Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Guard Removal

Roswell

I took mine off because I didn't like the look of "plastic." I haven't looked for a custom replacement or anything; if I found something that looked cool I might put it on. Otherwise I just like the look without it on. Also, I don't go after it hard enough to worry about damage to the finish.

The pickguard on the dot is butt ugly' date=' kill it.[/quote']

That's because it's an 'Epiphone' pickguard. It needs to be replaced with a proper 'ES-335' pickguard:

dot490498.jpg

...if I was playing my ES-335 all the time I'd probably think about removing the guard. However my Elitist LP somehow just looks more like a Les Paul to me with the guard on.

eliteLP1.jpg

I think part of the reason regular Epi LPs look better without the guard is that for some reason they come with really thick plastic guards, with a bevelled edge, that don't really look like a true LP PG.

My thoughts are:

This question comes up about every 3 months or so.

I like the pg on because I like to rest my pinky finger on it. So I don't even think about it coming off.

I think you should do what YOU want to do and not worry about what others think.

Good answer, Brad .... it is indeed an individual choice..... I have a honeyburst LP, absolutely LOVE the look guard-less, but love the "feel" of playing it moreso with the guard on, for your very same reason.... seems a big "drop" to rest one's finger w/o the guard - I suppose you'get used to it, but........ Mrs. Fuelish prefers the look of it on (and I agree it looks more "classic LP") ..... mine's usually on, more for function than for aesthetics....but, yes...to the OP - it's up to you - try it both ways for a while and decide which feels best (or what looks best, if you choose looks over comfort...or maybe your favorite look and the best feel are one and the same...or...nevermind....margarita friday started a lil early today=d>

For now I've left my pickguards on. I dunno...it's just part of the asthetic (especially on my black LP custom). I also tend to strum aggressively, so it's nice to have it there. (And yeah, the guitar sort of looks naked w/o it. Maybe it's one too many views of those old Led Zeppelin clips that's warped my brain....who knows...)

But a lot of this is personal choice. I may pull the one off my flame top, but for now, it's not exactly hurting anything by being on there....

EDIT: Roswell, yours does look better w the pickguard off. Maybe it's that big "E", but for whatever reason...yeah, it looks better.

Archived