Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra II quilt top

I have purchased an Ultra II in Cherry (quilt top). The sounds are awesome with the nanomag acoustic pickup. I have heard since, that the tops are silk-screened and not real quilt maple. Is there any truth to this? Mine looks great and I can't tell if it is real or not. Any anwsers would be appreciated.

[quote name=bluesman

I have heard since' date=' that the tops are silk-screened and not real quilt maple.

[/quote]

Believe me, you would know if it was silkscreened. It would be like looking at a picture. Hold it up close, and you will be able to differentiate between the little inkdots.

1/16" veneer for ALL the maple cap' date=' I believe.

So the quilt is most likely a 1/64" layer of that on top.

Then under that's alder, then mahogany.[/quote']

No. the veneer used wil be either plain maple, flame maple, quilted maple, or birdseye maple. They do not do multiple layers. Even the Studios and the black Les Pauls have a layer of plain maple.

Under that, is 'mahogany'. They haven't been using alder much lately although you might still find the occasional alder cap. By gluing a veneer of maple, whatever flavour, on the 'mahogany' or alder, it becomes a 'maple cap'. Technically.

So it's real quilted maple. It's just very thin.

I don’t know how many of you are aware of what is known in the millwork industry as an “engineered veneer”, but at the risk of starting a debate, let me tell you what I know. Engineered veneer has been around at least since the late ‘70’s and probably a lot longer, it was first available in Canada from Italian suppliers but not so recently almost all of it comes from China.

It’s made to look like all types of different woods, one of the first available and still very popular are fake birds-eye and figured maple. Basically the figure or birds eyes are made by compressing the material, these veneers come impregnated with a base colour or in the natural tone of the wood fibers that make them up.

I’m reasonably certain that Epiphone has used it on the Prophecy line, it’s pretty easy to spot, however Prophecy is the only line I can see where they use it... Anyhow, this may explain some of what has been said by people regarding the origin of the top veneer on some models, here’s a link to a page from our Canadian supplier, a little work on google and you’ll see for yourself. - http://www.hardwoods-inc.com/Products/echoWood.cfm

Wow, who woulda thunk??? That's ok though, engineered or not, I still think 'ol blue wears thet thar quilty lookin top rather nicely, and you're right Spud, that pickguard jis don't cut it on that guitar, now that it's been off for a while, it does rather clash with the cream colored everything else, I just never noticed before, what the hell I'd do without you I dunno...

No. the veneer used wil be either plain maple' date=' flame maple, quilted maple, or birdseye maple. They do not do multiple layers. Even the Studios and the black Les Pauls have a layer of plain maple.

Under that, is 'mahogany'. They haven't been using alder much lately although you might still find the occasional alder cap. By gluing a veneer of maple, whatever flavour, on the 'mahogany' or alder, it becomes a 'maple cap'. Technically.

So it's real quilted maple. It's just very thin.[/quote']

I know that some les paul customs even ahve an alder cap on mahogany without any maple.

But I think what I sad is right, seeing as they can use as many pieces of maple as they want and still have a full maple cap, with quilt maple overtop for looks.

Before everyone starts thinking that I’m saying all Epi veneer tops are fake' date=' I’ve only noticed that the Prophecy line use this material!!![/quote']

Rondo Music always points out that their guitar tops are actual wood and not photos of wood. Are there actually guitars out there with a layer that is not a veneer but a photograph of wood? That would really take the cake for me.

Rondo Music always points out that their guitar tops are actual wood and not photos of wood. Are there actually guitars out there with a layer that is not a veneer but a photograph of wood? That would really take the cake for me.

Any guitar under 150 bucks, and showing a nice quilted top or whatever, would pretty much be ...a picture, albeit no pretty one.

I don’t know how many of you are aware of what is known in the millwork industry as an “engineered veneer”' date=' but at the risk of starting a debate, let me tell you what I know. Engineered veneer has been around at least since the late ‘70’s and probably a lot longer, it was first available in Canada from Italian suppliers but not so recently almost all of it comes from China.

It’s made to look like all types of different woods, one of the first available and still very popular are fake birds-eye and figured maple. Basically the figure or birds eyes are made by compressing the material, these veneers come impregnated with a base colour or in the natural tone of the wood fibers that make them up.

I’m reasonably certain that Epiphone has used it on the Prophecy line, it’s pretty easy to spot, however Prophecy is the only line I can see where they use it... Anyhow, this may explain some of what has been said by people regarding the origin of the top veneer on some models, here’s a link to a page from our Canadian supplier, a little work on google and you’ll see for yourself. - http://www.hardwoods-inc.com/Products/echoWood.cfm[/quote']

Hi James,

The veneer we are using on the Prophecy line is Quilt Maple. It's the real deal. There are other guitar makers using it as well such as on the ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 and the Schecter Hellraiser C-1.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=518451

And while I hate to steer you to retail sites showing other brands, to say it's "fake" would imply that ALL these Quilt Maple tops are fake. I am very familiar with "engineered veneer" and this is not that.

Thank you,

Epiphone

Actually, Fender came out with a Japanese series of guitars with what they called a 'photoflame' finish. Basically a printed photo of a flame maple top glued on the tops of their guitars. Pretty cheesy.

Archived