Gibson Brands Forums

What was your first guitar and Epiphone?

LaRouteDu

The first guitar I ever played on was a Cort strat copy of some sort that I borrowed from a friend. I also had another friend let me borrow his BC Rich doodad and after about a year or so my father saw that I was serious and I intended on playing the guitar forever. He decided it was time for me to have my own and for my birthday I received the guitar of my dreams. All of my guitar idols played one. SRV, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Hendrix ,Robert Cray et.al. That's right it was November of 1990 and I was 15 years old and I had my first guitar that was all mine! A Fender Stratocaster Plus! My own Blackie! I still own and cherish that guitar till this day. My first Epiphone was a Sheraton II that I bought in the late 90's because I was too poor to buy my dream guitar at the time. An ES335. That Sheraton has been sold for some years now. See pic below:

stratfront-1.jpg?t=1214493794

oldsheraton2.jpg?t=1214494049

rearhead.jpg?t=1214494079

I bought my first guitar in 1971 or so from a buddy for $10. I always thought it was a Teisco but now I'm pretty sure it was some kind of Guyatone model. Nondescript sort-of-Strat look with two single coils and a huge six-on-a-side headstock. Chrome steel pickguard. Not sure but I think the neck was not original... it didn't really match the body.

teisco11.jpg

The guitar looked a lot like the bottom one in this pic (with more rounded cutaways) but the neck had the same fret markers as the one on the top' date=' but with a black headstock.

My first Epi was a '94 Samick LP Classic Birdseye in amber.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/Les Paul.jpg[/img]

Doesn't look like it was probably a Tiesco to me Spud. My first was a tiesco and I've bought several to repair and re-sell through the years and while they made a ton of different looking models, it does't look quite like any I've seen.

My first guitar was some Sears Silvertone acoustic guitar ($25.00) my mother bought for me in 1967 to take lessons

on. It was tough to play but I stuck it out until I got an electric guitar. Once I plugged that in, the lessons stopped.

My mother was not about to fuel my rock 'n' roll ambitions.](*,) The rest is history. My first Epiphone is my beloved Sheraton II which I bought in 2006.

my VERY 1st guitar was a cheapo 3/4 acoustic b/c my parents werent sure i was serious. dont remember the brand but it was sunburst and couldnt hold tune at all.

my first REAL guitar was a gift from a friend of the family: a 1977 Alvarez acoustic that i just sold on ebay a few months ago for quite a lot of $$. i never really much liked that guitar but i sure played the hell out of it.

along the way i've owned a bunch of other stuff: a peavy patriot 3/4 electric, an ibanez electric, a peavy patriot bass ( that i still play)...others

my 1st epiphone is my most recent buy: the 1966 G-400 heritage cherry, which i freakin' love.

My first guitar was some Sears Silvertone acoustic guitar ($25.00) my mother bought for me in 1967 to take lessons

on. It was tough to play but I stuck it out until I got an electric guitar. Once I plugged that in, the lessons stopped.

My mother was not about to fuel my rock 'n' roll ambitions.](*,) The rest is history. My first Epiphone is my beloved Sheraton II which I bought in 2006.

My first electric guitar worth playing was an Ampeg Stud II, SG boltneck copy, played through a 200 watt Peavey Bass Stack I bought off this guy lived next door to us when I was a kid for like 200 bucks, or something like that. That was right about the time I got my MXR Distortion +...still got it too, the MXR that is.

Doesn't look like it was probably a Tiesco to me Spud. My first was a tiesco and I've bought several to repair and re-sell through the years and while they made a ton of different looking models' date=' it does't look quite like any I've seen.[/quote']

That's what I said. Guyatone. :D

I've only been playing since the beginning of this year, my first guitar was an Epi LP Special 2 from a starter pack =D>

I've since upgraded to an 89 Epi LP Standard. I also got a cheap Squier Affinity Strat to screw around on, but that's just a beater. The LP Std is my #1.

My first guitar was a Harmony H-76 that I got from a pawn shop back in 1965 for $100. Nice guitar. Traded it and a little cash for a '63 or '64 Strat, also in '65. Wouldn't mind having either one back.

My first Epiphone was a Del Rey that I am getting ready to sell.

I grew up playing my dad's Hopf Telstar, but that wasn't "my" guitar. My first guitar was some Asian Strat-ish guitar that was given to me either for Chrstmas or for a birthday around 1974-5. It was an awful guitar. I do not know/can't remember whatever became of it.

The first guitar I bought was an early Kramer Baretta. Not long after owning it, I decided that I hated Floyd Rose trems. I traded that in for an early Fender Jeff Back Strat. After owning that for about 6 or 8 months, I traded that in on a Fender Clapton Strat (Blackie). I had that for quite a while. This was all about 30 guitars ago...

My first Epiphone is the Sheraton I have. Man, do i LOVE that guitar! If times ever got REAL bad and I had to sell all my guitars except ONE, I'd be very torn between my Sherry and a very nice Strat I have.

Archived