Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional body type: chambered?

Gutch220

Do you think someone could actually tell the difference in a blindfolded test between chambered or holes?

Probably not when amplified, but maybe unplugged. I have one of each and the chambered top seems to vibrate more due to the airspace underneath it. The notes louder when the guitar is not plugged in. I could tell you the difference between mine if I was blindfolded and you were playing them across the room unplugged. It doesn't seem to transfer to the amps though - not to my (perhaps weak) ears anyway. Mine sound different amplified, but I believe it's due to pup difference (BB Pros vs SD Pearly Gates).

I doont think so... In fact I've seen tests where they gave different guys a chambered lester and a swiss cheese lester, and most said "the chambered sounded bad and felt wrong", of course they didnt tell the boys which one was chambered and which one S.C. (different colors). At the end the swiss chees one ended up being "the chambered that sucked in every way posibble"

Do you think someone could actually tell the difference in a blindfolded test between chambered or holes?

Damn right you can . If you know anything about guitars .

Not trying to be nasty but there is one hell of a difference

Understood . Say there is someone who has never played an older model Paul . The Chambered may feel just right .

For me though (i'm old) they just feel "different "

and sound just a tick more shallow .

But ... they do have a very "woody" tone and are very bassy . To me at least .

To each his own . Let your ears and hands mke the decision for you ...

Peace .

You're wrong. Traditionals are not chambered. That's the whole point to this guitar. It's a traditional' date=' weight-relieved Les Paul.[/quote']

That's right - it's got the holes... sorry.

I btw have recentliy bought a chambered Studio - and it's an excellent guitar. It sounds fantastic and I have litterally played tons of Les Pauls over 45 years.

I've played a few balsa Les Pauls and they sounded great.

Felt odd as hell without the weight I'm accustomed to, but played and sounded fine.

I couldn't put my finger on any substantial difference in the tone, but I'm sure it's there.

With a body composition that varies that widely, it cannot be transparent.

Better/worse is not really what I'm after, so how does it play and sound? There's the defining point.

I'm curious what the resale market will be several years down the road, will anybody even care about the difference?

I dunno...

Archived