Gibson Brands Forums

Do guitar polishes help remove scratches ?

Sheesh

Topic.

Alright, I'm planning to get a carnauba wax for my Sherry(unsure of what brand, i'll just pop into the automobile shop and ask for a recommendation), and plan to do some basic maintenance shopping (cloths, new strings etc).

Was wondering if the wax will do the job in removing surface scratches, or must I get an additional scratch remover-kinda solution to do the job ?

Wax is not a polish. Applying wax may fill the light surface scratches and give you an unblemished appearance, but the scratches are still there. I've used Meguiar's successfully to remove surface abrasions like pick marks, but I'd think any sufficiently abrasive compound just make deep scratches worse by wearing down the paint around them.

polishes add scratches. that is, the cloth unless really clean, usually it's not.. puts a bit of swirl in.

after all you're rubbing the finish..

wax can hide the smallest. and ther'es nothing wrong with auto wax products on poly finishes.

scratch and swirl remover gets them out.

But you have to buff at the right speed, using your finger will only get a little effect.

Nice on an already good finish though.

in my experience.

TWANG

Okay to shine your guitar, but don't fret (pun) about the scratches. Did you buy it to wax it or did you buy it to play it? Keep it clean and play it a lot. Worrying about scratches and being obsessed with removing them only takes away from playing time. Beside, scratches never effect tone.

IMHO of course.

aight Just Strum, I feel you. but sometimes, there are those pesky big scratches on the front which arise due to carelessness.

and this being my first electric, it's kinda heartbreaking to see one on the front. gahhh. ):

so i guess a good wax will be able to fill up the void left by the scratch ? or is it really necessary to get a remover ?

I guess we have to guess too, because only you can see the actual condition. If a scratch has gone into the wood, you now own a relic. If its only in the top clear coat, wax may or may not fill it. If it doesn't, polish may or may not remove enough paint to make the mark blend into the paint. It might make it worse. I've got a guitar where that happened (and because I got careless, too) so that wax can hide it. There are also things like paint sticks, available from Stewmac, which is color paint that you melt into the scar, then polish down even and wax over top. Depending on the color of your guitar, you may be able to do a "touch up" with fingernail polish or a permanent marker. Any of these, and even other things, can and do work. But they all vary in use based on what you got, and what you expect to get. Hey! That's 2 questions we can't answer for you.

aight Just Strum' date=' I feel you. but sometimes, there are those pesky big scratches on the front which arise due to carelessness.

and this being my first electric, it's kinda heartbreaking to see one on the front. gahhh. ):

so i guess a good wax will be able to fill up the void left by the scratch ? or is it really necessary to get a remover ?[/quote']

You do realize there are companies that will make scratches on your guitar to make it look more vintage. (they usually call it relics).

Anyway, I've never bothered much about scratches on any of my guitars, not even my Rick (and most Rick owners are obsessed about polish etc etc etc). A little wax now and then should be ok I think.

Trying to remove all scratches is like running to a plastic surgeon for every scar you got. It makes the guitar individual (and recognizable).

I was just surfing o ebay and did a search on "buy it now" Epi. SG and there is a ad for Epi. Les Paul and SG polish to remove sceatches for gloss coated Epi's. I tried to get the link, but a window popped up saying it was copyrighted and wouldn't let me. Says it is specially formulated for Epi's.

Live with the scratches, and be more careful in the future. Scratches happen even with the best of care. Trying to polish them out could cause even more damage. I was always advised to never use anything but pump polishes ( gibson, fender) on your guitar.

I've had some of my guitars over 30yrs. and have never put wax on them.

Gibson pump polish has done a great job on my guitars. One thing that bothers me, though, is that the print on the bottle says that it contains a little lacquer to keep your finish looking good. I can see where that would be compatible with nitro, but how does it mix with a poly finish?

I don't know what finish your guitar has, but if its a sunburst, or any brown toned, or ebony finish, shoe polish works wonders on hiding scratches.

So do the various shades of furniture "touch up" sticks.

Just remember that everything will appear darker on application, than in the container.

Better to start a few shades lighter, and work darker through multiple coats.

I used to use both to repair scratches on gun stocks that needed work when I was a gunsmith.

Also, a light touch of varnish, or shellac, applied VERY sparingly, allowed to dry thoroughly, and buffed with

#0000 steel wool, will leave a nice, waxable shine on damaged surfaces.

Archived