Gibson Brands Forums

SG vs. Les Paul

jjb1rjb

I have one of those Japanese Epiphone SG's, which I think are a reissue of the 61 spec. The neck is pretty wide, but feels great. I had a LP a few years ago with a 60s neck, and it was much thinner. So, like Sentry says, it depends on the model and year.

If you are buying one, get both just to be sure :-)

I have a Jackson that has a pretty flat neck and I like the feel of it, but my son has a Les Paul that is more of a round neck. I love the looks of an SG, but am wondering if it is more flat or round.

Any other brands with a Jackson style of neck (Flat)?

Thanks

How about an SG that is a les paul? My SG custom is the best of both worlds. Seeing that it says Les Paul Custom twice on the guitar I think it's a Les Paul, but with great access to all the frets. It also has a little thicker neck so you don't get SG neck wobble and its a beautiful bound neck, some thing the G 400 lacks. I don't think these great guitars get near enough respect, so come on people get on board. Stan.

If you compare Gibson (or probably Epiphone) current Standard models, the neck profile of the Les Paul should be thicker than the SG. As stated, there are many exceptions to the rule. Play them both, if you can feel a difference and prefer one over the other, buy it.

My Gibson Sg faded has a rounded profile and is the thickest neck I have had on any guitar..that includes the 80's Gibson LP I had..as far as a g400..I don't know..I would assume it is thinner like the g310 I have.

Gibson necks can be a crapshoot. They are cut out on a machine, then the finish sanding it done by hand (as in some guy eyeballed it) so no 2 are really ever alike. You gotta try 'em all out in the store to find the one that fits you. (My SG Faded has a flat thin neck, almost in Ibanez territory).

All the Epi SG400 and SG310's I've tried seem to be really consistent from one another.

I have an EPI LP standard (1 yr old) and an EPI SG with a bolt on neck (approx 17 years old)

The SG has a much faster neck with much better access to the higher frets, however, It has been smashed up a few times and rebuilt/modded.

The other thing is that I have had it for 17 years and totally played it in, it has practicly moulded itself to my fingers

I suppose the real answer of course is to go try some out, but I have had a few les pauls over the years (gibby and EPI) and just this one poor beat up SG and if I could spend my money all over again I would go for a gibby SG as I just feel more comfortable with the neck and the better fret access

How does the neck of an SG differ from that of a Les Paul?

Thanks

for me, the neck on my Iommi seems both thinner both thinner and longer than my LP.

Meaning the strings are farther apart on the LP (or at least, seem to be).

I think the nut width is the same, though.

The perception of the wider neck/string spacing makes the LP somewhat easier to play, at least when I'm trying to learn a new song.

Guest alanhindle
How does the neck of an SG differ from that of a Les Paul?

Thanks

According to the Gibson website the old (2007) LP standard came with either the 'traditional 50s rounded neck' or the 'modern 60s slim taper neck'. NB. The new 2008 Gibson LP is only available in the new 'asymetrical neck profile' which is explained on their website. The Gibson SG has either the 50s rounded neck (in the special or standard) or the 60s neck (SG '61 reissue).

As for the current Epiphones, somebody may correct me but I suspect they all have a 60s style neck. My epi standard does feel a lot thinner than my Gibson SG special with its 50s neck. I can't comment on whether Epi SGs have thinner necks than Epi LPs.

To me, my epiphone LP feels more comfortable to pick up and play but I do make more mistakes on it due to what feels like narrower string spacing. Also, even though the strings are 10-46 on both, the SG feels like there is a bit more tension there. However, I can play faster with the SG and, as I said, make fewer mistakes with it. The sound and overall feel of quality is also much better with the SG too. To be honest, I go through phases of playing one more than the other. I suppose I do tend to tinker more with the LP and have a single more serious, prolonged session with the SG.

:-k Somebody may be able to explain this but I wonder whether the neck binding on my LP makes it feel more comfortable to pick up and mess around with. Perhaps if it wasn't for the binding, the perfection of the flamed maple veneer/honeyburst paint job and its feeling of weight it would have less 'pick up and play me' appeal.

I have a 61 reissue SG Elitist and the neck is very slim and provides excellent access to all frets . The fret wire is not nearly as tall as Gibson SG's. I have had many, many guitars, Gibsons, Fenders, Elitist Les Paul and others. To me the neck on this guitar is the best and easiest playing that I have ever had or played.

My Gibson SG Classic almost has a baseball bat style neck. Very fat. (it's nice)

Had a G. SG Standard years back that had a very thin neck, too thin for someone so heavy handed as myself. Really exposed the neck joint issue for me. Prefer the fatter SG Classic neck- that guitar is solid.

My Gibson Les Paul Classic has the 60's thin tapered neck. It is very fast, and also rock solid. That stlye neck is better suited to the Les Paul than the SG for my tastes.

Archived