Gibson Brands Forums

aluminum truss rod cover.. early stages

TWANG

needs a little more fine work and polish.. plus holes drilled.. and it's too tall right now.. but I planned it that way

so I could be sure to line up that top screw hole.

I'll go over it with 1500 then 2400 paper then swirl and scratch remover..and fine file the shape.

pics not too hot again but it's 2 am and so what. *S*

tWANG

elpsttrcover3.jpg

elpsttrcover2.jpg

elpsttrcover1.jpg

I decided against the tr cover. that size just wont polish out, and I think it looks too different.. stands out too much.. clashes

with the chrome grovers.

I think I'll call it a day on aluminum projects for this guitar.

I do have some snakeskin material.. hmmmm. *S*

charlie.. those valve covers would make cool bass finger rests!

man that guys good!

bet he's got tools and everything. *G*

TWANG

oh the pics.. yah the camera isn't dated.. I never cared.

Bummer.....I thought it was lookin' good, from here....... SO-O-O-o-o-oooo, if the aluminium clashes with the chrome tuners, well then.....hows'bout a chrome trc ??? DO IT !!!! .... you know you can .... and get it engraved in some "special way" ......although, admittedly, alu is an "easy" metal to work :-s CRAP - whyTF is there no wink "smily" on here ???!!!??? wink wink, nudge nudge, saynomore saynomore :-k

I decided against the tr cover. that size just wont polish out' date=' and I think it looks too different.. stands out too much.. clashes

with the chrome grovers.

I think I'll call it a day on aluminum projects for this guitar.

I do have some snakeskin material.. hmmmm. *S*

charlie.. those valve covers would make cool bass finger rests!

man that guys good!

bet he's got tools and everything. *G*

TWANG

oh the pics.. yah the camera isn't dated.. I never cared.

[/quote']

Gee, I didn't think it (the TRC) was that bad...in fact, I thought you were doing a good job,

and given that you weren't finished...wanted to polish it, even more...it would probably look

good. We (I, anyway) were just "joshing" you, a bit...that's all. Go for it!!

CB

I've often threatened to mix chrome and gold parts together...just to be "different!" Like, chrome knobs, on gold tuners with gold set screws,

or gold saddles in a chrome bridge, with gold adjustment wheels (or the reverse), that kind of thing. Why be like everyone else? I never have

been, as most of you probably realized, by now? LOL!

CB

It just wont buff out.. must be fairly cheap stuff. the little piece came out ok. .but the big one seems to vary from gray to bright to dull.

If it shined like the small piece, I'd keep it.

maybe I'll try a bigger buffer than the dremel.

also I've got a piece of better aluminum.. and you know me.. it'll eat at me until I try something again.

This time, though, I'll buff out a section first. instead of making the whole thing and then being disappointed.

I was going to engrave it myself.. since it was such soft stuff.. the other piece is much harder and naturally brighter.. that may be a lot harder to

engrave and work with.

the snakeskin just isn't the right shade for this guitar, either. too green.. and mix that with the 3 color sunburst .. just confusing to the eye.

I may go back to the graphite nut, too.. if I get an alum. rod cover.. depends on how I feel about the tone after I try it, but cosmetically I think that would be better.

hey, sometimes chrome and gold looks pretty sharp together.. you can mix black with either, too.. it just depends on the guitar and which pieces.

I've always wondered why you can't get more than gold chrome black chrome.. like red or green, etc.

I know some aluminum can be colored, but I'm not sure it's color through, which would be pretty hot I think.

I'll have to start googling.

TWANG

Through years and years of polishing aluminum parts for Harleys, Mothers aluminum polish is the best and eventually can make any piece of aluminum look like Chrome Twang.

The operative word is eventually. Tons and tons of elbow grease involved, buffer wheels help but, IMO way too much work for a TRC. The other issue is oxidation and you have to re-polish on a regular basis.

Isn't it a pain when good ideas for projects just don't quite turn out the way you think ? Don't let me disuade you though bro !

I buffed it out again.. oddly.. the higher I went up with paper.. the less it polished out?

anyway.. 600 grit seems to be the limit for some weird reason..

and I got it pretty nice.. then I just hit it with clear acryllic paint and put it on. *G*

If it starts to crack or peel or look crappy, I'll take it off but after all the work I decided to use it until then.

There used to be chromer in my little town. I think I'll run up there and see if he's still got his stuff set up..

and talk to him about making some tr covers, and other small pieces.. I'd build the piece and he'd chrome it..

TWANG

Archived