Gibson Brands Forums

sweet coronet

jefleppard

You know, Epiphone offered a Coronet re-issue back in their 1999 catalog, with OBL humbucker (bridge) and single coil (neck) pickups. I figure sales were lackluster.

19650.jpg

Personally, I've always found the Coronet to be butt-ugly. The body shape is boring, uninspired and completely without character and something about the pickguard just makes me want to hurl.

Spud,

I'm with you. I always thought the pickguard was ugly as well. In fact, I think most of it is , as you put it,"butt ugly."

Looks cheap and not beautiful in any way.

I wasn't going to say anything, because I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Heck, it's mostly a matter of opinion, although sometimes there are definite design faux pas that cannot be ignored. One example would be the original symmetrical design on the Epi solidbodies; they tended to look as though the lower bout was actually longer than the upper. It's one of those perception things; eventually they realized their mistake and went to the asymmetrical body shape.

Nonetheless I would think all opinions are welcome, even those in conflict with someone, or everyone, else's.

LOL! Well, I'll probably get "Flamed," but...Coronets don't bother me, one way or the other, nearly as much as Reverse Flying V's (???), Explorers (looks like a lost puzzle piece) and Firebirds (curvy boat oar). But, they are still "iconic" designs, and popular, regardless. So..."to each his/her own!"

CB

<...> Reverse Flying V's (???)<...>

CB

That is one I don't like although the regular V is fine.

And looking in the catalog at those Dean things doesn't make me want to play guitar.

But as you put it, it is entirely a matter of taste.

I like the strat, don't really like the tele. Don't care for the Coronet, like the G-400. Don't like the Parker Fly, do like the Parker Hornet. But then there is something about the Dan-o and those ugly 1960s Italian jobs with more switches and knobs than anyone could know what to do with that I like (so ugly they are cute???).

I'm not into the skull and goth thing either.

Fortunately there are a number of different designs for different personal tastes.

Notes

awesome to see loads of opinions. i love the "boat oar" , puzzle piece" and the "so ugly its cute" comments. my girlfriend say my firebird looks like a Dali misstep. i think that's why i love the coronet (and the firebird). its like taking in a stray cat.

Don't get me wrong. My friend Brian got in a '61 Wilshire for a fret job and it was an incredible guitar in terms of the workmanship and feel; a perfect example of early sixties Gibson craftsmanship. Plus with two P-90s I'm sure it could rip your ears off. However it's still a goofy looking guitar compared to, say, a Doublecut or an SG. If Epiphone wants to sell me another axe, they'll produce a Special DC or a (real) SG Special. Last year when the LE Les Paul Specials with two P-90s became available I couldn't get one fast enough. A Coronet reissue won't even get my wallet out of my pants.

But that's just me.

Don`t know what the Coronet was new. But my brother had a 1961 white Wilshire. He paid $200.00 for it around

1985. He was really a bass player, but that was his favorite guitar. I inherited it when he passed away. I tried to turn it around lefty, but the guitar kept going off by my arm hitting the volume knob. I also didn`t like the mini-humbucker pick up sound. Too clean for me. I eventually sold it for $400.00.

The Coronet has a DiMarzio SD pick up. And a JB Player locking tremelo system. The sticker is a DC band named The Slickee Boys. Well known legends in the DC area.

I kept the P-90 pick up in a drawer forever, til I sold it on e-Bay for $150.00.

I think Epiphone should bring back the Coronet. Also the Olympic.

1965olympic.jpg

Archived