Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire?

JefferySmith

I found this on Amazon.com (to be sold via MF' date=' but not listed on MF).

[img']http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31v03ShTKCL._SS500_.jpg[/img]

Is it a decent guitar, or a novelty from the past?

There is one in the pawn shop close to me Jeff, they want $400 for it. I offered them $200 to see what they would do and they wouldn't bite so I walked. I had one years ago, I liked it but not well enough to keep. Reminds me a little of the Fender Toranado with a bizzare headstock. Wasn't real fond of those either. nothing really wrong with them tho....Just didn't get excited about it.

It's kind of weird....but I actually like these! And, the Gretsch Corvette, too!

Something different, you know? I did notice, like you...that MF ISN'T stocking them

(yet, anyway)! What's up, with that? Epiphone promoted them, at NAMM...even

had one of their "guest artists" using one.

????

CB

There is one in the pawn shop close to me Jeff' date=' they want $400 for it. I offered them $200 to see what they would do and they wouldn't bite so I walked. I had one years ago, I liked it but not well enough to keep. Reminds me a little of the Fender Toranado with a bizzare headstock. Wasn't real fond of those either. nothing really wrong with them tho....Just didn't get excited about it.[/quote']

Hey, tell them that you can get it new cheaper than that!

I like this and the Vette also Charlie.. I have a shot at a Vette with bigsby for $450 new with a small chip in the body(chip as in damage)

COOL! But, before you do that, call or E-mail E.M. Shorts, in Wichita (KS)...they might be able to

get you a brand new one, for close to that?! Not sure...but, it's worth a try. And, NO...I don't work

for them...LOL! But, they've consistantly bettered the price, on most everything I've thrown at them,

and I have purchased several guitars, there, over the years. Ask for Drew!

If you get the one you're already looking at, the "chip" should be easily fixed with Nail polish, both

color and then a clear over it. I did that, recently, with a chip on the headstock of my Rick 12-string...

can't even tell it was there, now.

Cheers,

CB

Is it a decent guitar' date=' or a novelty from the past?[/quote']

Well, since it's a modernized reissue, it's really neither. It'd be a lot more interesting if it had the mini-humbuckers. As it stands, it's basically a very ugly G-400. IMO.

And it's way uglier than a Telecaster.

tele3.jpg

I have to admit that I think it looks better than a Telecaster (what looks worse than a Telecaster?). <...>

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Telecaster is an ugly guitar ;)

While I like the looks of the Strat, the Tele just looks "clunky" to me.

Of course, they sound OK, and that's the most important thing.

Notes

I found this on Amazon.com (to be sold via MF' date=' but not listed on MF).

[img']http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31v03ShTKCL._SS500_.jpg[/img]

Is it a decent guitar, or a novelty from the past?

This is a very decent guitar IMO. I just bougtht one a month or so back in red mahogany and outfitted it with '57 classics. It plays very well and sounds wonderful. $400 is too much though. I bought mine at Gibson Showcase for $249.

I also added a Bigsby B5.

The headstock is called a "batwing". I think they look pretty cool and have a bit of a retro look. They do sound a lot like an SG. The one I bought had G400 pups in it.

Did the Wilshire come with a bound fingerboard' date=' and a wide "paddle" headstock, at one time?!

Or, what am I thinking of?! (For all you "Karnack's," out there.) "Crestwood," maybe?

CB[/quote']

Wilshire was the plain model, Crestwoods had neck binding and fancy inlays. The original late 50s models had symmetrical bodies and 3 + 3 headstock, the batwing headstock was introduced around 1963. Although later Crestwoods & Wilshires both had mini-humbuckers, the original Crestwoods had Epiphone NY pickups and the original Wilshire had P-90s.

Coronets had one dog-eared P-90 (earliest ones had one NY pickup), Olympics had one or two Melody Maker single coils. Original Olympic was single cutaway like a Melody Maker, available in 3/4 size.

Hope that helps.

l_ffd1cf7eca6bb5ebccb251023be17065.jpg

1965 Olympic with P-90s

• 1 year later...

The local shop where I just bought my LP Ltd. has a couple of Wilshire's. These are brand new guitars, and in the much harder to find Cherry finish. I know they're not 400 bucks either. Probably more like $350. If anyone is interested, it's not a problem for me to get you the exact info. Just leave something here or PM me.

Faded...

Epi-Wilshire-Cherry.jpg

Archived