Gibson Brands Forums

Question For The blues Players

Crimson1281734092

Hi Crimson,

Welcome to the forum...it's great to have another blues player join us.

With regard to backing tracks, truth is I make my own! Normally I use a Boss RC-2 loop station pedal, which is a wonderful tool for practicing - because you can hear yourself through your amp as you play (both your backing track and the lead you are playing on top of it.) The only downside is that they are quite an expensive pedal. I bought mine in the U.S. for $175. See: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=819

A much cheaper option, and one that I sometimes use for recording, is a Line 6 Pod Studio. Just plug it into your laptop's USB port and start playing. These are a bit cheaper, about $100 for the GX: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/ although if you find a used Line 6 Toneport (the unit which preceded the Pod Studio) - they are very good too (and very cheap.) I only paid $50 new for mine.

The great thing about blues, of course, is that backing tracks are easy to make. Play around with the I-IV-V and you're there.

Also I sometimes "borrow" drum tracks from helpful musicians on youtube, for example:

or just make my own...http://www.ordrumbox.com/

I don't use pre-recorded tracks that often, because they don't suit my style. I find them a bit overblown, to be honest, rather than the stripped down blues I like. But they are out there. Just google "blues backing tracks" and you'll find stuff like this: http://www.dolphinstreet.com/backing_tracks/ Often, like these, they are free.

Happy jamming...

I use Band-in-a-Box - auto accompaniment software from PG Music

Important Note: I write after-market (3rd party) style and songbook disks for Band-in-a-Box. However, I was a fan of the program before I started writing add-on products for it. To listen to my styles go here: http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html and to view the contents of my blues fake disks go here http://www.nortonmusic.com/fake6.html and here http://www.nortonmusic.com/fake19.html

Here is a low bitrate (low fidelity) mp3 of my Chicago Blues #1 style http://www.nortonmusic.com/mp3/blues_chicago_1.mp3. It was made by simply typing the chord names into Band-in-a-Box with my computer keyboard, choosing my Chicago Blues #1 style, and clicking the play button.

Insights and incites by Notes

I use the my G-Dec for backing tracks. By using the built in computer, you can edit the tempo, style and volume etc. of the backing track. Great fun! I believe there are other similar amps that do the same kind of thing, but these type of amps can be fairly expensive, so websites like www.guitarbackingtrack.com may be useful to you.

I've heard good things about "Band in a Box" but I've never used it myself. There was a post a while back that gave a link to some backing tracks - something like backingtracks.com? Try that in a search on the web. Most of them were rock-n-roll songs, but many rock songs are basically in the I-IV-V pattern mentioned.

Like others, I write and record my own. I use a Boss BR-1600.

These are some great tips, and I'm finding them useful myself, being new to blues lead.

Up to now, I've just been humming (and sometimes imagining) a basic 12 bar, and playing along with lead within the scale, but that can be frustrating, especially when I hit a duff note which throws me out.

I have a tutor come round once a week for an hour, and he gives me new licks and songs to try, teaching me at the same time. I can then look on youtube for that song, and just have it on in the background. None of these, I admit, is up to much.

The loop pedal is a great idea, I'll see what Santa brings when I send him a letter!

Hey guys i have a question for the blues players in this forum.... where do you guys get backround tunes?

"The band Elwood' date=' the BAND." =D>

Reading this post brings to mind that maybe its time for this bluesman to look into some of the 21st century music tools like Band-In-A-Box.

We all know what a pro Notes_ is so if he's using/writing for it then it's where I'm headed first.

WELCOME to the forum Crimson!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

All the suggestions are good, which one is right for you I cannot answer. I'll give some more information about Band-in-a-Box here, perhaps it will help you make the decision that is best for you.

BiaB is an auto-accompaniment program.

1) You type in the chords (Gm7, Fm7b5, D, AMaj9+11 etc.) with your computer keyboard in a grid that represents bars of music.

2) You select a style from the thousands available. PG Music has more than I do, and I have hundreds - you can listen to low-bitrate (fast playing but low fidelity) samples at http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html. These are examples of BiaB's output using an average sound card and my after-market styles. Each demo "song" was created in about 2 minutes. If you are thinking about buying Band-in-a-Box - first listen to a lot of these styles so you know what it can sound like and then go to PG Music and download the free demo program.

3) You can change the key without changing the tempo, you can change the tempo without changing the key, and you can loop the output or a section of the song.

4) You can play it back on your computer's sound card or an external synthesizer Note: BiaB can produce either MIDI backgrounds or "Real Tracks" (Audio) loops - I prefer the MIDI because they load fast, are very editable, and don't take up much hard disk space.

The output is much like those "Arranger Keyboards" by Yamaha, Korg and others, but it is more musical. While those arranger keyboards play the same 2-8 bars over and over again, the style writer for BiaB can write hundreds of different patterns and assign parameters that allow them to appear in musically appropriate circumstances.

Personally, I think Band-in-a-Box is the ultimate practice tool.

The advantages over looping software or music-minus-one CDs are

1) You can play virtually any song you have the chords to. You don't have to buy or find a new backing track for each song you want to learn, simply type in the chords

2) You can practice the song in many different styles. You might want to play a song as a rock, 12/8 blues, 4/4 blues, hiphop, funk, jazz waltz, big band swing, reggae, salsa, rhumba or whatever, limited only by the thousands of styles available all with a few mouse clicks

3) You can change the key with two mouse clicks to any key you want

4) You can change the tempo to incredibly slow to blazing fast without altering sound quality (as long as you use the MIDI output and not the "Real Tracks" looping

5) You can make a MIDI or Wav file out of the song and take it with you.

I sometimes use Band-in-a-Box to help create the backing tracks for my duo, complete details are here http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

The disadvantages of Band-in-a-Box over looping software or music-minus-one disks are

1) The arrangements are rather generic. Song specific background figures are not going to happen, although many styles will be close enough for millions of songs

2) The professional music-minus-one disks sound better because they are played with top-notch musicians and song-specific arrangements, (but you have to buy a new track for every song you want to play)

Once again, I must add that I am an interested party. I write and sell after-market styles for Band-in-a-Box, but I must also add that I was a fan of BiaB as a practice tool before I wrote my first style for it.

I learned more from watching/listening to other good blues players, and just playing along with Blues greats, on CD or DVD. You always hear something new, seemingly, and pick up nice tempo and key changes, too. No one plays even the "standards" exactly the same, artist to artist, so...I've never worried about repeating what they do, as much as learning the licks, and timing, and then do it my way, anyway. Guess I'm "old fashioned" that way, but it works for me.

CB

I learned more from watching/listening to other good blues players' date=' and just playing along with Blues greats, on CD or DVD. <...>...I've never worried about repeating what they do, as much as learning the licks, and timing, and then do it my way, anyway.<...>[/quote']

A good musician learns as much by listening as he/she does by playing.

IMHO There are 3 essential things to being a good blues improviser:

1) Listen a lot - listen until the solos are internalized in your mind's ear

2) Practice your scales in all 5 positions - major and minor pentatonic scales, blues scales (pent with added b5 for minor and b3 for major), major scales, natural minor scales, harmonic minor scales and melodic minor scales

3) Play along with blues progressions (recordings, backing tracks, auto-accompaniment software, other musicians or whatever) experiment first with the pentatonics then the others. Eventually your ear and fingers will start to work together so that you play your own original melodies and in your own style.

It happens faster for some than for others, don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen quickly. When it finally all starts to come together you should get a lot better very quickly.

And remember to keep it fun. That's why that call it playing music.

guitarbackingtrack is ok.

also check out Texas Blues Guitar with CD.. by Robert Calva

this has a bunch of licks.. then lots of long backing tracks.. with lead and without.

I jam on that sucker all the time.. different tempos etc..

it's not comprehensive but it's a good way to sharpen up.. let your mind flow.. get into a groove..

TWANG

Archived