Gibson Brands Forums

Whammy on a dot

werd1boy

I would highly recommend a Bigsby vibrato tailpiece, as they have been factory or after-market installed on ES335,345,355, Les Paul, SG, etc. for the best part of 50 years. You can get either the sand-cast original aluminum tailpieces or the licensed Bigsby steel tailpieces (cheaper). If you have a good bridge and nut, as well as good tuners (I recommend Grover locking Rotomatics), staying in tune shouldn't be much of an issue. Best bet is to check out their website at www.bigsbyguitars.com. Cheers!

By the way that he said,

Now I know the difference between a whammy bar and a tremolo/vibrato arm' date='[/quote']

I think that he means he wants to put a Floyd-Rose or other type of "whammy" that can be used for divebombs (if I'm not correct I apologize.) I don't think that a Floyd would fit because it needs to be routed into the back of the guitar. Taking a shot in the dark, the width of the guitar and the block of wood in the middle of it would prevent you from doing this. Installing a Bigsby or other type tremolo (for light use) would be no problem to install. You risk losing a tiny bit of sustain but gain versatility. I think it's a good idea!

I pulled my pic for a reason. It seems on the other Epi forum my mods on my Dot and Sherry are causing people to puke. Never have I said that I am a luthier, in fact I have said that I am far from one. I don't have a clue how to make a guitar like some here, I can only make simple modificatons. When asking here about how to cover the holes that would be left over from the tailpiece holes, I was told that years ago people used Custom Made plates, and someone showed some pictures. I liked the idea, it wasn't mine, so I used it. I was in no way implying that I have a Custom Made guitar. That is insane.

I used it cause I don't have a clue how to fill the holes and make them look good, I'm NOT a luthier. And I just don't like the looks of the studs being there after installing a Bigsby. I'm sorry if that plate is offensive to anyone. You won't see it again.

I pulled my pic for a reason. It seems on the other Epi forum my mods on my Dot and Sherry are causing people to puke. Never have I said that I am a luthier' date=' in fact I have said that I am far from one.

[/quote']

JC...I know which thread you are referring to... Don't let it get to you! FWIW You had the guts to perform a mod even though you are NOT a luthier. That deserves praise in my book.

It's your mod, your guitar. It should make you feel proud of yourself. If you are happy with it, please don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

JC...I know which thread you are referring to... Don't let it get to you! FWIW You had the guts to perform a mod even though you are NOT a luthier. That deserves praise in my book.

It's your mod' date=' your guitar. It should make you feel proud of yourself. If you are happy with it, please don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

[/quote']

Boy that was not my intent at all....and it was actually another Bigsby mod thread I was referring to not yours at all. You did a nice job installing it and don't let some a-hole like me on a bad day get to you!!! seriously,what I said was that the pages and pages of accolades that follow a simple Bigsby install make me want to puke. NOT the installation itself......very different. I guess I owe you an apology but my comment was really not directed at you.

Put your picture back up and don't listen to idiots like me! I'll delete that post as well...it's not right to offend anybody like that and I should know better. Sorry.

I do believe Gibson used that type of Custom Made plate themselfs' date=' on 335s in the past. And we kid because we care. Stan.[/quote']

They did! I have a sarcastic streak and sometimes I just type and speak without fully thinking........not my best trait!#-o #-o ](*,) :D I also have a little bias toward Bigsby's in general as my first "real" guitar was a Bigsby Tele and it was a pain in the *** to keep in tune until I pulled the spring out of the bigsby and put a socket in it's place......talk about hack luthier moves.....I butchered quite a few guitars in my youth to be completely honest and I just kinda say some things with that in mind. ...thinking there are quite a few others like me out there. Actually speaking of hack luthier moves the famous Boo-Boo rings that some of the Norlin year deluxe Les Pauls had were pretty Mickey Mouse for a big company when you think about it! Lets cover up sloppy tolerances with a piece of plastic!#-o

I can't see what your problem was, that's a stunning piece you have there sir and if you don't want or like it

I'll gladly take it off your hands....

Thanks again though for the photo, a real nice piece there. Now, I just need to find an Ebony one and we're laughing!

Enjoy your Piece man! ](*,)

I pulled my pic for a reason. It seems on the other Epi forum my mods on my Dot and Sherry are causing people to puke. Never have I said that I am a luthier' date=' in fact I have said that I am far from one. I don't have a clue how to make a guitar like some here, I can only make simple modificatons. When asking here about how to cover the holes that would be left over from the tailpiece holes, I was told that years ago people used Custom Made plates, and someone showed some pictures. I liked the idea, it wasn't mine, so I used it. I was in no way implying that I have a Custom Made guitar. That is insane.

I used it cause I don't have a clue how to fill the holes and make them look good, I'm NOT a luthier. And I just don't like the looks of the studs being there after installing a Bigsby. I'm sorry if that plate is offensive to anyone. You won't see it again.[/quote']

I liked it, myself. I thought it was a cool idea.

Your guitar is too custom. So shut up!

My guitar is also custom.. dagnabit. and getting moreso everyday.

and don't be so touchy about one post man.. there's a lot of us here!

I'm still messing with ideas for the holes..

maybe plastic caps like the vj amps..

maybe I'll fabricate some out of chrome guard material..

and maybe something else.. gonna try a few things and see how it looks.. I'll post some pics.

and if anyone don't like it, they don't gotta!

We need to share this stuff without being too picky about it all.. we all have different tastes.

Your custom plate is a neat idea. and looks fine to me.

I thought about it, myself, but my holes aren't open like that so it would look crummy half hidden.

Hey. one time I had this framus acoustic. and it had a bolt on neck.

the neck screws wore out the wood.. so the neck was a flopping.

I drilled holes all the way through the neck.. and put bolts through the back with the nuts and washers in

between the frets on the board!!

a pretty sight, that.. must have made CF Martin puke and he was dead already and it wasn't even his guitar.

got another year out of that thing, too.

but boy.. what a stupid job. had to hurry before the old man came home and caught me with his tools.

maybe the old geezer had a point, huh?

TWANG

What Twang said, and then some. You will find people who will take offense to your being on the same sidewalk as them. Just ignore them and keep on walking. I had wondered about the Custom Made sign. Now that it is explained I too will keep walking. By the way, I think the Bigsby looks great!

Archived