Gibson Brands Forums

EPI FACTORY 2NDS ON EBAY W T F ?

HAS ANYONE SPOTTED OR EVEN BOUGHT A FACORY SECOND EPI FROM EBAY AND IF SO DOESNT THIS KINDA DEGRADE THE GOOD NAME EPIPHONE HAVE BUILT UP OVER A CENTURY ? IVE SEEN SLASH MODELS GOING FOR $650 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS INCLUDING ALL PAPERWORK AN THE SIGNED CASE SO WHATS THE GO..IF ITS NOT A REVUP AND IS FOUND TO BE LEGIT WE ARE PAYING WAY TOO MUCH ON RETAIL..BTW WHEN HE STATES FACTORY 2ND THERES NO MENTION OF DAMAGE SO IT MAKES ME WONDER JUST WHAT DAMAGE IS CONSIDERED BY EPI TO WARRANT A 2ND.HOPE TO HEAR REPLIES

CHEERS

W W

Epiphone reps explained on the old forum that the factories do not ship out any 2nds. They are stamped 2nd by the US inspection team... or that's how I remember it, I have to dig the old thread out of the archives some day..

I bought a 2nd, not on Ebay. I got it from MF. I got a Dot for $249. It has some very minor cosmetic blemishes. I'd take a chance on another 2nd too, but not from Ebay. By the time you pay shipping charges you could by a new Epi. Also, when you by them from a legitimate dealer like MF or whatever, they give you 30-45 days to check it out. If you're not happy, just send it back. Below is an example of sending something back, but not a 2nd.

I just recently bought a new '56 GT and an Epi hardshell case from Sweetwater. The GT is absoulutely beautiful, and a great playing instrument, but the case smelled something aweful. I sent the case back and Sweetwater sent me another one. This one smelled too, and the it was warped. Well, I sent it back. They paid for the shipping on both cases. I have on on order at my local guitar shop now.

THERE ARE A LOT OF .. oops...there are a lot of Epiphones out there with "2nd" stamped on the headstock. I have seen them on Ebay, and I assumed that they are also the guitars falling into the MF and M123 "Outlet" stores. I think if there is an atrocious problem, they don't get to the point that the hardware is attached to them.

I have seen other guitar companies come out with real dogs that aren't stamped "2nd". I bought a Regal Dobro (Korea). It looks like they dipped the entire guitar into a vat of polyester finish. It is pooled between the top of the guitar and the sides of the fretboard. That's the same reso that had a bridge with a huge gap between strings 3 and 4. When I first looked at it, I thought a string was missing. Nope, just terrible workmanship.

2nds are basically guitars that don't pass inspection, usually for a minor problem like a finish flaw. I've seen 2nds where you couldn't find anything wrong with them, and I've seen first quality items where you shake your head and wonder how it ever got out of the factory in that condition. Go figure!!!

A 2nd should not have a problem that affects playability, and I believe they carry the full warranty IF purchased from a legit dealer. OTH, a guitar marked USED is a guitar deemed not fit to sell. It could be a return with a problem, a guitar damaged in shipping, anything. It could be anything from a bad pickup to a cracked headstock. AFAIK, the factory sells them to jobbers who repair them and sell them often without the original parts. The original serial #s are removed and there's no warranty. Although I've had good luck with USED Epiphones, you got to be careful. And don't pay more than half the street price of a new one.

No language classes here hopefully, as long as it's not too difficult to decode the scribble..

Atomheart, kielestä riippumatta on ihan fiksua opetella kirjoittamaan omaa äidinkieltään jos aikoo roikkua foorumeilla.

Sitähän nämä englanninkieliset eivät tunnetusti aina osaa joten ojennus on joskus paikallaan.

No language classes here hopefully' date=' as long as it's not too difficult to decode the scribble..

Atomheart, kielestä riippumatta on ihan fiksua opetella kirjoittamaan omaa äidinkieltään jos aikoo roikkua foorumeilla.

Sitähän nämä englanninkieliset eivät tunnetusti aina osaa joten ojennus on joskus paikallaan.

[/quote']

Ich bin weit davon entfernt, es zu glauben...können nicht...sprechen englisch bitte.... Was zum Teufel?........J

No language classes here hopefully' date=' as long as it's not too difficult to decode the scribble..

[/quote']

Je comprend pas tout ce que vous dites, mais je trouve que ce forum deviens une tour de babel...lollll

lol

That was a piece of "second rate Finnish" for you :-({|= Let's stick to the boring English, although I agree we do have quite a Babylon (located in present-day Iraq, by the way) and confusion of languages here - even without the tower ..

Archived