't feel that way. Page is one of the reasons I started playing. He may be sloppy at times, but hey, that's Rock N"Roll.[/quote']

Yeah, I like Page, too. He seems to be "sloppy" more in "Live" performances....which might be

due to a variety of reasons. Adrenalin, herbal/chemical, or "nerves?" Kind of hard to think of Jimmy

being nerveous, but it happens...even to the best of them.

CB

"Love to hate' date='" because they're jealous of his REAL & NATURAL talent....Eric Clapton. I have never seen such stupid comments, made about a great player, as I have seen on OTHER forums, about Clapton. Personally, he's MY MAN! But, there are others' that either really can't stand him, OR...just like to get us, that love him, "riled!" It's totally OK, not to care for someone's style, etc. But, to get into name calling, "Lawn Pisser," being one, or "No-Blues Hack" another, about someone that's not only a great, great player, but dedicated to his craft, and who gives back, as much a Clapton is/does...that's just ludicrous!

So...."Flame Away!" LOL!

CB[/quote']

As you know, I am a HUGE Clapton fan as well and have never understood the negative comments about him and just wrote them off. I agree that it is one thing to not particularly care for someone's style of playing, but the name calling is just juvenile. As you continue to mention and nobody seems to pick up on is the ways Clapton gives back. The one i will mention is the Crossroads Center, particularly for me as I have been in recovery for 32 years.

I would much rather hear Jimi do Jimi anyday and think that SRV covers of Jimi's songs are simply that - covers. I do like Stevie's stuff in general alot though. I also loved the multi artist memorial CD/DVD done after his death. hosted by Jimmie Vaughn.

I guess the ones that come to mind for me have mostly been mentioned. Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen, Zak Wylde, john Mayer. This will be like painting a bullseye , but while I respect their ability, I don't personally care for their music or the images they project.

The other one that comes to mind for me that has not been mentioned, and never gets mentioned, is Prince. Again While I don't care for most of his music, he is actually a pretty fair guitarist, IMHO.

When I think of this topic, and all the discussions we have, I believe that we barely scratch the surface as to the reasons we like or dislike certain artists. When we listen to the people we love to listen to, we are also hearing bits of all the artists that have influenced them. Clapton -Buddy Guy, Freddie and Albert King, SRV - Hendrix, Ernie Isley, and so on.

I guess the same is true of the people we don't care for. Hate is not a word that makes much sense to me, If i don'r care for what I hear, I simply stop listening.

I imagine the converse thread needs to be done now for "Which guitarist do believe to be the most underrated ?"

yeah... my vote would go for Yngwie Malmsteen just because that guys just annoying. A close second would have to go with John Mayer simply because of his pretty boy image. I've seen him in concert twice and he's awesome live but his music is to soft for my tastes.

Oh yeah, And Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine. Don't get me wrong the guy wrote some great riffs, but all of those annoying D.J. like sound FX. Come on. I thought when AudioSlave came out that I might get a little solo action. Instead, I got the same old ticks and wheezes.

SIR, STEP AWAY FROM THE PEDAL BOARD, LET GO OF THE TOGGLE SWITCH, AND PUT YOUR HAND WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!

yeah... my vote would go for Yngwie Malmsteen just because that guys just annoying. A close second would have to go with John Mayer simply because of his pretty boy image. I've seen him in concert twice and he's awesome live but his music is to soft for my tastes.

Johh Mayer is a good player, and can't really help the way he looks. BUT, IMHO...he's so full of himself, that I can't

stand to watch the guy! If I can just listen to what he plays, without seeing him, it's cool.

But anytime I see him, usually on TV, I just want to put my fist, through the screen!

So, in the interest of my own safety, and not having to by a new TV, I just turn it off,

or don't watch, to begin with. LOL!

CB

Archived