Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Recommendations

old rock

I have two broken tuners on an EPI LP JR. I cannot find Epi replacement tuners so I would like replacement recomendations. I suppose Gibson or Grovers but don't have a model number. I don't mind enlarging the holes or making new holes for screws. Got any ideas?

I put Grover Vintage Green Keystones in my '57 Jr. RI. If you have the $100 Jr. and want to save a few bucks check out GFS tuners. I just put a set of their Vintage Greens in a G-400. I needed to get the larger set of bushing with them. The bushings that come with the tuners are 8 mm which may work with your guitar, I dunno. They are only $23.

I put some regular Grover "Rotomatics" on my Faded (TV Yellow) LP double cutaway...

and it not only helped tuning, but the added weight, seems to have increased

the sustain, too. (Might be "wishful thinking," but it sure seems like it, to me!)

I just plugged the extra hole left at the top of each turner (from the originals ones),

and dabbed a little matching yellow paint, and it looks "factory!" Oh, I didn't have

to enlarge the holes for the posts, at all. But, it was fitted with Gibson tuners w/

sleeved screw-in bushings, originally, so I don't know if your situation would be the

same, or not?

CB

If I were you, I'd try to NOT ream out the peghead holes. I have no idea what size yours is now, so what you shoud do is measure them both in fractions of an inch AND in millimeters so that you can know that the tuner you get will work. Some sellers use inches, and some use millimeters. If you have both on hand, then you'll know right off without having to go remeasure. There are 2 main sizes that most tuners adhere to: 11/32" for "vintage"style (like Klusons) & 13/32" for Grovers and most other modern styles.

Does your Epi LP have the white, oval tuning buttons? 3-on-a plate or 3 individuals-on-a-side?

Thanks to all for the information on the tuner replacement. It's good to see some very good options.

frpax "Does your Epi LP have the white, oval tuning buttons? 3-on-a plate or 3 individuals-on-a-side?"

The (6) original tuners (3 individuals-on-a-side) are "no-name" chrome colored with 2 screw holes each. I assume the tuner knobs are plastic.

Are they the tuners with the odd pyramid-type shaped back? I just took a set of those off my Jr. 5 are good, one is crooked. The holes are pretty fricking tiny, I had to drill them out to install my other Epi tuners from my LP. Must have changed sizes between 1995 and 2007 at some point. Unless they made smaller ones specifically for the "Junior"? /shrug

Does your Epi LP have the white' date=' oval tuning buttons? 3-on-a plate or 3 individuals-on-a-side?[/quote']

Umm.. frpax.. what particular brand of reality are you subscribing to? Epi LP Jrs were not made in the fifties.

Umm.. frpax.. what particular brand of reality are you subscribing to? Epi LP Jrs were not made in the fifties.

I guess I'm not following you. I'm simply asking what type of tuners he has on his guitar. I do believe he specified an Epi LP Jr.

I have two broken tuners on an EPI LP JR. I cannot find Epi replacement tuners so I would like replacement recomendations. I suppose Gibson or Grovers but don't have a model number. I don't mind enlarging the holes or making new holes for screws. Got any ideas?

Yep, that's what he said.

Now, I'm certainly not an Epiphone expert, as you "appear" to be...

I'm just trying to help the guy... I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do... :-k

Back then I think the similar model was called Melodymaker. A '57 would be worth a few bucks.

He's probably thinking of a Melodymaker. ??

Epi Jrs were not made in the 50s/60s, but Gibson did have a LP Junior

as early as their 1960 catalog alongside the Melody Maker (sunburst).

It was available in cherry red ($132).

Source: 1960 Catalog in book; Gibson Guitars (Ted McCarty's Golden Era)

Archived