Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone needs to redo the G-400...

superjudge3

The G-400 would be an even better guitar if it had neck binding, the correct knob positions (the LPs have the knobs going in the right direction, why not the G-400)?

These two changes would make the G-400 the perfect '62 re-issue that they say its supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my G-400, but it would be great to have binding and the correct knob positioning.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was going to say that. The SG Junior I have has a more correct body than my G-400!

So:

1. Change knob placement

2. Add neck binding

3. Have correct beveling, 100% like the Gibson

THEN you can say that it is a Gibson authorized version of the '62 Re-issue and it would be the prefect Epiphone version/compliment for the Gibson '61 re-issue!

The G-400 would be an even better guitar if it had neck binding' date=' the correct knob positions (the LPs have the knobs going in the right direction, why not the G-400)?

These two changes would make the G-400 the perfect '62 re-issue that they say its supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my G-400, but it would be great to have binding and the correct knob positioning. [/quote']

I have an EE '06 ebony G400. It has neck binding. And recently many of us on here discovered that the EEs all seem to (wood binding). My knobs are also pretty darn close to the Gibson as well.

Where was yours made?

I have an EE '06 ebony G400. It has neck binding. And recently many of us on here discovered that the EEs all seem to (wood binding). My knobs are also pretty darn close to the Gibson as well.

Where was yours made?

You're joking right? I have NEVER seen a G-400 with neck binding, no matter where it was made; period! Except for the Vintage that is.

Also, ALL G-400s have the same in-correct positioning of the knobs, going forward and not backward.

Can I see a picture?

And mine is a 2001 made in Unsung.

You're joking right? I have NEVER seen a G-400 with neck binding' date=' no matter where it was made; period! Except for the Vintage that is.

Can I see a picture?

And mine is a 2001 made in Unsung.[/quote']

Just last week, Spud (Rotcanx) showed multiple pics of said neck, from a cherry and ebony EE G400.

Both had wood binding. Several members chimed in to say they discovered it on there G400.

Spud, show the pics again.

And no, it's no joke. I had mine for almost 2 years and never noticed the binding until Spud noticed it. Heck Spud, who is the resident SG expert on this site, hadn't noticed it either until then.

I have what appears to be rosewood (or some other wood) binding on the neck of mine.

No joke my friend. I'm guessing the Unsungs don't. Or maybe not that year.

But all the EEs seem to.

I'm sorry, but how did you not see that you had neck-binding? That's rather obvious thing.

And now I'm confused as hell. I've just never seen one with binding. I've seen hundreds of them!

I'm talking about full binding, same binding that you see on a LP Standard Epiphone neck.

This is neck binding! In a G-400 vintage:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8524/sgtq0.jpg

That is completely different than what I'm talking about. I'm saying that the G-400 needs to have cream binging like the Gibson SGs.

My guitar has the wood "binding" as your does. I thought you were talking about full cream binding! All you had to say was: "My G-400 has wood instead of white binding", then I would have understood.

We're all talking about different things here! That's why I couldn't believe you didn't see it! LOL

Sorry, never mind...

The Gibson SG has cream binding so the G-400 should too, that's what I'm saying dude. Sorry!

My guitar has the wood "binding" as your does. I thought you were talking about full cream binding! All you had to say was: "My G-400 has wood instead of white binding", then I would have understood.

That's why I couldn't believe you didn't see it! LOL

Sorry, never mind...

The Gibson SG has cream binding so the G-400 should too, that's what I'm saying dude. Sorry!

Mine looks like it has the correct knob placement. And I would love for them to have white binding' date=' instead of a wooden one.[/quote']

Yeah, that's one of the things we discussed. If your going to put neck binding on, why not make it so it is noticed?

What they need to do is make the G400 that Jeff and CB here have bought from Japan. It has all the correct everything and nitro finish.

Make the MIC/MIK plants make that put in cheaper PUs (I can change them) their cheaper wood (I'll live with it) poly finish (doesn't get sticky) and slap Epiphone on the correct headstock (fine by me).

On second thought I think I'll just save and get a MIJ one too and sell off my G400s. Thank you Epiphone of Japan for doing it right in the first place!

My guitar has the wood "binding" as your does. I thought you were talking about full cream binding! All you had to say was: "My G-400 has wood instead of white binding"' date=' then I would have understood.

That's why I couldn't believe you didn't see it! LOL

Sorry, never mind...

The Gibson SG has cream binding so the G-400 should too, that's what I'm saying dude. Sorry![/quote']

No apology needed.

Glad we all understand each other now.

=D>

What they need to do is make the G400 that Jeff and CB here have bought from Japan. It has all the correct everything and nitro finish.

Make the MIC/MIK plants make that put in cheaper PUs (I can change them) their cheaper wood (I'll live with it) poly finish (doesn't get sticky) and slap Epiphone on the correct headstock (fine by me).

On second thought I think I'll just save and get a MIJ one too and sell off my G400s. Thank you Epiphone of Japan for doing it right in the first place!

The Elitists don't use nitro finishes. As quoted from MF:

"The Elite series instruments are made with premium woods fitted with American pickups and circuitry - even American-made toggle switches and Grover tuners. All they lack are the nitrocellulose finishes of their Gibson counterparts."

I think they use poly finishes.

The Elitists don't use nitro finishes. As quoted from MF:

"The Elite series instruments are made with premium woods fitted with American pickups and circuitry - even American-made toggle switches and Grover tuners. All they lack are the nitrocellulose finishes of their Gibson counterparts."

I think they use poly finishes.

These are not Elitists, which have the wrong headstock anyway, but stock MIJ Epiphones for the Japanese market. Look for the posting from Jeffery Smith with the photos. I'm sure he said it has a nitro finish. Made in the same factory as the Elitists are/were.

Like I said: Thank you Epiphone of Japan for doing it right the first time.

Mine looks like it has the correct knob placement. And I would love for them to have white binding' date=' instead of a wooden one.[/quote']

Not really. Although they did a better job of getting the knobs in the correct rhomboid pattern, they and the jack are still too far from the edge of the guitar. Close... but no cigar.

While we're picking the G-400 apart, let's not forget the completely incorrect electronics cavity cover (way too big for a '62 and the wrong shape for any SG) and the missing bevel on the back of the heel. Also the body is too thick (I think they do this because they are using a straight selector switch instead of the correct 90-degree switch. And technically the hardware should be nickel-plated; Gibson didn't switch to chrome until 1965.

65SGcavity.jpg

Ha Ha Ha.

LOL.

You want a real SG go and buy a Gibson!

Rotcan X has shown me enough and I am a believer.

Epiphone SG is what it is, a '61 style body with a hope you'll never know there was an improved neck joint.

Bevelling? It's hard enough for them to cut the horns right, I've seen knots that weren't sanded down properly, making me wonder could they even properly bevel the upper edges if the wood is all full of knots and uneven hard spots?

You're joking right? I have NEVER seen a G-400 with neck binding' date=' no matter where it was made; period! Except for the Vintage that is.

Also, ALL G-400s have the same in-correct positioning of the knobs, going forward and not backward.

Can I see a picture?

And mine is a 2001 made in Unsung.[/quote']

This is the wood binding they are referring to. My EE04 G400 (ebony)

G400Fretboard2.jpg

Archived